Beagle Behaviour & Attitude!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jul 9, 2004, 6:21 AM

Post #26 of 68 (2595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ohmybeagle] Beagle Behaviour & Attitude!! [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the advice ohmybeagle. and btw where ru from.. because i like your beagle (white).. hope to see it one day....

ohmybeagle
Dog Kichi

Jul 9, 2004, 6:33 AM

Post #27 of 68 (2595 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MisterStan] Beagle Behaviour & Attitude!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Your pup eats poo because of two reasons. One, he is too bored cos left alone too long without attention from master. Second, hungry as you say or he might be having some disgestive problems. But dont worry, just give him proper food preferably dry kibbles only for the 1st few months. Try not to feed him with meat meals as their digestive system is not so strong yet and the smell of the meat will be in the poo and they will want to eat the poo when they smell meat. If this persists, try to spread some chilli powder or pepper or even wasabi powder on their poo everytime they finished their business so that the strong smell will prevent them from eating poo. Try to draw their attention away from drinking pee or eating poo by offering some treats or call them away so that they wont even stay there too long and yes u should clean the mess right away or asap when they have done their business...best if u are there to bring them do their business and lead them away when they are done.

By the way.....mind to show a picture of ur new male beagle ?? mind to tell me where did u buy it ?? how much it costed u ?? i stay around KL area also and i look out for beagles everywhere possible. so i know where u can find the best beagle around if u intend to get another. Well if u really can cope with Henry later u can try to get another female...they live better with company...and u can try breeding them...it's fun and challenging...that's what i am trying to do also...hehe

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jul 9, 2004, 6:41 AM

Post #28 of 68 (2592 views)
Shortcut

ohmybeagle,

i will try putting spicy powder on the poo to make him not to eat it.. i am looking for a digi cam to take a pic of him and put it in here.. I hope to get a clear pic of him because he wont sit still or stand still. I bought him from a pet shop in PJ for rm1550.. Do u know have icq? Easier to communicate that way.. or any other chat programs...

I give him biscuits because he is small and the shop keeper recommend to give him biscuits...

ohmybeagle
Dog Kichi

Jul 11, 2004, 9:56 PM

Post #29 of 68 (2586 views)
Shortcut

hi Stanley,

my lemon white beagle is 4 months old now....very strong and stubborn....they are like that...way too independent.....mine likes to bite ppl now as many of the beagle owners need to go thru this stage so will you one day....try to get more rawhide bones for ur pup so that he understands that the thing u can bite and not others......make sure u give him bones frequent enuff to clean his teeth in the 1st 5 months especially during his teeth changing period. if he bites other things u must scold him sternly and give him the bone to chew. u must not forget to give a little scare to ur pup when he bites u.....shout at him and say No or even hit his nose softly and Say No. I do have ICQ but i seldom use it anymore these days...but u can try adding me....my Uin is 33071722 and i am from cheras. I have been a fond lover of beagles and whenever i stop by a petshop i would checkout if there is any beagle around....i couldnt get a tricolor beagle cos my parents didnt like the way they look so i had to get this one but in the end i find his colour quite special and rare. But with this colour he is not likely to win in any championship shows if i were to show him later....haha....planning to get a tricolor one and put it somewhere else other than my home.

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jul 12, 2004, 1:24 AM

Post #30 of 68 (2583 views)
Shortcut

hi ohmybeagle

nowadays henry would bite hands and legs. I scold him if he bite me.. and he is more systematic in pee/poo. but when he is out of the cage, he seem to failed to pee at the same place... i do give him flavour bones for him to bite.

(This post was edited by MisterStan on Jul 12, 2004, 1:30 AM)

tan_ling
Dog Kichi

Jul 12, 2004, 7:38 AM

Post #31 of 68 (2578 views)
Shortcut

hi ohmybeagle ,,,i just wan to ask whether all beagles only got 1 testical??

