Home: Breed Specific: Hound Group:
beagle's original appearance????

danielle
Novice

Sep 15, 2004, 1:00 AM

Post #1 of 15 (1637 views)
Shortcut
beagle's original appearance???? Can't Post

Hie, I'm a newbie here and i'm quite interested in beagle since the day I received a dog owner's guide book from Pedigree. I find that beagle is really adorable and wish to own one in the near future too. So I began to look up for every information regarding to this breed on the internet and came across few sites including this one. The 1st thing in mind was to find out if beagle was really that cute as wat i've seen earlier in the guide book by looking tru the owner's gallery. From my observation, some of the beagles had a long and sharp muzzle which is slightly different from my expectation (shorter & square muzzle, with big eyes). Some even had long body. I was wondering if those were the crossbreed btween beagle and basset/foxhound. Or... that's how a beagle usually look like. Could anyone enlighten me on this??? How am I suppose to determine whether a beagle is really a beagle when the time comes for me to get one???? Please help....Shocked

MisterStan
Doggyman

Sep 15, 2004, 1:46 AM

Post #2 of 15 (1633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [danielle] beagle's original appearance???? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there. there are difference between a beagle and bassets. bassets body are longer and shorter, beagles body are taller but shorter. bassets ears are longers. and there are difference in the face of both bassets and beagles. i upload a basset and a beagle from the side view. hope you can differentiate.

the guide book you received from pedigree, did the book mentioned how the standard breed of a beagle should be?

the pic uploaded is beagle.
Attachments: beagle.jpg (8.15 KB)

MisterStan
Doggyman

Sep 15, 2004, 1:49 AM

Post #3 of 15 (1630 views)
Shortcut

this pic upload is basset.

http://www.akc.org/...recbreeds/beagle.cfm

this site above is the information for beagle standard.

http://www.akc.org/...recbreeds/basset.cfm

the site above is for basset standard.

Smilegood luck in finding your beagle.
Attachments: basset.jpg (8.05 KB)

Koogiebus
Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2004, 8:24 PM

Post #4 of 15 (1604 views)
Shortcut

Beagle good profile:
Head: Fair length, powerful without being coarse, finer in the bith, free from frown and wrinkle
Muzzle: Not snipy, lips reasonably well flewed.
Nose: Broad, preferably black, but less pigmentation permissible in lighter colored hounds. Nostrils wide.
Eyes: Dark brown or hazel, fairly large, not deep set or prominent, set well apart with mild, appealing expression.
Mouth: The jaws should be strong, with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite.
Neck: Sufficiently long to enable hound come down easily to scent.
Forequarter: Shoulders well laid back, not loaded. Forelegs straight and upright well under the hound, good substance, and round in bone, not tapering off to feet. Pasterns shorts. Elbows firm, turning neither in nor out. Height to elbow about half height at withers.
Skull: Slightly domed, moderately wide , with slight peak. Stop well defined and dividing length, between occipent and tip of nose, as equally as possible.
Ears: Long, with rounded tip. reaching nearly to end of nose when drawn out. Set on low, fine in texture and hanging gracefully close to cheeks.
Body: Topline straight and level. Chest let down to below elbow. Ribs well sprung and extending well back. Short in the couplings but well balanced. Loins powerful and supple. Without excessive tuck up
Tail: Sturdy, moderately long, Set on high, carried gaily but not curled over back or inclined forward from root. Well covered with hair, especially in underside.
Hindquarters: Muscular thighs. Stifles well bent. Hocks firm, well let down and parallel to each other.
Color: Any recognised hound color other than liver. tip of stern white.
Size: Desirable minimum height at withers: 33cms. Desirable max height at withers: 40cms
Feet: Tight and firm. Well knuckled up and strrong padded. Not hare-footed. Nails short
Coat: Short, dese and weatherproof
***** KOOGIE LOVES U ALL ***********

danielle
Novice

Sep 16, 2004, 1:43 AM

Post #5 of 15 (1589 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] beagle's original appearance???? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
hi there. there are difference between a beagle and bassets. bassets body are longer and shorter, beagles body are taller but shorter. bassets ears are longers. and there are difference in the face of both bassets and beagles. i upload a basset and a beagle from the side view. hope you can differentiate.

the guide book you received from pedigree, did the book mentioned how the standard breed of a beagle should be?

the pic uploaded is beagle.

Nope, the book doesn't mention the standard breed. Wat about the one in ur avatar, Misterstan????

