Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Serious Skin Problem. anyone can help??!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

corryn
Novice

Aug 12, 2004, 12:12 AM

Post #1 of 31 (5746 views)
Shortcut
Serious Skin Problem. anyone can help??! Can't Post

Hi All

I have a 4 months old mixed breed dog. he has some serious skin problem - rashes with pus all over his body. Vet says he has poor immune system. Suggested to give him Omega 3 and vitamins. Vet has also given him some jabs and medication. Also suggested I use the 'Malaseb' shampoo.

Th problem is once his medication is finished, the rashed with pus will come back. This has occur thrice already.

I have given him cod liver oil with omega 3, vitamins and using the 'Malaseb' shampoo and it doesn't seems to work.

I am really at my wits end.

I hope Derrick Kok (I read his thread posted some years back) will be able to help me as he has some remedy which should be able to help.

Btw, I am residing in Johor Bahru.

Rgds
Corryn

fred
Novice

Aug 14, 2004, 3:30 AM

Post #2 of 31 (5722 views)
Shortcut
Re: [corryn] Serious Skin Problem. anyone can help??! [In reply to] Can't Post

If im not wrong u can try neem oil........no harm to try but the best is u get advice from your vet at the 1st place. I just try on my dog, hope it will work on him.....

Bull Lover
Doggyman

Aug 18, 2004, 12:08 AM

Post #3 of 31 (5694 views)
Shortcut

did ur vet check ur doggie food for u? change his diet to lamb and rice...lamb and rice is the best diet for doggie with skin problem.. try to get some skin coat suppliment with omega 3 + 6.. in oil form is better... look out the pet shop. there is a a kind of bubat.. gel form.. name something like oxyfresh... thats a good one.. rub on the itchy place.. hope help u lah.. and keep ur doggie dry..

** Taro & Foo **

Check it out! ITS FUN!!
THE BULLDOG STATION **drop us a visit **
PHOTO ALBUM : PUPPY.COM & OTHERS
Ref: Pg 18; 19

TARO Nippon Adv

MORE ABOUT GERBIL

j_ove2

Aug 19, 2004, 8:14 PM

Post #4 of 31 (5656 views)
Shortcut

yes, what bull lover said is true. give ur doggie lamb n rice formula . it's better. maybe u can dry this brand CA Natural. it's good for the skin. n for the itchiness too. perhaps u can try to make some lemon solution n spray u ur doggie daily. it will help to dry the area and make him feel better.

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

chrisong
Doggyman

Aug 19, 2004, 8:43 PM

Post #5 of 31 (5654 views)
Shortcut

Hi Corryn & everyone!!!

Yes, Lamb & Rice / Fish & Potatoes claim to be good for Skin. But not all the brand of dog foods is same. Please look into the label content carefully. E.G. If you buy Lamb & Rice there must not have chicken/meat by product in the content.

Usually Skin allegy can be due to many factors. One of the factor is food. So, It does't mean that when you feed Lamb & Rice / Fish & Potatoes is good for your dogs Skin it might be some certain ingredient in the food that causes allegy. This food allegy thingy in my personal opinion you need to try & error. Untill you find the right dog food for them.

For Corryn case, I dont think is food allegy.

corryn
Novice

Aug 20, 2004, 1:30 AM

Post #6 of 31 (5636 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Serious Skin Problem. anyone can help??! [In reply to] Can't Post

My puppy is currently on lamb and rice diet. I have also changed his biscuit to lamb and rice but the problem still persist. Maybe it is really his immune system that is causing it and not allergy as per the vet.

He is also on omega 3 & 6 oil. But all these does not seems to help.

Anyway, thank you everyone for your concern and advice.

fred
Novice

Aug 20, 2004, 4:02 AM

Post #7 of 31 (5627 views)
Shortcut

Hi there, u can try give ur pup only chicken. i've tried b4 now better already, b4 this i gave lanb & rice but he still scratch non stop and i try only chicken, it works.Wink

Bull Lover
Doggyman

Aug 20, 2004, 7:49 PM

Post #8 of 31 (5606 views)
Shortcut

yes u have to try 1 by 1 ah.. coz my vet told me b4 ah.. evn fruit some doggie also canot tahan one.got allergy too.. slowly lah.. hope u baby will get well soon lah.. or what u use to clean his cage also ah..

** Taro & Foo **

Check it out! ITS FUN!!

