Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Big heavy paws, big dirty paws

plutus
Novice

Jul 28, 2004, 1:28 AM

Post #1 of 2 (894 views)
Shortcut
Big heavy paws, big dirty paws Can't Post

Hi all, my lab is now 11 mths old. i take him out for a run/swim almost everyday so he's kinda strong. Anyway, the problem is whenever he sees any member of the family, he gets excited and gets his paws up on the body.

If you have a spunky lab, you'd know what i mean. I hate it when I'm on the way out and he waylays me with his big dirty paws and ... there goes my clean shirt

Any advice on how to get him to stay put on all fours, but still be happy?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 28, 2004, 10:42 AM

Post #2 of 2 (887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [plutus] Big heavy paws, big dirty paws [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Keeping a Lab on all fours is a chore and a half ... Tongue ... But it's certainly possible and most desirable (as you are discovering) ...

At 11 months - it's time to start basic training with your Lab ...

Unless you are into obedience trials and such ... just grab a good training manual from a bookshop and you are set ...

The only suggestion here is to get the newest edition available (training methods have changed much in the last 5 years). Check Amazon.com for suggestions on which are good dog training manuals ...

Teach your dog how to "sit" ... And with this basic command ... you will also have your first tool with which you can start to control and minimise your dog climbing all over you ...

As you progress to recall, stay & heeling, your ability to communicate with and control your dog will also improve ...

All the best ...

Cheers

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my