MisterStan
Doggyman

Sep 16, 2004, 3:40 AM

Post #6 of 15 (1588 views)
Shortcut

the one in avatar ok. i assumed it meet the requirements of a standard beagle breed. i heard from my friend that the hands and legs of a beagle, like wearing socks, white color at all hands and legs. the tip of the tail have to be white. the ears must be able to touch the nose. maybe you should buy a book about beagle from mph for reference. i borrow it from my neighbour, and i have returned it. but if do not believe in pet shops, try look for breeder. the star newspaper have ads for pups on sale. Smile

wais81
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2004, 5:58 PM

Post #7 of 15 (1578 views)
Shortcut

well danielle,

this might help you out

http://www.akc.org/...recbreeds/beagle.cfm

well dun be worried, as i have said to henry, some beagle in this world, although they may not meet the standard for show, they are pure bred, if your are not planning to show, then general apperance is the key for you if u're choosing a puppy, well i bought my beagle in like one night, i was looking for a beagle and i contacted my breeder(supplier), then she told me she has one in p.j area, so i went and have a look and i paid straight away because she was such a beauty. if u need help can contact me. Chris-LF@streamyx.com

Christopher

MisterStan
Doggyman

Sep 16, 2004, 6:14 PM

Post #8 of 15 (1576 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wais81] beagle's original appearance???? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi. actually i have nothing to worry though.henry is still henry ekeke. thanks for your advice. wow, you paid right after. you must have prepared the money and have intention to buy yo yo. good for you. luckily the breeder is nearby. yo yo very cute, but not cute enough. do you know why? because i have not played with her yet. Tongue

danielle, if you need help, contact any of us, or contact wais. he will kind hearted and generous Tongue. good luck in finding your beagle friend. Cool

wais81
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2004, 6:19 PM

Post #9 of 15 (1575 views)
Shortcut

well,

that day i so happened to have got some cash in my wallet cause i just sold one of the shih tzu, so ngam ngam got money to buy her lor...really happy to see her with black saddle all the way up till the neck...like wearing a coat..and her coat is very shiny dunno why.haha...doctor ask me if i put oil on her body...well i am not kind hearted and generous, i am just a lousy pet shop owner trying to con ppl...hahaha just joking, well i just do wat i can do to help, we are all dog lovers anyway..right?..

Christopher

MisterStan
Doggyman

Sep 16, 2004, 6:35 PM

Post #10 of 15 (1574 views)
Shortcut

oh i see. luckily you sold your shih tzu. actually i don't know why beagle's body are shining black. henry's body also, and brown coat are growing.

henry just jatuh his first teeth. so small. Smile dog lovers help dog lovers. dogs help dogs. wais cons customer (Jk)

wais81
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2004, 6:40 PM

Post #11 of 15 (1573 views)
Shortcut

haha,

Tongue wei if i could con all the customers then at least my shop won;t go brankrupt, hahaha jk, well, my concept is to sell healthy puppies from local breeders. not from thailand or puppy mills. if i could i would have breed all the dogs myself, but i can't. the actual reason i wanted to open a pet shop is because i just love dogs too muhc until everyday also talk about dogs, so without space to rear anymore dogs, opening a pet shop with grooming, i can actually see and play with people's doggies..haha...i guess this is the win win situation for me as well lar..attention all doggie lovers, well i would need ur support and i would be glad to accept any opinions on how to run a great petshop...ideas pls...

Christopher

MisterStan
Doggyman

Sep 16, 2004, 6:52 PM

Post #12 of 15 (1572 views)
Shortcut

i will 100% percent support your new shop. if you shop have extra space, maybe you can put some tables and chair, for people to sit down, and chat around (puppy.com members) and their doggy can play. Smile

wais81
Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2004, 7:28 PM

Post #13 of 15 (1571 views)
Shortcut

hello,

well i do have one table and four chairs...enough..haha...its for pet owners waitingf for their furkid to be groomed...some wants to stay and watch u know....might be selling can drinks lar..haha

Christopher

MisterStan
Doggyman

Sep 16, 2004, 8:13 PM

Post #14 of 15 (1563 views)
Shortcut

ahahaha. i will be coming there and sit to chit chat, and to relax. i will bring own water. ekekeke. Smile

ohmybeagle
Dog Kichi

Sep 29, 2004, 3:01 AM

Post #15 of 15 (1499 views)
Shortcut

There is basically two types of beagles......they are both purebreds but they do have a big difference in values when it comes to buying a beagle for dog showing business or just purely pet owning business. Almost all championship winner beagles have a square muzzle with a big skull and they have a sturdy body. The other kind is the narrow muzzle and small head type which cannot qualify to enter championship shows. some people just dont care wide muzzle or narrow muzzle and some just dont know the difference. In the beagle world the narrow muzzle one is not worth a penny and is inferior to the wide muzzle one. In other words the narrow muzzle one does not meet up with beagle standard at all and can only go to pet homes.....nevertheless.....in the eyes of beagle lovers.....they are still the very same beagles and deserve the same love from humans.....it's just the difference occuring when it comes to any dog shows.....

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my