TARO Nippon Adv

MORE ABOUT GERBIL

j_ove2

Aug 20, 2004, 11:42 PM

Post #9 of 31 (5585 views)
Shortcut

hi Corryn,
i think u just need to try n try.. my vet once told me, the detergent u use to wash ur floor also may cause allergy. if it's immune syst, do u leave ur dog alone for long? try not to do that. they will feel stressed especially if they're puppy. shower them with loads n loads of love.. they'll feel happier. Smile

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

corryn
Novice

Aug 28, 2004, 1:03 AM

Post #10 of 31 (5476 views)
Shortcut
Re: [j_ove2] Serious Skin Problem. anyone can help??! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Everyone

I have taken my dog to a pet shop who has given him some jabs and he is recovering very well now.

Since he has just taken the jab, I will observe and see if the problem will come again.

Anyway, once again, thanks everyone for your kind advice.

Rgds
Corryn

shaun_sia
Novice

Oct 11, 2004, 10:09 PM

Post #11 of 31 (5258 views)
Shortcut

hi...my rottweiler puppy got the same problem...he has lot of pimple like rashes...they have later developed into secondary virus infection because he scratches the rashes....it think it must be itchy...

according to my vet...it is not food allergy nor skin disease...it must have chewed some of the plants i have in the garden...but dunno which one...

now i keep him at the back yard where i remove all possible plant except grass lar... with the medication n jab..he is better now... i hope this will ge off the rashes....

u may use diluted vinegar to wipe n rub its rashes..it helps...vinegar tends to reduce the itchiness and disinfect.. hopefully it will not scratch as much

good luck...

eugene
Novice

Sep 8, 2005, 7:41 AM

Post #12 of 31 (4766 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bull Lover] Serious Skin Problem. anyone can help??! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,
my 4mths shihtzu also got skin problem... redness in neck areas..when healing, a dead skin will like danduff and new layer of skin in pink color will be there, fur not rebond yet... this problem already 2 times..about 2 week once and take a week to heal.

today i go pet shop to buy Eukanuba Lamb and rice formular. previously, he take Eukanuba Chicken...
lets see what's the result...

may i know which brand of Lamb n Rice food u r given to u lovely dog??

How good for Eukanuba L n Rice ??
(Do u have any ideal... Coz i am new....My shihtzu is my 1st puppy...so i m lack of experience :)

Bull Lover
Doggyman

Sep 9, 2005, 9:47 PM

Post #13 of 31 (4754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eugene] Serious Skin Problem. anyone can help??! [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry i don't hv shih tsu, don' tknow much about ST also so sorry, but last time i give my boy the Euka Lamb and rice, now i hear the new Lamb and rice is very good.

but taro now is in royal canin.

hope someone can help u out.

** Taro & Foo **

Check it out! ITS FUN!!

TARO Nippon Adv

MORE ABOUT GERBIL

yuen
Novice

Sep 27, 2005, 1:59 AM

Post #14 of 31 (4694 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eugene] Serious Skin Problem. anyone can help??! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
hi,
my 4mths shihtzu also got skin problem... redness in neck areas..when healing, a dead skin will like danduff and new layer of skin in pink color will be there, fur not rebond yet... this problem already 2 times..about 2 week once and take a week to heal.

today i go pet shop to buy Eukanuba Lamb and rice formular. previously, he take Eukanuba Chicken...
lets see what's the result...

may i know which brand of Lamb n Rice food u r given to u lovely dog??

How good for Eukanuba L n Rice ??
(Do u have any ideal... Coz i am new....My shihtzu is my 1st puppy...so i m lack of experience :)

If u got serious skin problem, pls dun go to normal food(especially food with by-product, poutry, animal fat, corn, soya, wheat etc... Try AvoDerm, the only product in market special formula for skin n coat. Now only available at PETS STORY(07-3311677). The shop is beside Dr Koh(JB most experience Dr Animal)at Jalan Kemunting. And only can suggest when really see wht happen to ur dog. Danduff problem can be shortage of certain mineral...Omega3 & 6 not 100% can cure skin problem. Poor quality or wrong portion of Omega 3 & 6 can cause kidney and some desease...so pls dun eat it easyly...

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 27, 2005, 5:06 AM

Post #15 of 31 (4691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yuen] Serious Skin Problem. anyone can help??! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yuen,

You must be Avoderm supplier. HeheheSly

Never heard of Avoderm dog food before. How good is Avoderm??? Got any website to visit and research abit about this dog food brand??? What ingredient that Avoderm use in their Omega 3 & 6 and also what is the ratio of Omega 3 & 6???

