Home: Behavioral Problems: Peeing and Poo Problem:
Shih Tzu potty-training trauma

Esther6281
ALPHA

Jul 16, 2004, 9:25 AM

Post #1 of 5 (2235 views)
Shortcut
Shih Tzu potty-training trauma Can't Post

I've got a 3mths old shih tzu (name:BB) who's always been let to run around the house freely and has always been very well-behaved until recently when I started staying over at his "Daddy"'s house and have to leave him at home if I have any work call. I do modeling for a living and I have a lot of freedom to take him everywhere I go, even to work, till recently (because his "Daddy" thinks that I'm pampering him too much) and he's been developing really bad habits like:

#1 - doing his potty business everywhere except on the special piece of paper

#2 - barking at me furiously when I do not take him upstairs with me

#3 - jumping, clawing and biting me

BB knows that I love him a lot and I think that both of us may have developed "separation-anxiety" because I always feel awful to leave him at home even when there's someone around and he always looks sadly at me through the glass door if I leave without him. Unsure

However BB would always always greet me with joy, lick my face and kiss my lips passionately whenever I come home but he would then start all the 3 problems that I have mentioned above in about 30mins... This is really tramatizing me cos I can't sleep well at nights thinking about my poor BB and all the terrible habits he has developed lately...

Should this continue, is it advisable that I send him to a puppy obedience class after his last vaccination? He still has one more vacin to go this coming July 24th before I can let him associate with other dogs... I heard that obedience classes are a torture to puppies because trainers use chokers to choke the dogs into fearing something in order for them to obey the trainer's commands... Is this true? Crazy

From, Esther, BB's "Mommy"

Love, BB's Mommy

Frown BB Appreciation <<-->> BB ~ My Baby, My Love, My Everything, My Reason For Living Frown

Frown BB Shares Goss-Fest <<-->> BB & Snowy, Sitting under a Tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G ~ Gossip is F-R-E-E Frown

Frown BB Photo Album <<-->> Puppy Love ~ BB Photo Compilation Frown

Frown BB Dedication <<-->> Doggone It! BB @ Dogster! ~ BB Blogs 2!! Frown

whiskey
Novice

Jul 19, 2004, 1:13 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Esther6281] Shih Tzu potty-training trauma [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Esther!

My baby Whiskey had the same kind of problem too! She cries barks and scratches the door whenever Im in the room (cos her 'dad' has decreed that as forbidden area!) or when i go off to work. It used to break my heart seeing her "anguished" face everyday before i left for work.

But after the 1st couple of days, i realised that the poor pup didnt really suffer that much either! The minute she realises Im not coming back for her, she stops all the noise and settles down to sleep/ chew her toys/ go manja with her 'daddy' or 'uncle darren'.

Our babies know that we dote on them, and if we let them have their way whenever they yelp, they'll repeat the same thing cos they think they can get away with it. Leave him be when he whines.. yeah i know it hurts but i spoilt my rottweiler once and I don¡¯t plan to spoil this baby. Once they know that whining isnt gonna do them any good they'll stop it.

As for jumping/clawing/biting, I think BB's just trying to get your attention/ or inviting you to play/cuddle. Don't let him get into that habit~~ believe me, it isnt fun having your ankles bitten when he's adult. Don't pick him up the instant he claws/ jumps at you, and smack him (not too hard) when he bites you. A couple of times and he'll learn his lesson.Wink

Cool I'm pretty new myself, but i've kinda learnt from the mistakes i made with my rotty. indulgence isn't love.. it's ruining your baby's life!

cheerrios~ rosie

Esther6281
ALPHA

Jul 20, 2004, 11:53 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2162 views)
Shortcut
Did Just That [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Whiskey's Mommy!! Wink I did just that today. Boy, was I mad when BB went into the wet bathroom where I have forbidden him to go this afternoon when I taking a shower!!! I found out that BB's just like me, if he can't get what he wants, he'll "merajuk" but his "merajuk" sessions lasts only 5mins tops! Hahaha!!!

So, how old's Baby Whiskey? My BB's is 3-months (plus a few days) old now and his hair's starting to grow beautifully! Smile I wonder when I can start tying his hair for him cos it seems to me that they are blocking his eyes... Tongue

Love, BB's Mommy

Frown BB Appreciation <<-->> BB ~ My Baby, My Love, My Everything, My Reason For Living Frown

Frown BB Shares Goss-Fest <<-->> BB & Snowy, Sitting under a Tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G ~ Gossip is F-R-E-E Frown

Frown BB Photo Album <<-->> Puppy Love ~ BB Photo Compilation Frown

Frown BB Dedication <<-->> Doggone It! BB @ Dogster! ~ BB Blogs 2!! Frown

whiskey
Novice

Jul 22, 2004, 12:22 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2113 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Esther6281] Did Just That [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Esther!

Sorry for the oh-so-late reply!! Went for a short vacation in genting with my colleagues. couldn't take baby along with me cos she wasn't fuly potty trained yet Frown

Just reached home today and boy, baby was so glad to see me! And I didnt realise that she's grown so much! It's only been 3 days and she's so much bigger now! And certainly more naughty... guess her 'dad' and 'uncle darren' have been spoiling her! They buy her all sorts of treats like KFC and dim sum and stuff!!

How's you BB getting on with her potty training? Whiskey's leart to pee on newspapers.. 'daddy' said only 2 'accidents' in 3 days, where she messed her own sleeping rug Shocked We played fetch with her just now, but this is making her daddy jealous cos she always fetches her ball and brings it back to me!!!

Oh yeah i forgot to introduce whiskey. she's a mongrel i rescued from my friend (his bitch got 'raped' and gave birth to 6 pups and he couldnt handle them), and I dont know what breed she really is. She was born in late may, so that makes her about 3 months old.. and we're gonna celebrate her birthday on 9th july which when she 1st came home to us!

Tell me about your BB!!

hugs & kisses (for BB as well!)

kegy
Novice

Nov 2, 2004, 8:53 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1678 views)
Shortcut
Re: [whiskey] Did Just That [In reply to] Can't Post

Just remember not too give watever the dog want. U will only make things worse. Its the behavior. Once u start the wrong one then it gonna me a hard time for you to fix it back.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my