Mercedes
New User

Jul 17, 2004, 9:13 PM

Post #32 of 68 (2543 views)
Shortcut

Hi ohmybeagle, I'm a new beagle owner, she is 4months now and i could really use your advice. I've read your posts and you are very knowledgable. Although i know she is only 4 months she is coming along in training but still needs work in these areas. 1- When she is outside she constantly eats the grass, small rocks, and small pine cones. How do i make her stop? I do use a rolled up newspaper and i hit the ground with it and it seems to work but then she will also try to go after the paper by trying to bite it. I've tried to take her for a walk down the street but didn't even make it out my front yard before she started to eat everything. Is there anything else i could do. I don't always have the paper with me. And if i chain her outside to the post i bring her toys, it works for awhile but then its to the ground. 2- She does nip and bite my hand, arm, clothes and hair! If she is excited to see me when i get home she does it. also when she plays, if i tell her no and i also try to use the rolled up paper by hitting my own hand near her when she does it its like she gets reaved up and starts to go after me even if i push her back, hit the floor with the paper, she flips out, running like a maniac and its hard to stop her, why does she do this? Take fits? And why does she go after me like that at 4months is that normal? I know they like to play but she is litterly giving me a look with a pause and then bites again like a maniac, help. With constant disapline will this stop or am i making it worse? I tell her kisses and praise her for that when she does. 3- She can not be alone!!! If i walk out of the room she barkes, whines, howels. when i walk away to go to the other side of the room she will stop playing and bark, its like i have to be right there beside her. How do i get her out of that? Even when i'm outside and she is chained to her post and i am only 5-10 feet away she starts, or even lees that that sitting on the steps. She constantly has to be with me!!! Even if i am in her sight, she whines and cries and it sounds like someone is killing her!! What do i do? Even when she eats i have to sit or stand there. Today although she did do better with eating, i got to walk away and told her 3 times to go eat and she did while walking back and forth all 3 times, but she did as i told her but after the 3rd time i had to get up and be near her. I really hope you can help. Thankyou for taking the time to read this post. Krystal

Mercedes=why that name? Because she cost so much, lol. But she is worth every penny. LaughSlyLaughSlyLaughSlyLaughSlyBlushSmile
Attachments: mercedes.GIF (66.0 KB)

MisterStan
Doggyman

Jul 20, 2004, 8:33 AM

Post #33 of 68 (2491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mercedes] Beagle Behaviour & Attitude!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi. I also a newbie at beagle, my beagle is 2 months old = 8 weeks old. he have no problem in eating, good appetite also.. he once in a while he would bark. maybe he is lonely. he needs to play. and he is also running like maniac once in a while. he only barks when he need to poo/pee... he would also bark when the time to feed him have past..... so where do you stay??? looking forward to go for beagle gatherings. my beagle just got its 2nd jab from the vet. hope to hear from you soon...btw how much you bought your beagle ( male or female ) and where youbought it from....

Stanley

ohmybeagle
Dog Kichi

Jul 20, 2004, 8:50 AM

Post #34 of 68 (2489 views)
Shortcut

Hi Krystal,

well well...i hope i can help but i am not exactly an expert here so i will just try my best okay....hehe.....i reckon that u have a spoilt brad there. Beagles are very active dogs and u cant expect them to act like shithzu or pekingese and if u expected so obviously u have not done ur research well before u got hold of ur beagle. haha. Let me tell u..all beagles have a little devil in them behind their angelic faces and they are super mischievious and like to make a nuisance of themselves. However,they can be just alright if early training was implemented and consistent obedience training follows. Being a beagle owner u just need to adapt to their behaviours and study them and most of all learn to be stern,strict and dominant becos they are very likely to be dominant over you if u show them ur soft side too much. It is very crucial that u establish a prominent domincance over ur pup so that she understands that u are the master and she would get punished if she disobeys.Treat her like a naughty girl and dont let her "bully" you. Okay and now i will answer ur questions accordingly......

1- When she is outside she constantly eats the grass, small rocks, and small pine cones. How do i make her stop? I do use a rolled up newspaper and i hit the ground with it and it seems to work but then she will also try to go after the paper by trying to bite it. I've tried to take her for a walk down the street but didn't even make it out my front yard before she started to eat everything. Is there anything else i could do. I don't always have the paper with me. And if i chain her outside to the post i bring her toys, it works for awhile but then its to the ground.

Beagles are very curious dogs and their curiousity can go on endlessly. They will explore as much as they can and they are very independent in their exploration and sometimes even forget your existence. So u must control this by using the HEEL command. Everytime u walk ur pup try to enforce HEEL that is to make her heel ur footstep from ur left hand-side( with her forelegs parallel to ur left foot as u walk). Try not to give her so much freedom to wander around and use the HEEL command as much as possible to let her get used to it. But obviously u cant restraint her from sniffing around and wandering off. So just let her do that a little during the walk but dont indulge her at one spot for too long. Get a leash with a body harness so that u can pull her back whenever she goes too far away from you and wont hurt her neck. U must use some strength here and shout HEEL at her whenever she wanders off and reward her with a treat if she obeys. If she is stuck with something there for a long time and wont move along just pull her off that place and if she is stubborn still just whack her buttocks so that she fears you and the next time u give her such command she will follow. U must pull her back to walk with u and dont let her go anywhere she likes so that she understands that she needs to HEEL you. If u really feel like letting her wander then pick a spot which is safer for her and free of small objects that she might swallow. If u catch her eating something make sure u open up her mouth and take it out immediately cos certain objects that she eats can be fatal without her knowing it. After taking that object out u can try to hit her nose softly and shout NO seriously at her and whack her back softly. In this way she will understand that she cannot simply eat anything she sees. All this while u have been missing this fact that u have been too kind and too soft so she didnt realise she is doing something wrong there. Try to act fierce and make her understand when u are fierce that means she is doing something wrong.