Sorry for so many question ar.Blush

yuen
Novice

Sep 27, 2005, 8:14 PM

Post #16 of 31 (4676 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chrisong] Serious Skin Problem. anyone can help??! [In reply to] Can't Post

hahaha, no lah, I'm not AvoDerm supporter lah, but my mother's RockWeiler got serious skin problem, shed alot and shed untill body got alot "hole" and also got spot n scracth untill injured... but after my mum change to AvoDerm Specialty, the fur and skin really improve! And the improve not only can see the hair shining, i used my hand to "brush" its fur, no fur stick to my hand...it stop shed! The improved really impressive, and it just eat the food around 3-4weeks... BUT base on the nutrition ingredient, AvoDerm is not "holistic" (no much veg n herb)food...but is nutrition balance(approved by AFFCO). This is the only product really focus on skin n coat. 1 of my Golden now trying the AvoDerm Chicken, overall quite happy... The other golden eating Pinnacle, the result is better the Evolve as well~!! Hehe the last naughty bernese enjoying Nature Variety LAmb... all having good result~ BUT this 3 brands is only can find in 1 shop in JB...Smile So if ur dog got skin problem, I suggest try AvoDerm...bcos I tried! E****** lamb n rice all this is useless, it just " Allergy Free", NOT special design to improve skin n coat... more infor can check
www.breeders-choice.com

yuen
Novice

Sep 27, 2005, 10:00 PM

Post #17 of 31 (4671 views)
Shortcut

sorry, I remember wrongly...poor protein resource will cause kidney problem, not omega 3 & 6. But wrong omega 3 & 6 ratio will cause other desease as well...more infor u can visit:

www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1662&articleid=666

very good article Wink

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 28, 2005, 6:04 AM

Post #18 of 31 (4657 views)
Shortcut

Just for ur info. Which one u think is good???

AvoDerm Adult Chicken Meal & Rice
Ingredient Name
1. Chicken Meal
2. Ground Brown Rice
3. Ground White Rice
4. Rice Bran
5. Chicken Fat 6. Flaxseed
7. Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal
8. Avocado Oil
9. Herring Meal
10. Lecithin
11. Brewer's Dried Yeast
12. Natural Flavors
13. Choline
14. Rosemary Extract
15. Vitamins/Minerals
Crude Protein not less than 23.00%
Crude Fat not less than 13.00%
Crude Fiber not more than 4.00%
Moisture not more than 10.00%
Linoleic Acid
(Omega 6) 2.19 %
Linolenic Acid
(Omega 3) 0.30 %
AvoDerm Adult Chicken Meal & Rice formula is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages.

Innova EVO Dog
Ingredient Name
1. Turkey
2. Chicken
3. Turkey Meal
4. Chicken Meal
5. Potatoes
6. Herring Meal
7. Chicken Fat
8. Natural Flavors
9. Egg
10. Garlic
11. Apples
12. Carrots
13. Tomatoes
14. Cottage Cheese
15. Alfalfa Sprouts
16. Dried Chicory Root
17. Taurine
18. Lecithin
19. Rosemary Extract
20. Vitamins/Minerals
21. Viable Naturally Occurring Microorganisms
Moisture 10.0 %
Protein 42.0 %
Fat 22.0 %
Fiber 2.5 %
Linoleic Acid
(Omega 6) 4.17 %
Linoleic Acid
(Omega 3) 0.44 %
Animal feeding tests using AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) procedures substantiate that Innova EVO Adult Dog Food provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.

(This post was edited by chrisong on Sep 28, 2005, 6:19 AM)

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 28, 2005, 6:13 AM

Post #19 of 31 (4655 views)
Shortcut

Recent studies have shown that protein intake does not contribute to the progression of chronic renal failure in dog and cats.

High-quality animal protein. Some people believe that dogs should be fed less protein to prevent or minimize kidney disease. However, the evidence is just not there. "If your dog is generally in a state of good health," explains Dr. Hayek, "protein should not be restricted. Rather, it should be available for building those all-important muscle reserves." Some studies have shown that a diet of high-quality protein actually may help improve kidney function, and no research has indicated that low-protein diets slow the progression of renal damage in dogs.

Corn is an excellent carbohydrate source. Ground corn or corn meal is the entire corn kernel finely ground and chopped. Corn grits are similar, but are mostly carbohydrates. When processed, corn is highly digestible and provides dogs and cats with high-quality carbohydrates for energy

Corn is used as an ingredient in many pet foods. It is included in various forms, such as ground corn, corn meal, corn grits, corn gluten meal and corn bran.

Ground corn or corn meal is whole corn that is finely ground and chopped.

Corn grits is a carbohydrate source. It is the portion of ground corn containing little or none of the bran (fiber) or germ (the small protein portion at the end of the kernel).

Corn gluten meal is a dried protein source. It has a large portion of the carbohydrate removed.

Corn bran is the outer coating of the corn kernel and is largely fiber.

