hello!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 11, 2003, 9:13 AM

Post #26 of 40 (1483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

When you say the fish won't cost us 1-2% of what our doggies cost us, do you mean price of fish or upkeep? Seems like flowerhorn are quite expensive... saw one small one (but very cute) for RM580. I guess in fishfood it will be less than the dogs, but what about the chemicals and the water chages - do you have someone service your tank or you do all water changes yourself? hehe as youve prob worked out by now, i am a complete amateur fishkeeper!

but if young fish may look good young, but lose their forehead and pearls when they grow up, how can you be sure you are buying a quality one? (coz very expensive to buy full grown big forhead red one).

boon
Doggyman

Jan 11, 2003, 10:04 PM

Post #27 of 40 (1473 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jennifer,

Yeap the cost is the upkeep/maintenance. Now a days, flowerhorns are very cheap in Penang. For those that from the beatiful parents and potentially will be a beatiful fish will cost you not more than RM 250.

The medicine/anti-clorene is at the very minimal cost. The only thing that trouble me the most is changing water weekly and i do it myself. I'm not aware that is there a service to hire some worker to come to your house to change the water for you. If yes, I don feel comfortable ans safe, due to the carelessness and in-experience of the worker may be. I'm sure that after all the hardwork for maintenance the fish, you simply don't want it to be out of water due to careless or lazyness right ?Wink

A reasonable powerful water filtering system will help a lot. A normal tank size for an adult flowerhorns will be at least 3 by 1.5 feets.

So do you plan to get one soon ?

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 13, 2003, 8:47 AM

Post #28 of 40 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for all your advice and help, Boon. Think I might wait awhile before I get one... I might not have the time at the moment to care for it myself (changing water etc) and I could do without spending extra cash at the mo Crazy didnt expect bills to be so high moving into our own house. Think we'll settle down first then think about it at a later date. Appreciate your help though!

boon
Doggyman

Jan 13, 2003, 10:25 AM

Post #29 of 40 (1466 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome, ahahaha, owning a bungalow lot in Bangsar is not easy ah...

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

Jan 13, 2003, 5:35 PM

Post #30 of 40 (1464 views)
Shortcut

heyhey,

Perhaps you could try 'oscar tiger'..they are strong fish and the only requirement you need to keep them healthy and alive is to adjust the temperature...like around 75-80...I have a pair of em and they are very very aggresive and whenever I lift the top open,they gonna swim to me!!!CoolUsually,they love to dig....i would really love to decorate my aquarium...a friend suggested a big rock (make sure that you boil it before putting inside the tank) so that they have more place to hide...hehe

They only require one time of feeding per day...and the question "how big can they get?" this was the question I asked the seller...like 12 to 14 inches!!!..so a big tank gonna do em good...

wish you best of luck.....Wink
Meme

odie moves MY world!

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 14, 2003, 6:27 AM

Post #31 of 40 (1457 views)
Shortcut

hahaha... no you're right... its not! trying to cut expenses elsewhere so we have more to indulge our pets and our hobbies. and never knew dog food costs so much either... canned food can get quite ex too... but our dogs can't just eat kibble coz then they dont eat enough to grow fast.

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 14, 2003, 6:29 AM

Post #32 of 40 (1456 views)
Shortcut
Re: [strawhoney] hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi strawhoney

we kept oscars int he past, but they were too aggressive and we gave them back to the fish shop coz they were attacking each other and also the other fish. It was like watching constant sparring in the tank.

Think I'll wait and maybe at some later date get a luohan if time is right.

boon
Doggyman

Jan 14, 2003, 8:54 AM

Post #33 of 40 (1452 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jennifer,

Ah..OK, Good idea, cut some other expenses to indulge your pets. hahah but don spoil them OK. Wink. By the way, what brand of kibble/canned food u use to feed Luckey and Brinkley ?

