How to make him stay in crate

msara
Novice

Sep 22, 2004, 8:43 PM

Post #1 of 7 (1317 views)
Shortcut
How to make him stay in crate Can't Post

Hi, sifus,

I have just owned one puppy... There are times i would want my puppy(silky terrier 8 weeks) to just stay in crate when it's awake. For now everytime when it's up, she want to be out of the crate else non stop growling from her. Yesterday after breakfast and after litting her play a while i put her in crate and she growled... till she vomitted what she ate..

I read some manuals asks me to put some pet toys in the crate... but it seems dont work.

any suggestions..??

thanks!

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 22, 2004, 8:49 PM

Post #2 of 7 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Re: [msara] How to make him stay in crate [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Why you want to crate your Silky? It is cruel you knowShocked

Chrisong is the owner of BlushAmber, BlushAngel, BlushJoyJoy (Silky Terrier)Tongue

msara
Novice

Sep 22, 2004, 9:01 PM

Post #3 of 7 (1302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] How to make him stay in crate [In reply to] Can't Post

i would love to to crate it but i want him to be trained so that when we go somewhere... say to market or even in future out for the whole day....he will stay in it safe and sound.. she's the only puppy at home so im worried or it roaming around alone... it's better to teach him one anyways right?

please share ur thought...

kelsey
K9 Maniac

Sep 22, 2004, 9:27 PM

Post #4 of 7 (1301 views)
Shortcut

i think and it's probably true that ur dog will know if u keep her in the crate and u r in living room watching TV.

i think ur dog thinks her crate is a place of punishment. u should make the crate look welcome. make a proper bed in the crate for her to sleep with a few toys. i don't have a shihtzu but i have a golden retriever.

play with ur dog before u go to work and i don't mean leave her playing with her toy and u do ur things. but play with her, play catch, do some training, praise her and all that stuff. she will value this moment. i normally play with my dog for 2 hours before going to work. then when i tell my dog, ok i have to go to work. she will walk to the crate of course with me in front and get in and sit, then i close the crate door and leave the room. there is no sound from her at all.

but when i don't spend time with her, if i put her in the crate, she will cry and bark a bit. so time is very important. also if u have spent time with ur dog and want to go to market or something. leave some toys in the crate. just tell her u would be gone for a while. put her water bowl in the crate and lure her in, once her body is already in, lock it. she will cry and growl. but leave the room.

if she barks, then leave it. u want to teach her also that crying & barking will not get her out of the room esp when she has spent time with u and also has exercise. it took me 1 week for my GR puppy to see by putting her in the crate it's not a punishment. of course when u left the house, don't jingle the keys or what, she will feel more agitated. when u come home, also don't run to the room and get her out straight, walk queitly in the room, change your clothing or whatever and if she barks, tell her to be quiet. then praise her if she stops and let her out.

if ur dog is growling at u, i think she still haven't quite think u r the leader yet. u may want to re-inforce your authority or sent her to be re-programmed if things gets worse

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 22, 2004, 10:24 PM

Post #5 of 7 (1299 views)
Shortcut

Use crate as a punishment only. When your Silky is doing something bad only you use crate. That's the way to teach your Silky. Your Silky will soon learn what are the things that can do & things that cannot do.Wink You will have a better dog later.

My 3 Silky was not crate when I was not at home. My Silky own my house. They are like my children. They all are toilet train & well behave. You will see they all are very happy to stay in the house. Imagine if you are the Silky your owner go out you must go inside the crate. Will you be happy? Even you put toys in the crate?

What I want to say is to be patience. Catch him while he is doing something wrong then only you use crate.Wink Treat him like your children.Wink

Chrisong is the owner of BlushAmber, BlushAngel, BlushJoyJoy (Silky Terrier)Tongue

msara
Novice

Sep 22, 2004, 10:44 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] How to make him stay in crate [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks very much for you good people replies.. :)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 23, 2004, 9:02 AM

Post #7 of 7 (1271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] How to make him stay in crate [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Just some thoughts ...

Wild dogs in their natural habitat, will by and large live in dens ... be it little caves, hidey-holes in bushes etc ... and such like.

Even today, this instinct to "den" remains strong. If you observe strays, you will find them resting & sleeping, in/under culverts and den-like structures ... that's where they feel safe ... This instinct is also quite strong in pet dogs. Watch any pregnant dog preparing to give birth ... and you will see the bitch start looking under beds, behind cupboards or a quiet corner to "den" and have her babies ...

Crate-training - is premised on this basic instinct ...

Especially for owners with limited space, it is good idea to "crate-train" your dog ... Proper crating of a dog is not cruel (with emphasis on the word "proper").

Crating is not for punishment, and proper crating technique enhances and uses a dog's natural instinct to den, to teach the dog that its crate is a safe place for it to rest ... In fact, once proper crate training is taught, the crate should NEVER used as a form of punishment. Using a crate as a form of punishment contradicts the concept that a crate is a safe haven, a place for sleep & rest.

But that said ... it is EQUALLY IMPORTANT that crating must NEVER be abused ... and a dog should NEVER be crated for long periods, without access to water, opportunity to leave the crate to pee & poop ... to stretch its legs, run & play.

Get hold of any good dog training manual ... and you will usually find a chapter on how to correctly use a crate, and how to effectively and properly carry out crate-training. In the meantime use the Search Function and check "crate" and "crating". This topic has been discussed before.

If you need to leave your dog alone in the house for more than a few hours ... then don't use a crate, but use a dog/puppy pen instead ... Arrange the pen such that the dog has access to its place of elimination ... and remember to leave a bowl of clean water for the dog.

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 23, 2004, 9:15 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my