Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
My pup hates being groomed! (he's attacking the comb!)

chnyuppie
Dog Kichi

Oct 5, 2004, 7:09 PM

Post #1 of 22 (3305 views)
Shortcut
My pup hates being groomed! (he's attacking the comb!) Can't Post

Hi there

Was just wondering if any of you have had problems grooming your dog? My pup hates being groomed. He squirms and pulls away, and he really hates the comb! But he is generally manageable as I am v gentle when grooming him and also there're no mats or anything like taht (so it shouldn't hurt him).

Anyway, his behaviour turned out WORSE after a visit to an SS2 grooming parlour/pet shop. Didn't get to see how the groomer conduct the grooming session as the grooming area was off-limits. I had guessed that that visit must have traumatised him and taht the groomer must have been quite harsh with him. When i tried to groom him after that visit, he was v v reluctant to be groomed.

Any tips on getting him to like being groomed?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 6, 2004, 3:23 AM

Post #2 of 22 (3296 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chnyuppie] My pup hates being groomed! (he's attacking the comb!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Aaah ... yes ... it is possible that the trip to the groomer may have frightened your pup ... Just like every other profession, not all groomers are good or experienced ... *sigh* ...

You may have to start all over again ... and slowly get your dog used to grooming ...

Suggestion:

(a) Handle your pup a lot ... get your pup comfortable with your playing/handling its coat, paws etc ... One good way is to let your pup rest on your lap ... offer the pup a chew treat or chew toy in one hand and handle the pup with the other.

(b) Once you pup is used to that ... bring out the brush/comb ... don't groom ... just hold the brush/comb as if it were a toy and let you pup sniff it, play with it etc (don't let the pup destroy the brush/comb though Tongue) ...

(c) After a couple of days ... get someone to hold the chew treat or toy & engage and distract your pup with the toy/treat ... while you slowly start grooming ... just in the area that the pup minds the least ... Keep the session short (with lots of praise) ...

When the pup gains confidence ... you can start grooming properly ...

Always end each grooming session on the UP BEAT ... with lots of praise ... As soon as you notice the pup getting fed-up or upset ... pause, if necessary stop the session, and start again later ... No scolding or holding the pup tightly ... If you get impatient, also stop the session and try later.

The idea is to get the pup to understand that grooming is fun ... and most dogs, once the initial anxiety/fear is overcome - will enjoy grooming sessions ...

As with all forms of training & reconditioning ... it takes time and patience ... but success will come Smile

Cheers

chnyuppie
Dog Kichi

Oct 6, 2004, 3:41 AM

Post #3 of 22 (3292 views)
Shortcut
Thanks surchinmy!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Surchinmy!

Thanks for your v detailed and helpful reply. Ya, i would've thought that that was the thing to do. Am a bit miffed with that SS2 shop. I should've suspected something when their grooming area was cordoned off-limits to visitors. Poor Mac - must have been seriously tramautised! Such a waste of the time i spent at home grooming him! NOw it's down the drain and i have to start all over again.

Man... have to search for another groomer....jeez!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 6, 2004, 8:22 AM

Post #4 of 22 (3286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chnyuppie] Thanks surchinmy!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

As a general rule ... I do not like groomers, or vets, or trainers ... or anyone else for that matter, who insist on handling my dog behind close doors, or require me to leave the room when they handle my dog ... When they do that - I will take my dog and leave ...

Just start handling & grooming your dog again ... immediately ... don't let the anxiety set in ...

Cheers ...

chnyuppie
Dog Kichi

Oct 7, 2004, 12:29 AM

Post #5 of 22 (3271 views)
Shortcut
Fans of Sydney Bristow unite! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there Surchinmy

I have been thinking. In addition to your tips, maybe I could also coat my comb/brush with some bitter spray (or tabasco sauce or lemon juice) to discourage him from attacking the comb. That will leave me free to groom him.

Downside is not sure whether tobasco sauce or lemon juice wil be harmful to him...

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 7, 2004, 3:19 AM

Post #6 of 22 (3263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chnyuppie] Fans of Sydney Bristow unite! [In reply to] Can't Post

... errr ...Tongue ... interesting idea ... but ... aren't you gonna get a dog with a really sticky coat ...

It might work if you put the nasty stuff on the brush/comb ... and let your dog have a taste ... Done enough times, maybe that will teach the dog not to bite the brush/comb ... And ONLY AFTER that little lesson is taught ... do you start grooming (but with a clean brush/comb) ...

Cheers

BaoBao
Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2004, 9:14 AM

Post #7 of 22 (3250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Fans of Sydney Bristow unite! [In reply to] Can't Post

yup.. agree that loads of praises and treats to encourage them after the grooming..Smile..

chnyuppie
Dog Kichi

Oct 7, 2004, 5:32 PM

Post #8 of 22 (3243 views)
Shortcut
Fans of Sydney Bristow unite! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Surchinmy, ya, i was thinking to coat those stuff only at the "bone" area of the comb and not on its "teeth".

Yup! and also lot of praises too!

chnyuppie
Dog Kichi

Oct 13, 2004, 6:53 PM

Post #9 of 22 (3208 views)
Shortcut
Thanks surchinmy!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Surchinmy

Just an update. THings are looking better now. Have not tried by bitter stray theory. What i have been doing is i groom him R-E-A-L slow and gentle, and also with treats given regularly.

