Excessive Peeing

adrianteo
New User

Sep 20, 2004, 11:39 PM

Post #1 of 4 (1289 views)
Shortcut
Excessive Peeing Can't Post

Hi,

I have a 9 month old male shih tzu. He is trained to pee in a tray lined with newspaper, which he does faithfully.

The problem is that he drinks a lot of water throughout the day and therefore, pees a lot. So much so that the tray gets flooded. When that happens, he will pee around the tray to avoid getting his legs dirty. Needless to say, it messes up my floor.

My question is:

1) is it normal for a dog to drink so much?
2) is it safe to 'force' him to hold his pee until I get back from work? (he will not pee if I remove the tray)
3) should I let him drink in the morning and remove his drinking water until I get back in the evening?
4) Any other suggestions?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 21, 2004, 10:40 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1270 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adrianteo] Excessive Peeing [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

1) is it normal for a dog to drink so much?

Personally, I prefer a dog that drinks a lot to a dog that possibly does not drink enough.

Water is cleansing ... and just as people need water to clean out our systems, dogs do too ... Dogs that drink a lot will generally have cleaner/fresher breath and will be constantly flushing toxins and waste out of their system ... this is good.

We encourage our dogs to drink as much as possible. The only restriction we have is ... last water drink at 8pm ... so that there is minimal need to let them out at night to pee and they can hold till morning.

We have a little one living (about 5months old) with us right now ... And I will take him for his last walk and pee at about midnight ... so that he does not have to hold his bladder for too long a period ...

2) is it safe to 'force' him to hold his pee until I get back from work? (he will not pee if I remove the tray)

As a rule of thumb a dog's body does not mature completely until a dog is close to a year old.

Puppies and young dogs will pee and poop more often than an adult dog, because their bodies are still developing, and they have not fully developed the ability to hold and/or regulate their elimination ...

Any attempt to restrict pee & poop (or forcing a young dog to hold a full bladder) before the dog's urinary system is fully matured is NOT good or healthy for the dog ... Imagine, someone forcing a 3year old child to hold his/her bladder or bowels ...

3) should I let him drink in the morning and remove his drinking water until I get back in the evening?

For the same reasons above, restricting the water intake for pups and young dogs is also not healthy or wise.

4) Any other suggestions?

YES ...

You seem to have a dog that has learnt its house training very well ... Even at this tender age, your dog is already sensible enough not to pee or poop except in his tray ...

But for some reason, instead of being happy & praising your dog's sense of cleaniness - you say his peeing is a problem ...

Seriously ... what problem? ... all you have to do is empty the tray more regularly ... or get a bigger/deeper tray ... or perhaps line with more newspaper ... And problem solved.

My suggestion is be glad you have such a good dog and stop worrying about your floor.

Cheers

adrianteo
New User

Sep 21, 2004, 6:03 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1254 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Excessive Peeing [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey,

Thanks for the response. Don't get me wrong. I'm not upset with my puppy. He does have his occasional mishaps but overall he does a good job.

I am only concerned about his drinking and peeing habits as my sister's Jack Russell doesn't exhibit this behaviour. Just wanted to hear what the people on this forum think, that's all.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 21, 2004, 10:04 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1241 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adrianteo] Excessive Peeing [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to hear that ... Smile ... Think your young dog is fine ... let him drink as much as he likes during the day time ... just restrict water a couple of hours before bedtime ...

All the best

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my