2- She does nip and bite my hand, arm, clothes and hair! If she is excited to see me when i get home she does it. also when she plays, if i tell her no and i also try to use the rolled up paper by hitting my own hand near her when she does it its like she gets reaved up and starts to go after me even if i push her back, hit the floor with the paper, she flips out, running like a maniac and its hard to stop her, why does she do this? Take fits? And why does she go after me like that at 4months is that normal? I know they like to play but she is litterly giving me a look with a pause and then bites again like a maniac, help. With constant disapline will this stop or am i making it worse? I tell her kisses and praise her for that when she does.

You are experiencing something i am experiencing now. At the age of 4 months beagle is in a stage when they are starting to turn into the naughtiest animal in the house. In this stage they will be the worse nuisance of all kind until they are one year old at least. So having chose a beagle as a pet u might as well just face it and deal with it...haha...at least that's what i am telling myself. But u certainly have to deal with it with a positive mind and dont blame that poor little girl for that she doesnt wan to be naughty but just cant help it. That's her nature and she is born with that. So as an owner we must adjust our endurance level. When she tries to jump on u everytime she sees u what u can do is just to hold her forelegs with a little force so she has to stay back on the ground and u should say SIT and as she does so just praise her and give her a pet on the shoulder. If she is too aggressive and over excited sometimes and wont even calm down u can just push her away softly and say NO NO everytime she jumps on you so that she knows u dont like it and then only u give the SIT command. Beagles are hound dogs and it's their nature to run about in the field chasing heirs way before they were adopted as pets by human. Their ancestors do that and they still keep this trait and behaviour until today. So it's her nature to run about like a maniac especially she was caged or tied up too long. They need alot of exercise to release the abundant energy they have. So u must take her for a walk at least 20 mins a day and preferably for a brisk walk from 6 months onwards,unless u have a huge yard for her to run about all day long without being tied up. Whenever she tries to bite u u must shout NO at her loudly and sternly and if she still keeps doing that just hit her nose softly and say NO or even whack her jaw a little when she bites again. U might think this is abit too harsh but trust me....i have tried many ways but only the fearful way succeeds...they have strong bones and thick skin so dont worry that u will hurt ur pup. Many might say body punishment is negative and all but i can tell u no beagles can be taught to obey properly without some light body punishment. furthermore it's for their good before they turn into a dominant dog and then it's too late to regret. This method works pretty well for me and my pup now fears me and will stop making trouble whenever i act fierce and shouts at him.

3- She can not be alone!!! If i walk out of the room she barkes, whines, howels. when i walk away to go to the other side of the room she will stop playing and bark, its like i have to be right there beside her. How do i get her out of that? Even when i'm outside and she is chained to her post and i am only 5-10 feet away she starts, or even lees that that sitting on the steps. She constantly has to be with me!!! Even if i am in her sight, she whines and cries and it sounds like someone is killing her!! What do i do? Even when she eats i have to sit or stand there. Today although she did do better with eating, i got to walk away and told her 3 times to go eat and she did while walking back and forth all 3 times, but she did as i told her but after the 3rd time i had to get up and be near her. I really hope you can help. Thankyou for taking the time to read this post.

Well this is a tough question as i have never chained up my pup before. Honestly speaking i reckon u should provide her with a safe and comfy cage as a place where she can rest. Chaining up ur pup gives her a huge degree of insecurity and that frightens her badly that's why she is complaining. The cage can also act as a place where u can keep her in when u are going out and need her to watch the house so it better it outside ur house under a shelter. Ur pup keeps making noise when being left alone becos she demands ur attention and no dogs like to be chained or left alone. So what u must do is make her understand that she must be alone sometimes when u are busy. U can do that by making her adapt to being left alone using a little practice like this. If u plan to leave her in a room and do ur things outside, just leave her there barking for a while and go back say 5 mins after u left. This is to make her understand that u will come back even u leave her. Extend this interval to 15 mins gradually if she adapts well. Reward her with a treat if she can stay by herself for that period. If she cant keep quiet and keeps barking non stop u just have to ignore her and find the right time when she is not barking and enter the room and reward her with a treat and praise her. Repeat this several times until she gets it. When u start to leave and she barks again just say No and QUIET repeatedly and if she stops barking then reward but ignore her if otherwise. Dont ever respond to her until she stops barking so that u make her understand she will get nowhere even if she barks. Dogs are very smart and they will get ur meaning after some time. U just need to find the right technique to teach. when she is getting used to this she will be more independent and u must try to leave her outside without ur existence for a longer time and dont be afraid she will cry cos she does that only to get ur attention and nothing else so dont pamper her from now on and dont respond to her whenever she cries or barks for ur attention. She will gradually understand her action will be of no avail once u ignore her for a longer time. And about the eating habit my pup doesnt seem to have that problem as he is a glutton and he will surely finish his food in no time. But for ur case u must make sure that u feed her the same amount at the same time everyday and at the same place. The best is u feed her in the cage and leave her inside until she finishes the food. Be sure that u dont leave the food there the whole day as the food will be contaminated after some time. leave it there for 30 mins and if she still havent finished it just remove it so that she understands that she will have no more food if she doesnt finish her food in time. Cut short that 30 mins gradually and make her finish in 10 mins eventually. If she is a picky eater and refuses to eat u then must spend a little effort figuring which brand of kibbles suits her taste and then dont change it anymore unless necessary. Take away her food after 30 mins and starve her...yes....starve her for one meal.....dogs wont die even they dont eat the whole day unless starved for 3 days. So starve her and remove the food and this will teach her not to be picky. she will definitely eat again when she is hungry and she will have to force herself to adapt to that food. But make sure that ur food is of good quality and not expired. Warning here....but if ur dog is the super super stubborn one and wont eat even she throws up her gald bladder liquid then u just have to give in ...but that's not likely to happen so dont worry..hehe. Try to practise this habit when u feed her....she is very likely to get excited when u have her food in ur hands.....ask her to sit down and WAIT for at least 15 secs b4 u hand over her food. This will train up her patience and u will find that WAIT so helpful next time u wish to ask her to wait....practise this constantly every meal if u can. If u dont plan to get her a cage,you can be at her side when u feed her and dont do anything but look at her and ask her to EAT and praise her when she does so. Just dont move or play with her but keep insisting her to eat and push her near her food and praise if she starts to eat. Try a few times to be there when she eats and later on move aside and go away after some time. But the best thing to do is of course getting her a cage so that u can contain her inside until she finish up her food. dont release her until she finishes so that she understands she could only be freed after she finishes her food.