THnings looking better, but still not 100%ok. Wondering will all this go down the drain, when we visit our new groomer!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 15, 2004, 6:53 PM

Post #10 of 22 (3190 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Much depends on the temperament of your dog ... So its hard to really say without meeting your dog.

A calm and steady dog, will not regress as quickly or often as a dog with less stedy temperament ...

Maybe the best thing is to go check out the groomer and see how he/she handles dogs ... Just watch, and you will probably be able to decide whether you want the groomer to style your dog ...

A good groomer will not just be good at cutting & styling, but will also know how to handle dogs without frightening them unecessarily.

Also realise, sometimes its not the groomer, but the assistants who cause the problems ... I have unfortunately seen some pretty rough handling when dogs are bathed or blow-dried ...

Cheers

jaytan
Canine Addict

Oct 16, 2004, 9:38 PM

Post #11 of 22 (3179 views)
Shortcut

hi chnyuppie, good to read that things are looking better for you and your doggie. You've already got great advice and I have only one thing to suggest. My doggies are too active for nail clipping. But I have noticed that they are most quiet at around 2-3pm. So, I often choose that time when they seem sleepy to do the nail cutting. It would be impossible in the mornings or evenings when they are really alert. Dunno whether this input will help you but it is worth considering. Best regards,J

chnyuppie
Dog Kichi

Oct 18, 2004, 7:40 PM

Post #12 of 22 (3174 views)
Shortcut
Thanks jaytan!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jaytan

WIll take up your advice. Thanks!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 5, 2004, 7:48 AM

Post #13 of 22 (3124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan, chnyuppie] ... great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good point & good suggestion ... get them when they are half asleep ... Tongue

Cheers

jaytan
Canine Addict

Nov 6, 2004, 5:10 AM

Post #14 of 22 (3109 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] ... great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Surch, sometimes still can outsmart the doggies, heheheh. Best regards,J

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 6, 2004, 5:17 AM

Post #15 of 22 (3105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] ... great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

How are your 2 doggies doing? ... They would be about a year old by now? ... Any pixs? ... Smile

Cheers

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 6, 2004, 5:21 AM

Post #16 of 22 (3101 views)
Shortcut

Hope you found a good person to groom your dog ...

If you are still having problems with grooming your dog ... and you don't mind driving into KL ... email me at surchinmy@yahoo.com and I will let you have the contact to a good groomer we know.

Cheers

jaytan
Canine Addict

Nov 6, 2004, 11:57 PM

Post #17 of 22 (3084 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] ... great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

hahaha, what a doggie enthusiast you are, asking for Beagle pics. I had thought that Beagles looked so alike unless they had some unconformity. But yes, they are 15 months old now. The old avatar was when they were only 5 months old. I will send some pics over as soon as I figure out how to make the camera not smell like a doggie treat. Got a new digital camera just 2 days ago and still testing it, hehehehhe. Best regards,J

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 7, 2004, 8:17 AM

Post #18 of 22 (3077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] ... great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

... 15 months!!! ... time flies ...

Oh no ... all Beagles look different ... and not so difficult to recognise individuals ... Will wait for you to make some pixs with your new digital camera ... Have fun with the camera & the doggies ...

Cheers

ruby_sushi

Nov 21, 2004, 8:01 AM

Post #19 of 22 (2978 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chnyuppie] My pup hates being groomed! (he's attacking the comb!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Is your dog ok now? if u still facing the problem...I suggest u to goto pet shop and ask them how to comb and groom ur dog. Coz for different method. I once visit a pet shop in IKANO and the staff shown me how to use the comb. They said if u use the incorrect method..ur dog will be suffered. They are very friendly n helpful. U can also bring ur dog there..they can demonstrate to u how to use the comb in a correct method so that it won't hurt ur dog. I've learnt a lot from them.

I sent my Sushi for grooming in Ikano too...the good thing is the owner can actually see how they groom ur dog...more safe lar..

Cheers,

Ruby n Sushi
Dogs Lover

michellechen

Jul 25, 2005, 10:14 AM

Post #20 of 22 (2452 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ruby_sushi] My pup hates being groomed! (he's attacking the comb!) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I sent my Sushi for grooming in Ikano too...the good thing is the owner can actually see how they groom ur dog...more safe lar..

How much is d groomin ther? Smile
-michelle-

michellechen

Jul 25, 2005, 10:18 AM

Post #21 of 22 (2447 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] Thanks surchinmy!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can teach me a bit on nail clippin? Hav 2 buy special nail clipper? I'm a new pup owner... Blush
-michelle-

jaytan
Canine Addict

Aug 1, 2005, 1:57 AM

Post #22 of 22 (2428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [michellechen] Thanks surchinmy!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi Michelle
Check out this site:
www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/dog_nails.asp

Frankly I hate clipping the doggies nails and tend to leave them too long before cutting. I have found the clippers with the hole difficult to use cos they get blunt quickly. I much prefer the scissors shaped ones. Maybe you should get an experienced friend or vet to show you how it is done first. Good luck. J

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my