By the way, is not a good idea to 'force' Brinkley to growth too fast, eventually the fast growing in the puppy age will caused HD and joint problem. Supplements is a big NO NO for large breed puppies. For a small breed is OK, but for lab and golden, only give after they reach the year of 2. I got this message from one of the lab forum in the states. They didn't give any supplements, even for coat until the pup is fully growth.

In lay man term, if the bones for a large breed puppy force to grow too fast, the 'compactness/density' of the bones will be reduced.

Hope this help.

(This post was edited by boon on Jan 14, 2003, 8:56 AM)

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 14, 2003, 10:39 AM

Post #34 of 40 (1450 views)
Shortcut

I kept 2 oscar tiger before, it was my FIRST time to own an aquarium with FISHES inside itTongue
But they only last for 2-3 weeks. Arh.... inexperience at all but they look nice. Now i have 2 gold fishes, big-S and small-SWink inexpensive and hassle-free to keep. I'm not very into fish but heard that once you keep, you have to replace those died in the aquarium. true?

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

Jan 14, 2003, 5:36 PM

Post #35 of 40 (1447 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

ello,

I dunno about replacing the fishy....maybe just a superstition kinda thing....hehe...but i heard that we must keep in odd numbers lor....dunno why ler..maybe 4 is no good?Tongue

According to the seller,he told me that this kind of fish can really live long..of course with proper care and good temperature control....They are great fish!!!!just have to bkful so that they won't get stuck at the 'luen goon' (the heat place)..if not,fried fish lar...hehehe....they are swimming happily now and I bought some worms for them today....they love meat...I think they are somehow related to piranha or maybe piranha ancestors...Tongue

My dad keeps some fishy at home...I dunno why type...gagaga...Angelic

I love to see some living creatures in the hse...hehe..
Meme

odie moves MY world!

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

Jan 14, 2003, 5:45 PM

Post #36 of 40 (1444 views)
Shortcut

yeah,they certainly rival each other...Unimpressed but it's weird that they both always stay together in the same spot..hehe..I think that's their 'see tarp'..hahaaha...Tongue I always see one of them doing his biz there..hehe

I think Luohan is very popular in Malaysia now right?are they called 'Ro Han' too?it's about 150 bucks ere...issit the one with flower spots on their body?I seen one today..it's a beautiful fish!It's like tatoo..

ciao
Meme

odie moves MY world!

boon
Doggyman

Jan 14, 2003, 6:11 PM

Post #37 of 40 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Hi StrawHoney,

Is also known as Flower Horn. U can search from the internet.

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 16, 2003, 9:05 AM

Post #38 of 40 (1432 views)
Shortcut

hi boon

thanks for the advice... yeah my vet told us the same thing as well. I had started giving them "Teeth & Bones" manufatured by Seven Seas, coz petshop recommended it and it said on the label it was good for puppies and old dogs. Also coz i have started jumping them, so wanted them to have strong bones. But the vet said it was better not to give them anything for bones (although vit b etc is fine) coz if bones grow faster than tissue and muscle, it will cause problems.

For food, we give First Choice kibble, and Pedigree puppy canned food. As well as the puppy milk.

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 16, 2003, 9:18 AM

Post #39 of 40 (1431 views)
Shortcut

i think they were even more popular before... i just suddenly became interested coz i saw this particularly one at an exhibition which i fell in love with. I could even spot a 4 D number, but i missed first prize by 1 numebr only, can you imagine! !!! obvisouly the fish didnt want to B bought by me!

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

Jan 16, 2003, 9:24 AM

Post #40 of 40 (1429 views)
Shortcut

hahahaha....maybe you din inspect more clearly..'sayang' la to miss first prize...if not,sure 'gor fei lin'...hehehe..maybe the fish will appear in your dream again and give you another 4 numbers?

Old ppl once told me that if you dream bout fish,it's a good omen....and snakes too..dreaming about white snake is a bad indication tho...it means you have 'siu yun'!you guys,bkful...if white snake,go and 'dar siu yun'!!!!!!hehe...lol...
Meme

odie moves MY world!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my