I dont know if my way helps but u can try at least. Every dogs have their own disposition and u just have to slowly figure it out and the major rule is nv pamper a beagle and you must teach her to be disciplined so that u will have an obedient dog when she grows up. Always make her realise that u are the master and dont treat them good unless they behave like a good dog. I know this may sound like military training to you but u have no choice becos u got a BEAGLE...and not a shithzu or pekingese...haha....unless u can bear with their bad behaviours next time when they are older. Anyway dont be sad that u got a beagle becos they are indeed very adorable and lovely if trained properly with good discipline. That's just going to take up some patience and good effort. U will see that they begin to behave better and settle down alot when they are one year and older. So just bear with it for the moment ok...hehe

OK that's really enuff of long winded answers here and if u have questions later u are welcomed to ask....i will try to help if i can...email me here ...simply_jude@hotmail.com ......oh by the way......where did u get ur beagle huh ? just curious.......how much did she cost you ? just wanna check if u got ripped off or not.....is she a champion line? anything more than RM1600 if she is not a champ line is considered expensive but it's good to hear that u dont mind that and still love ur pup so much. Anyway....if u are interested in getting another beagle pup later or any of ur friends wants one pls let me know as i know a very reputable breeder who breeds top class champion beagles which u can find nowhere especially in pet shops and next time try not to buy from pet shops becos their pups are usually not of good quality although u pay a nose-high price. That breeder has several new pups now waiting for new owners and they are super lovely and reasonably cheap. U dont have to go thru any agents or pet shops and i am not getting any commission out of this. Just here to help only.... :)

