Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Canine Hip Dysplasia:
My puppy cant walk properly!

JudyBeee
Novice

Sep 6, 2004, 8:03 PM

Post #1 of 4 (4496 views)
Shortcut
My puppy cant walk properly! Can't Post

I am not too sure what is the problems with my 2 Shih Tsu..

They are 8 weeks old now, most of the puppies in this age will start jumping around or playing with others.But mine doesn't seem to be normal as their back legs are not standing properly and very weak in suppporting. I afraid that they are having some joint problem or maybe their progress of growing is slower than others.

They have 1st vaccination last week and the Vet didn't highlight any issues about my puppies. I have asked a few friends and what they suggested to me was to force them walk and stand. Do you think this can helps?

Does anyone have any better solutions? Pls advice...I don't want to see my puppies suffer when they grow bigger..

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 7, 2004, 7:49 AM

Post #2 of 4 (4480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JudyBeee] My puppy cant walk properly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

At 8 weeks a pup should be most active and running around ... all limbs should be sound ...

A pup that cannot support itself at 8 weeks must be carefully examined by an experienced and knowledgable vet ...

You cannot and should not force the pup to stand, walk or run ... that does not solve any problems and may just create even more problems.

Please take your pups to a good vet and have your puppies examined. Please tell the vet your problem carefully and clearly.

All the best.

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Sep 7, 2004, 8:05 AM)

JudyBeee
Novice

Sep 8, 2004, 10:03 PM

Post #3 of 4 (4462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] My puppy cant walk properly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your feedbackWink

I have been observing their movement for these days and saw some improvement in them. They can stand and walk for a while..

I guess I will still bring them to Vet and do a check out before the 2nd vaccination..This time i wont bring to the same Vet. Any ideas where can get an experienced and knowledgable Vet?

Hopefully it is nothing to do with their joint...

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Sep 9, 2004, 8:49 AM

Post #4 of 4 (4454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JudyBeee] My puppy cant walk properly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let me put this in another way ...

A pup's growth rate from birth to 1 year is equal to that of a child from birth to about 10years... In other words, a puppy grows and matures at nearly 10 times faster than a human being during it's first year ...

At 8 weeks pups are supposed to be very active, curious, full of energy and full of life ...

If your pups are not moving properly at 8 weeks ... it is serious!

Such a condition can be caused by a whole range of possible factors ... from malnutrition, to lack of exercise ... to genetic issues ... and joint problems ... All of which requires immediate action and remedy ... It is impossible to do any diagnosis over a forum of this nature.

The longer you wait the more difficult it may become to treat and help your pups ...

Any defect or problem a dog suffers as a pup is likely to leave long term and even life long effect ...

Because a pup grows at such a phenomenal rate ... if you wait even for a month ... it is equivalent to waiting for ONE YEAR in human terms ...

My serious suggestion is that you take your pups to a good vet NOW ... Try the vet clinic in Medan Damansara, Damansara Heights ... They have good experienced vets there ... there is only one vet clinic there ... along the shop row nearest the mosque & next to the Chemist ... you cannot miss it ...

You cannot say you are worried about your pups and then say you will wait until the 2nd vaccination before having the pups examined.

Cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my