Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Spaniel losing hair

silvrash
Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2004, 6:21 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2197 views)
Shortcut
Spaniel losing hair Can't Post

My cocker spaniel losing hair, lots of hair Crazy.
Anyone out there have a spaniel??? or hav any idea about this?? Is it because it got something wrong, like lack of vitamin or izit suppose to be commonPirate??!!
after i bath then dry it, i found that all the short short hair all over the floor and towel Crazy.
now, there even hair in his water bowl and floor where he roll on.
its my first spaniel so i have no idea izit normal or not but it seem weird...
yesterday afternoon coz he sudden didn't move(scared meFrown) so we sent him to my dad's friend (retired vet, coz all the vet are closed) and asked along, he said it doesn't have any problem.... but still....

hellpppp pleaseee...
www.wretch.cc/album/LilLiFashion

(This post was edited by silvrash on Oct 5, 2004, 6:28 AM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 5, 2004, 8:17 AM

Post #2 of 6 (2187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [silvrash] Spaniel losing hair [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Since it's your "first" spaniel ... I will assume that your dog is still a pup or a young dog ...

Losing coat ... is by itself not necessarily abnormal ... most dogs shed, some breeds shed seasonally - and many young dogs shed excessively when changing from puppy coat to adult coat ...

When a dog's shedding is normal ... then although the coat may get thinner ... the coat that remains (although a little messy) will still look healthy and feel silky ... the skin underneath will also look healthy ...

So:

(i) Observe your dog - is your dog scratching more than normal? Or scratching/licking a particular spot excessively?

(ii) Check the dog carefully all over ... are there any red areas, spots or blemishes? ... Dark patches are often symptomatic of allergies ... while spots or pimples may be indication of bacterial or parasitic infection ... dry/flaking skin may be indication of fungal or yeast infection ...

(iii) Hold you dog close and smell ... if there is any bacterial, fungal, yeast or parasitic infection causing the coat to drop - there will often be a "bad" smell ... quite different from a dog's normal smell ...

In the absence of the above, it's probably normal shedding ... But of course, if you are unsure - then it's a visit to a vet ... just to double check.

Cheers

silvrash
Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2004, 8:00 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Spaniel losing hair [In reply to] Can't Post

hi surchinmy, thanks for the advice Smile

it not really a puppy liaw, coz got 1 year plus already, i got it from a relative.

now you mentioned it, it does have some red spots on. i though they were done by mites so though of getting a mite shampoo or spray... but now what?? will medic soap do??

it does have a very strong smelly smell when it first come "ear pro." but now it better already, no more smell after cleaning it but... then he won't let us touch/ flip the ear that is infect anymore... before this he don't seem to mind us fliping it aroung but suddenly changed..??Unsure

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 6, 2004, 12:00 AM

Post #4 of 6 (2170 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

For skin condition ... it is best to see a good vet ... very difficult to offer any help over a forum without seeing dog.

If its mites, then depending on the type of mites, the treatment is different ...

Take your dog to a good vet ...

Cheers

silvrash
Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2004, 9:01 PM

Post #5 of 6 (2152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Spaniel losing hair [In reply to] Can't Post

hiii, juz took him to the vet but she said it normal sheddingFrownLaugh

juz need to brush the hair more oftenSly

thanx for your advices

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Oct 6, 2004, 9:51 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2145 views)
Shortcut

Ah ... that is good news ... Smile ...

You are most welcome ...

Cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my