Regards,

Terry

Mercedes
New User

Jul 21, 2004, 12:53 PM

Post #35 of 68 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Thankyou Terry,
Your right I didn't read up on training or beagles before I got her, decided at the last minute. My Mom has trained many dogs, many German shepherds and collies, so we were going with that, how she trained the others, but after a week we bought a training mag and a beagle book and read up on it. All the books and mags state don't hit your puppy because it will turn them aggressive, some say do. But knowing that you do and it helps than I am OK with it, knowing it works on beagles, all breeds are different and a mag can't speak for all of them.
I only have her chained up to the stake so I can pick up her matter and not have to hold her leash. I also read pick it up in front of her outside, not messes in the house, that's what I've been doing. We don't plan on having her chained all the time, just until she is almost fully trained, we have a fenced in backyard but also have to make a few adjustments with the wide slotted fence so she can't get through and make sure there are no other holes in the other parts of the fence. Also there is a maple tree from the neighbors yard that hangs into my yard and until she has stopped eating everything then I will feel comfortable with her in that area because they are all over the ground. I also once had her on the stake when I was weeding right next to her, she barked and whined for a while but then stopped. I also have her still leashed in the kitchen confined to one room like the books say, only until she is housebroken, that is coming along very good, she will walk toward the door and let you know she has to go, so with that we let her off the leash for maybe a half hour to roam the house or play on her bed with her toys freely to observe her. We also have a crate for the house, as soon as she is freed from her crate we bring her outside to potty. Now we are looking to see if she goes automatically and she does but with the occasional squat on the rug right out of the crate.
Last weekend I took her to a camp ground and she did very well when I walked her around. She didn't pick up stones or anything. She did have the occasional stubbornness in one spot which I do pull her away (but sometimes she does fight me and she does choke herself, why she hasn't learned, I don't give in. She only has a collar I don't have a harness). Maybe there was a lot to see and new smells, in the mag it stated to bring your puppy to parks and places so they can be more sociable and see different things to be confident, so I try to every chance I get.
Freinds of mine said let her eat the grass, it means they have an upset stomach or they are constipated. Should I?
I do take things out of her mouth all the time. She has also learned the let go command which helps with this.
My boyfriend is the one that spoils her I think, not all the time but most. Yet he takes her out of her crate plays with her for 10 minutes then leaves her with me while I'm trying to clean the house or something and I can't watch her. When he leaves she looks for him or goes after him. He goes downstairs to the finished basement, she hasn't learned how to walk down the stairs yet she is petrofied. And barks and barks. She is very attached when any one of us leaves her presence, even if the other is there. I have tried to train her to walk down the stairs, I tried to start with the bottom step and persuade her with a cookie but she shook like a leaf. I'll try again soon, and keep trying. I don't want to pick her up everytime I have to take her out.
I try to push her away when she is biting and jumping on me but she still goes at it. When I grab her legs she goes to bite my hand, but I'll keep trying, hopefully she will get the hint, I'm just not sure if she thinks I'm playing with her. I've also tried to hold her muzzle and tell her no bite but she squirms out of it and gets nastier, so I stopped that, now I try the paper or the no bite which sometimes works but not all the time when she has her mind set. I will try the tap on and underneath the nose. Like I said before, books have said don't hit but knowing this worked for you with a beagle I'll try it.
When it comes to eating she likes to play for a half hour then eat, for the past 2 days she hasn't eaten in the morning because we have no time after a half hour to wait for her to eat so she only eats at night at 7pm, when we know any one of us will definitely be home to feed her at that set time.
I'm actually from the United States, she is a pure breed and I did get her from a pet store which was wonderful, they gave us a video and bag of dog food and explained a lot to us. We paid $600.00 for her. We have her papers, family tree, shots etc. I don't know what $600 US dollars are in your currency, but it would be neat to find out. I have also meet others that have bought from the same pet store and was very happy. She also came with a warranty of life threatening heredity disease if she develops any.
Well, let me go, I have class soon and have a few thing to do before then. Talk to you soon. Krystal

ohmybeagle
Dog Kichi

Jul 23, 2004, 8:36 AM

Post #36 of 68 (2416 views)
Shortcut

Hi there,

It's a real surprise that u are living in the states and dropping a msg here in a malaysian website, yeah but afterall dog lovers have no boundaries anywhere on this globe huh. It's good to have someone overseas here to join in the fun of loving dogs. Welcome. I guess for ur case u dont have to worry anything about buying a pup from a pet shop becos u are living in the states and not here. People there are more professional and ethical in such terms unlike ppl here in malaysia. Furthermore the dog breeding industry there is of such high standards. My words refer to those greedy breeders and unprofessional puppy mill owners. We have papers here reporting such irresponsible breeding businesses which lead to poorly-conditioned dogs and awful puppy mill operation. U dont want to take a look at some horrible scenes showing how pathetic they treat the poor dogs. Unlike you, many of the buyers dont even bother to read anything about breeding or keeping a dog as pet and jump straight into the business just for the sake of fun without much thought of obligation. From the way u described it, i can see u have done enuff effort to keep ur puppy in a comfy environment for her well being.

I am not sure about eating grass will help constipation cos my beagle doesnt do that. But common sense tells me that the grass eating habit should not be encouraged as grass have a lot of bacteria and the earth stuck to it have alot of worms as well. The best thing to do to prevent constipation is give her good food in appropriate amount and give her fresh water all the time and feed her in a fixed time. Try not to change the content of her food and allow a week's time to gradually change her food if u decide to change to another brand of dry food. Dont give her fresh milk and raw eggs as that might cause indisgestion contrary to popular belief that milk provides calcium and raw eggs give a healthy coat. A good and reputable brand of dry kibbles will do all for ur pup and make sure u feed her 3 times a day until she is 6 months old and small amount each time.

Your pup likes to play with you cos that's in her nature. They just love to play like a small kid even they grow older next time. My pup does jump on me whenever he can. And yes u are right that she thinks that u are playing with her too and she has this simple mind that u would love to play with her anytime in the day too. haha. So u just have to spend some time with her to help her kill some boredom. They just cant sit still for a minute. What to do...we have beagles in the house..haha. All i do is just ignore him when he starts getting excited and push him away slightly and say NO and ask him to SIT and that works a bit i guess. Just dont start to play with her if u do not wish to be bothered for long. Like i said if she fears u a little she will not cross the line if u show that u dont like her to act that way. They are very stubborn and persistent especially when it comes to play. So u gotta let her know when u dont wish her to be so active by showing some degree of aloofness to her.