The claim that the corn used in dog food products is the same as "corn on the cob" and is "indigestible" is nothing but a myth!

It is more appropriate to associate the corn used in dog food products with "corn bread" rather than "corn on the cob." The difference is cooked corn versus raw corn. Only high-quality corn is used in dog food products. The corn is finely ground to a meal, which breaks up the outside covering of each kernel, and then it is cooked, which increases its digestibility.

Corn grits and corn meal are used in dog food foods as high-quality sources of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are an important source of energy.

Some other pet food companies tell pet owners that corn is indigestible and can cause food allergies: These claims are false.

Dogs can develop allergies to any ingredient in their food. The problem develops not because the food or ingredient is "bad" or "poor quality", but rather because the dog has a hypersensitive immune system. Of the many dogs that regularly eat a food containing corn, only a very limited number will develop an allergy to corn.

Conclusion

When properly processed, corn is highly digestible and provides high-quality carbohydrates for essential energy.

Hope this help

(This post was edited by chrisong on Sep 28, 2005, 6:25 AM)

yuen
Novice

Sep 28, 2005, 7:20 PM

Post #20 of 31 (4644 views)
Shortcut

for Skin and Coat, AvoDerm is better. Skin n Coat conditioner start from 5.Chicken Fat (higher contain inside the ingredient). That tell AvoDerm is more focus at Skin n Coat. But for Nutrition Balance, Innova EVO is better, BUT not every dog can tahan Innova EVO's high protein. I saw few small breed try EVO, and discover, most of them kena red spot, skin cannot tahan... I dun thk is the problem of protein resource, some dog just cannot accept high protein. I will recommand EVO to large breed dog, high quality protein can help to build their muscle better. EVO is a optional of BARF as well... But the price not cheap. And deal with the high protein contain, I realize, EVO easy kena worm...so pls keep it safely. Wink

yuen
Novice

Sep 28, 2005, 7:28 PM

Post #21 of 31 (4641 views)
Shortcut

thats why... most shop just tell consumer the Protein n Fat... But no one can tell u the quality protein resource is important ... Especially those so call "High Enegry", contain higher protein, but quality of protein...they dunno... SO actually is a hurt for dog in long term... Thts why brand, factory reputation is very important for us to judge, whether the food is good or not... Poor protein cause alot of problem...not just skin...some article can find fr net.

Corn have been argue for long long time. BUT Back to Basic still think Corn is good for dog...I thk B2B got their research to support...so tht really depend on the pet owner trust it or not... But i thk for most of the brands, if they want to position their food as "Allergy FREE", they will try to avoid corn...just not point to fight with consumer mind...am i right? Tongue Hi chrisong, where is ur location? Shocked

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 28, 2005, 7:30 PM

Post #22 of 31 (4641 views)
Shortcut

Chicken fat for skin and coat conditioner???

Why you say Avoderm focus on skin and coat???

So far so good all my dog is ok with Evo. None of them have any problem. I think dog that feed high protein kena red spot is because they feed their dog too much that why kena lor.

yuen
Novice

Sep 28, 2005, 11:33 PM

Post #23 of 31 (4629 views)
Shortcut

Chicken fat is the highest of all animal sources in linoleic acid (over 23%), an important element for skin and coat health. Because Natura uses such high quality chicken, this is a high quality source of fat.--Copy Fr www.naturapet.com . More AvoDerm infor u can check breeder's Choice website. Evo is good dog food~ I try that b4 Frown

chrisong
Doggyman

Sep 29, 2005, 12:42 AM

Post #24 of 31 (4624 views)
Shortcut

If you say Chicken fat is linoleic acid than Innova are mush more higher then Avoderm ler. Is that mean Innova are much more better than Avoderm for skin and coat???

Avoderm - Linoleic Acid(Omega 6) 2.19 %

Innova EVO Dog - Linoleic Acid (Omega 6) 4.17 %

phekling19

Oct 23, 2005, 9:07 AM

Post #25 of 31 (4549 views)
Shortcut

chris! Need your lil help! My sis's dog is having severe skin problem...small red spot all over her body, non-stop scratching and we sent her to vet. Vet suspected she's attack by cat's flea and gave her a jab and antibiotics. In fact the vet not really sure what causes her like that. After the jab (prevent itchy), and took the antibiotics. It seemed a bit better and she didnt scratch that often...but now the antibiotics had finished and she started scratching and red spot come back again. My mum let her BARFing for a month d...it doesnt really help. I wonder what is wrong and since the vet also doesnt really know. Is that a disease?
A Hopeless Dog Lover and love dogs as if no tomorrow ... Frown
NO CRUELTY TO ANIMALS Frown
www.dogster.com/?188399.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my