Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog's Rights and Protection:
A SAD STORY

chrisong
Doggyman

Aug 17, 2004, 9:59 PM

Post #1 of 6 (2247 views)
Shortcut
A SAD STORY Can't Post

This is Maxwell. Maxwell was turned over to a rescue group by his owner. He is each too ill to be helped, and put to sleep...abandoned by their people when they needed them the most.

As much as I love to tell about success stories and happy dogs with their new families, I feel this story should be told. The letter that follows was written by Maxwell's rescuer, Cheryl Reed.

Hello.

I just wanted to let you know that your dog died today. He left for what was undoubtedly the biggest journey of his life with a stranger by his side instead of his loved one.

You brought him to us and made up an excuse about not being able to keep him. I hope it made you feel better, because it hurt him terribly and his death has hurt me even more. He was old and sick. He had been neglected in ways that were shameful. His coat was dirty and matted. Would it have taken up so much of your valuable time to have brushed him even once a week? His teeth were rotted and broken. Infection was rampant and he was in great pain. You would never neglect your own oral hygiene that way; why did you make him suffer like that? He had multiple tumors. Didn't you see or even feel the grape sized lump on his leg? Or his neck, or his back, or his stomach? Did you ever touch your dog? Did you notice the cataracts that were clouding his eyes; making seeing you more difficult? He must have been blind, or he would have seen you for what you were, and wouldn't have missed you so much as you left him.

He gave you all that he had and was for his entire life, and you cast him aside when he needed you most. You couldn't fulfill even his most basic needs during his life, but yet he loved you without measure.

We took in your "problem". I'm sure that you thought it was easy and convenient to give your family member to rescue. You wouldn't have to pay for treatment, or be ashamed when it didn't work because it was too little, too late. In your mind, it was all taken care of and he'd find a wonderful home and be whole again in body and spirit.You never gave a thought to him or to us.

Yes, I had him a very short time. I watched him suffer and struggle. I saw and felt his confusion and pain. I loved him in a way that you were never capable of. When I took him on his final journey, it was very hard for me. I held him and told him that he was loved. Your dog kissed me in his final moments and at that second, your dog became mine. Truly mine. I know that he will wait for me at the Bridge. I just wanted you to know that MY dog died today!

Cheryl Reed

4/5/00

SOURCE: STCA

(This post was edited by chrisong on Aug 17, 2004, 10:02 PM)

terryf

Aug 20, 2004, 2:11 AM

Post #2 of 6 (2187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] A SAD STORY [In reply to] Can't Post

Unimpressed If this a true story ... I'm salute Cheryl. Pets is just like us ... only live once and their life even shorter.

If you are not prepare to care the "old and sick" pet, please please please be kind heater ... for NOT to adopter anymore in the future.

Let them get someone who could give them a better home compared with you.

melissa
ALPHA

Aug 24, 2004, 10:28 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1981 views)
Shortcut

a sad story... in the fact there are so many dog abusers out there where they shouldn't bring it home in the 1st place. Dog is not a toy, when you feel bore with it and don't like it anymore, you can keep it in your store room or just dump it away Unsure.

Click here to join Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

My three furkids ^_^ Gigi, Cherry & Belle ^_^

ladee_m
Doggyman

Aug 27, 2004, 1:10 AM

Post #4 of 6 (1878 views)
Shortcut

HI Smile

Sad but very tru that there are many weirdos out there Mad... not too long ago, I helped rehome a silky who was also suspected of being abused... he had bruises all over his tiny body... everytime someone try to approach him, he flinches before they even touch him Unsure... he belonged to my dad's neighbour... they had some domestic problems and the poor doggie became the victim... in the end they just threw the doggie out on the road where my dad took him in and ask to look for a home for him...I was shock when my dad told me what happened... atleast that silky went to a good home and is making good recovery now... one other min pin they had died suddenly of unknown reason Pirate... may all the abused doggies out there have angels by their side...

CLICK ON =>Poodles' Friendly Gang ListSmile

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.

crazymouse_yyh
Doggyman

Aug 27, 2004, 3:21 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1874 views)
Shortcut

Sigh.... such a sad story.... poor Maxwell, I'm glad he was rescued by Cheryl...

Sometimes I wonder why these so called humans want to keep a dog when they can't even care for it.... sounds just like my neighbours....... crazy peopl who keep dogs just to guard their house.... I don't think the dog has ever been let out of the house for a run, always chained up... poor soul.... I'll be trying to get a picand report them to SPCA coz I really pity the dog... the only shelter it has is a broken umbrella and some plants....... and these peopl are not poor, they have a very nice house.......

Willy, my beloved shih tzu (22 March 1994- 8 August 2005) May you rest and live happily in Rainbow Bridge with the rest. You will forever be deeply missed by all.

Puppies and kittens, helpless and innocent are always roaming the streets as strays. Adopt from animal shelthers to save them.
THEY NEED YOUR HELP AND LOVE

Sydney
Doggyman

Aug 28, 2004, 8:30 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1841 views)
Shortcut

This is the sadest dog story i have ever read. So sad. I almost want 2 cry.Frown Poor maxwell. a good dog died. Waaa!!!!!!!!!!FrownFrownFrownFrown

FrownFrownSidney's DogsterFrown
Frown
Your's truly,
Sydn3yFrownFrownFrown

DragonArt

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my