To make her go down the staircase u just need to lead her way down. Try to hold her body and bring her down a few steps at a time and slowly she wont be afraid of going down anymore. I did that just a few times and now my beagle just plunge down the stairs like a stunt dog everytime he goes down.

when she starts to bite u on ur hands u must make it clear to her that u dont like that by increasing ur voice saying NO and even hit her jaws softly saying "naughty girl" or something like that so that everytime she hears u say that phrase she will stop it. Beagles have a strong mind and i believe urs is an adamant one as well. So if all fails u can still try the controversial way to discipline her that is to give some body punishment like hitting her backside with a cane but softly of course. Some would say it's inhuman but i see it as a very effective way of shaping ur dog's obedience. My beagle used to be super naughty and always making himself a big nuisance but he now fears the cane and everytime i show the cane he will behave like a rabbit. U dont have to hit her much but just make her fear it that's good enuff. I dont see what a little bit of punishment will do harm to her. I would rather be a bit "cruel" now to nurture a well-behaved pup rather than having to suffer from a bad behaviour adult dog in the future and once they are an adult they will stick to their behaviour forever and u simply cant change them anymore. Just my opinion. :)

Mercedes
New User

Jul 23, 2004, 7:33 PM

Post #37 of 68 (2405 views)
Shortcut

Code

Code

Hi Terry, I was looking online for advice from beagle owners or dog owners in general and found this site and it really caught my attention, it went straight to my favorite places. Like I said any mag can give you advice but only a beagle owner can give you real trusting advice from experience. That's horrible what they do in your country with puppies and dogs. I don't know much about your countries laws. But also here in the states there are people that live here that will drop off their cat at a park and let them go into the woods because they don't want them anymore, ive seen it many times. Also I have in the past had a puppy stolen right off its chain outside in my yard. People here in the states like to steal puppies and sell them to experimental labs for money to supply their drug habits or such. It takes all kinds. There is no perfect world or place.
The grass thing I am trying to stop her from doing. She not only eats the grass but pulls the roots right out of the dirt and will eat that too. For the record my grass isn't nice pretty grass its almost all crab grass, but hey its green and covers, lol. I don't know if I should let her eat it and hope she gets sick and throws up and that will teach her not to eat it, hopefully, or still try to get her out of that habit. I have a vet appointment on Aug. 3rd so I will definitely bring it up. Sometimes she will just play with the grass and fling it around. Her toys will be there but she will still go for the grass.
Today my Mom and I weeded the front yard garden so we put her on a 15ft tie out stake and she did very well, except for the grass eating. She was running and jumping, got a lot of exercise for 2 hours. My mother had the rolled up paper and if we caught her eating the grass or dirt my Mom went over and scolded her with the paper, she doesn't like the paper, she also tries to bite it. Its funny because if my mother or my boyfriend scolds her she will run to me for protection. I think because I spend the most time with her so I'm the one she is attached to. I scold her to and tell her no. But I know I have to shout louder and deeper, I can't shout in a mean way, its not me, lol, heck I was a cheerleader and still coach, lol, I'm spirited and happy all the time when I shout, lol. So I know I need to work on that.
Also today we got her a kiddy wading pool for the summer. I put very little water in it today and put her in, she didn't know what was going on and jumped out. So I then took my shoes and socks off and went in to show her it was OK, placed 2 toys in there also, put her back in and she walked around for a few minutes, I splashed some water on her. I'll try again tomorrow or Saturday depending on how hot it is. I want her to get used to it and enjoy it while she is young and not be afraid. I want her to be comfortable in the summers to come. I also try to introduce her to the hose but she is still afraid of it but everyday is progress. I've learned she is a very timid and nervous puppy, she is curios but also afraid of certain things.
I only give her dry food, no table scraps. I also give her a puppy vitamin that the pet shop recommended once a day. I'm sticking to Purina. I have changed from Purina One to just Purina Puppy but have been mixing the 2 together so her stomach isn't shocked.
Now is it true that when a puppy is spaded she will calm down? I would love to breed her but I know we don't have the time or the knowledge to so we are going to spade her. We are going to have it done before her first heat at 6 months.
When it came to stairs I did pick up her butt and placed her hind legs on the next step up to give her the feel of her body at an angle, she almost fell, so I'm going to give that alittle more time, her legs maybe to short, lol.
With the biting I try to hit her nose or under her chin but I'm hitting air because she is to fast. Like today I was playing ball with her throwing it and she would go get it bring it back toward me drop it then bite my hand and then back to the ball or grass. The little stinker is to quick!! I'm trying to teach her the give it to me command but like I said she drops it a foot away from me while she is pouncing towards my hand to bite then back to the ball or grass. I'm not sure if she knows she is doing wrong and quickly retreats, She does try to get away with things, she's sneaky as soon as you turn your back. But someday I may bite her back if she doesn't stop, lol, see how she likes it. I don't have any friends with dogs or puppies for her to play with so she can understand the biting thing hurts. When I took her to the vet last month I was hoping there was another owner with a puppy that wouldn't mind them playing (socialize) but there wasn't. There was however a well behaved mellow Golden Retreiver the same age 4 months. Very well behaved. I don't have the money for puppy kindergarten or training classes so I'm doing everything I can like I explained before. I think the reason why people here in the states are the way they are because a lot of people are sue happy, if something happens they might slap a lawsuit on you or are afraid you will on them.
Your opinion on can't change an adult dogs habit is true. Before we got her we adopted a 1yr old shelter dog at the pound, we visited him often to observe and we liked him a lot. He was an Aulstrailun Cattle Dog. Well, needless to say after one day he was comfortable and started to get very aggressive and possessive. He growled and snapped at me, and literary pinned my mother, pounced at her in an attack motion every time she went to move. He only listened to my boyfriend, thats what saved her. After a weekend the dog was back at the pound, there was no way, he was set in his way. That's why I want to do everything I can to make her a great pet.
We have been letting her loose in the house longer and she is doing very well. She did start to pee on the rug tonight but a sharp no from my boyfriend and she stopped and outside she went. I hate to use newspaper to train her because I don't need to have a stack of paper on the floor later and she thinks its OK, lol. The shelter dog did that, lol. So hopefully with a close eye on her and that happens again she will sooner or later get the hint, hopefully sooner. Well, got to go take her out one last time for the night. Talk to you later, night, Krystal

