Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Behavioral Problems: Barking & Growling Problems:
Abby's growling and biting behavior ?????

vjroach
New User

Sep 8, 2004, 3:30 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2165 views)
Shortcut
Abby's growling and biting behavior ????? Can't Post

We have an 8.5 week old Lhasa Apso puppy which has been in our house for 1.5 weeks and her behavior has been fairly normal for a pup until this morning, normally she would only bark or growl when we are playing with her but today (All Day) she has been barking and growling at us when we are sitting on the coach or going to pick her up. Our daily routine has not changed and she gets her daily exercise outside is this normal or are we doing something wrong. We are new to puppy parenting

Thanks

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 9, 2004, 9:41 AM

Post #2 of 5 (2148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vjroach] Abby's growling and biting behavior ????? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Use the search function and do a search on the words ... "barking" ... "growling" ... this topic has been much discussed ... and you will find lots of useful suggestions ...

Chances are ... your little fella is starting to show some "dominance" ...

Sometimes, because an Apso is small, and so cute ... we get "misled" into thinking its a little cuddly fur ball ... forgetting that an Apso is still very much a dog with dog instincts and dog behaviour ... Apso, were originally prized for their watchdog abilities ...

Unlike many other little dogs ... the Apso was not bred to be "small" or into a "toy" ... but are naturally occurring small dogs ... an "authentically natural breed" ... They were never bred to be "toys" but rather, to be sentinels and guardians. So, it would be wrong to expect an Apso not to exhibit territorial tendencies ... The important is for you to learn how to train and control such tendencies ... and you will have a wonderful companion and friend ...

http://www.lhasa-apso.org/articles/tibet.htm

If you are new to puppy rearing ... I would certainly suggest you get yourself a good dog manual ... and better still, also get a book on understanding dog behaviour and dog language ...

Go to Amazon.com and do a search on "Dog Training" ... "Dog Behaviour" ... you will find lots of books and reviews of books ... Then you can order from Amazon or buy locally.

Cheers

joanch
Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2005, 6:25 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Abby's growling and biting behavior ????? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi surchinmy,
i have a small question here... i hope you can help me out?
my puppy is a Beagle mix German Pischer.. since he was born in June 2005, he is still a puppy. i would like to train him and know his characteristics more by reading books... but shd i get a book about Beagle or a book about G.Pinscher? or both?
its good if you have any book in mind...
thanks a lot...
regards
I have a Papillon and an Australian Silky Terrier. One sheds and the other one needs grooming quite a lot

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 30, 2005, 9:54 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1635 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joanch] Abby's growling and biting behavior ????? [In reply to] Can't Post

A Beagle or G.Pinscher book? ...

Actually neither ... because: Beagle and G.Pincher ~ very unusual cross ...

Anyways ~ the Beagle is a hound, the G.Pincher a Terrier ... so not just different in look - they are also very different in style, type and temperament ... and bred for quite different purposes.

A breed specific book is most useful when you have a pure breed. Once you cross the breeds, its very hard to predict which breed characteristics will dominate or be subservient (kinda like playing roulette here) ... Especially when you a speaking of a cross between such different types of dogs.

So - the usefulness of a breed specific book is very much negated.

Suggest you get (a) a "general" dog book on training and (b) a "general" dog behaviour book. This will be money better spent than getting a breed specific book.

For book recommendations ... check out this thread and read the various reviews ...

www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A383ABZY40JIYO/104-3340681-1479134

And this is a good general dog training book:

Good Owners, Great Dogs (Paperback) by Brian Kilcommons, Sarah Wilson

This is a good dog behaviour book:

The New Better Behavior in Dogs: A Guide to Solving All Your Dog Problems by William E. Campbell

Cheers & happy hunting for books.

joanch
Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2005, 5:27 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1626 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Abby's growling and biting behavior ????? [In reply to] Can't Post

oh ok...
thanks for your advice, was gonna buy the book today already, luckily i didn't-)
well, anyway, i will hunt for the books you mentioned...
we'll see the progress later;-)
regards
I have a Papillon and an Australian Silky Terrier. One sheds and the other one needs grooming quite a lot

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my