Concorn
ALPHA

Sep 13, 2004, 10:17 PM

Post #38 of 68 (2202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dear All] Beagle Behaviour & Attitude!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello, I am back after so long..heheheCrazy

I agreed to what ohmybeagle mentioned. I do not treat my beagle (Coco) softly when she does something wrong. And she knew tat she has done something that she's not supposed to. Then she'll hide and run away from me each time I catched her doin it.

Coco, do her business just right outside of her cage. It's quite difficult for her to poo/pee outside b'cos m staying in a condo type of house. So she'll need to do her business in the toilet or the side of her cage. When she was still very young, whenver she got the chance to be on my bed, she'll pee on my comforter. I'll be very mad and angry at her and spank her at the buttock hard. Now she dare not pee whenever she's on my bed.

Beagle is a type of dog that is very very stubborn. Do u all agree? It's hard to train them too. After so many months, now only Coco listen to what I command her to do, especially the 'down' command. I am very happy.

concornSmile

*Coco & Concorn*

** If It's Yours it happen to be Mine, But What Is Mine Is always Be Mine - Coco's Motto**

Coco Leng Lui Album
~ latest update Oct 02

wais81
Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2004, 12:15 PM

Post #39 of 68 (2191 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Concorn] Beagle Behaviour & Attitude!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hello Krystal,

well i just got back from the states as well, did you say u got your puppy from a pet store, wow thats weird, i had a dog too when i was in the states and i couldn't find a single pet store that sell dogs, they only sell hamster and others. well although i do not know oh my beagle much, his advice is true, i have been dog owner for many years already, and i do agree with him, i have a beagle too, she is just like many other beagle, always wants attention and all, when i leave her in her cage, she will bark like mad. i've tried leaving the light on and all but to no avail, then i tried visiting her every few minutes. once i leave she will bark again...this is what i have done and it worked. when she is awake, i try to play as much as possible with her making her tired, then i let her go to her cage and sleep, sometimes she still barks once i leave and i will say no and enough to her. then she will be afraid because i raised my voice. now whenever she barks, i would just shout enough and no then she will understand and go to bed. it is easier if your dog is tired. my beagle is only 3+ months and she still needs to learn a lot. i am sure there are many breeders in the states that would give you very very good advice...stop letting her eat grass!!! try saying no when she eats grass and then immediately give her something to eat like treats...this will let her know what she can eat and what she cannot eat....whenever she eats grass, scold her and then feed her something else...once she get the idea that if she don;t eat grass then she will get rewarded then she will stop eating grass.constantly praise her if u see her behaving herself and not chewing grass...always scold her when she eats grass...haha i am repeting myself..sorry...glad to know you..

Christopher

ohmybeagle
Dog Kichi

Oct 9, 2004, 2:41 PM

Post #40 of 68 (2093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wais81] Beagle Behaviour & Attitude!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there.....

ermmm......pardon my boldness......i was just wondering if u have interest to let ur beagle girl breed?? I hope to breed My Lou later when he is about 16 months old......now he is 8 months old.....How old is ur girl ? I plan to breed my second beagle bitch too but she is too young now and she cant possibly breed with Lou cos they are both tan and white. Do let me know if u have interest.....we can talk about it.....it's fun to breed them and see a nice litter of puppies......it's not just about the money....it's the delight and the joy u get from the arrival of new lives......cute little puppies from ur own dog.......can u imagine the excitement??......it's an experience too......i would at least let my bitch whelp a litter in her entire life b4 i spay her to free her from the pain.

p/s: if u dont wanna drop a msg here u can email me :

Regards,

Sean Lim

wais81
Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2004, 6:31 PM

Post #41 of 68 (2092 views)
Shortcut

hello,

well i am glad u asked, would Lou take responsibility as a father and a loving husband to yoyo for the rest of his life?...just kiddin... yeah that will be a great idea. yo, yo is now almost 5 months i think...hmmph...will let you know after her second heat. i am sure excited about her getting cute little puppies especially with lou since he is a lemon white beagle.. just can imagine how cute their babies are going to be. well keep in touch. can mail me at this email as well Chris-LF@streamyx.com.

Christopher

ohmybeagle
Dog Kichi

Oct 9, 2004, 10:04 PM

Post #42 of 68 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Hi there....

thanks for the reply 1st....really glad u desire to let her breed....some ppl might not want the trouble but certainly not me.....on top of the money u get from the puppies....u get plenty of joy and experience.....u can even keep a pup for urself if they are nice...imagine.....

yeah Lou and Yoyo will produce half a litter of tricolor and half of tan and white in general belief. So the good thing is u have more choices for the customers........only Showperson dont prefer tan and white but certainly not pet owners......some just keep saying they are very rare and cute.....in fact.....if your yoyo is a dominant tricolor that means she carries two black genes in her then all the puppies will be tricolor....

Anyway......long time to go till her second heat....so take ur time to decide......but i hope we can meet up in future doggie event......bring YoYo to socialise outside with others.....let her meet other beagles la....it's really fun.....then we can see if YoYo will take Lou as her beloved husband and soulmate after that or not......haha.....just see if she is 'interested' or not......haha...kidding..... take down my email la in case u dont see me here often......just to remind u after some time about my proposal..... :)

anyway...i cant see ur email......puppy.com seems to have a problem....they cant display URL and emails properly in the forum.....dunno why.....do let me know if u cant see mine....cheersss

Regards,

Sean

wais81
Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2004, 6:06 PM

Post #43 of 68 (2029 views)
Shortcut

hello Sean,

yah, i am very excited and i am looking forward for yo yo to be the mother. i had many friends that had their doggies give birth ans i was there witnessing the birth. it was great. like having grandchilden..haha..keep in touch ya, save up my number as well incase the email is missing again. 0122990301

regards,

Christopher

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Oct 12, 2004, 6:17 PM)

Concorn
ALPHA

Nov 18, 2004, 8:31 PM

Post #44 of 68 (1855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wais81,ohmybeagle] Beagle Behaviour & Attitude!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello guys,

It's been some time now since the last chat on finding our beagle mates.

Sorry if I offended any of you, hv u guys read thru the threat at Breeding. Better do for a better understanding of breeding and the responsibilty of it.

It's good and enjoying having looking at our beloved pet's pup. But please be responsible and really check throughly on the history of the pup and related families...

I don't mean to offend you guys, just a reminder.!!Frown

*Coco & Concorn*

** If It's Yours it happen to be Mine, But What Is Mine Is always Be Mine - Coco's Motto**

Coco Leng Lui Album
~ latest update Oct 02

sharon82lim
Novice

Nov 18, 2004, 11:07 PM

Post #45 of 68 (1841 views)
Shortcut

Hi wais81~

I'm looking for a female beagle for my son too~~~Really hope to get him a son~~Hahaha~~Smile

He wont get bored when i go to work from 11am-7pm~~They can play together

How old is Yoyo now?

MisterStan
Doggyman

Nov 18, 2004, 11:49 PM

Post #46 of 68 (1838 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sharon82lim] Beagle Behaviour & Attitude!! [In reply to] Can't Post

hi sharon

is that your beagle at the avatar? she is beautiful...

sharon82lim
Novice

Nov 19, 2004, 3:11 AM

Post #47 of 68 (1825 views)
Shortcut

Thanks~~It's 'He' not 'She' le~~~

That's my son~~~smart right??hehehe

How about your beagle?I saw your photo album~~~Your beagle knows how to swim?So cute~~

My Beagle scares of the water 1~~anti-water~~~~UnsureUnsure

MisterStan
Doggyman

Nov 19, 2004, 4:12 AM

Post #48 of 68 (1816 views)
Shortcut

hi sharon

well, when you bring your beagle to PD, just carry him in the water, and automatically, he will swim!!

wais81
Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2004, 6:45 PM

Post #49 of 68 (1801 views)
Shortcut

hello,

Yoyo is fine and dandy now, well you should get ur son a companion if u can cope with two playful beagles hehe. well, could u sms me, will give u more detail about the breeder i know. 0122990301

regards

Christopher

sharon82lim
Novice

Nov 19, 2004, 8:38 PM

Post #50 of 68 (1796 views)
Shortcut

Wah~~~Scare he doesnt know how to swim le~~~

Maybe will scare him if drop him there~~For sure,he will hate me and angry at me 1~!!

I tried to use treats to guide him ,then run towards the sea~~But failed,he stops automatically when touch the water~ Crazy

How was your beagle when he swim for the 1st time?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my