Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Avoiding your dog being poisoned?

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 16, 2002, 7:16 PM

Post #1 of 12 (28433 views)
Shortcut
Avoiding your dog being poisoned? Can't Post

It has come to my notice that a number of members are worried about this matter.
There are some nothing better to do people with ulterior motives wanting to poison your dogs.
These b...... could be divided in 2 groups.
Your neighbours -those living further down the road,opposite your house or those at the back of your house- They are constantly being annoyed with your dog barking and they haven't the courage to come and approach you for your co-operations. In order to have a little bit of peace, either they report you to the authorities, or they poison your WowWow!
However, if you have such a neighbour, you could sense it, and it is your responsibilities to resolve the problem, after which, you dog will be as safe as the Rock of Gilbraltar.
It is those uninvited guests who wish to gain entry into your house to looksee what valuable you have and take what is useful to them. These people are difficult to control and contain.
You could however, minimise the risk. Ask yourself one simple question, and your problem is completely solved. What is the purpose of keeping a dog? (1) As a pet cum watch dog? (2) Totally as a guard dog? (3) An animal that will alert you when strangers are at the front gate? Most of us will opt for (1)&(3). What I would suggest is, daytime let your dog roam in the garden and outdoor. Nighttime, let him indoor or an enclosure where he could have an overall view of your property. The reason? You are not so concerned about prowlers in your garden, because you are not yet in immediate danger. When your dog barks furiously inside the house, it has done its job by warning you or waking you or telling you to investigate. If there is really a burglar, your first line of defense is only dented, because you could still scream for help or pick up the telephone and dial 999. or perhaps if you are brave enough, open the front door, with broom in hands and charge at the intruder/s with your dog!!!
On the other hand if your dog is left outdoor to patrol the garden, a piece of poisoned meat or a pussy cat out of the bag will fix your dog for good and the intruder/s could either pick your lock or force any windows opened of his choice.
So, members of the forum, think about it, which one is better?

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Feb 16, 2002, 7:27 PM

Post #2 of 12 (28429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Avoiding your dog being poisoned? [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess the reason I have a pet is for #1 - a pet cum watchdog. My dad and I are all for keeping the dog in the house at night, but my mum is really, really against it! hehe. She's not much of a doglover, and the floors are imported marble or something Tongue

Anyway, my dad has planned to have terracotta tiles in certain areas of the ground floor in our new house (soon-to-be-built) so that the dog can be let in... my mum doesn't have an excuse not to let the dogs in anymore! hehe.

-= Tisha =-

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 16, 2002, 8:02 PM

Post #3 of 12 (28429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Avoiding your dog being poisoned? [In reply to] Can't Post

So far, do I make sense or not? barring from every now and then some joke poking remarks, such as musical parvo.
As for the chatroom, leopui, rainbow and myself had been doing it regularly between 12.30AM and 1.30AM. Our chat room opens at these hours.
Didn't you know?
Please try to figure it out. Chilli Padi!

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Feb 16, 2002, 8:57 PM

Post #4 of 12 (28427 views)
Shortcut

I can relate to this because lately I've been having some problems with my neighbours in JB...you see the 2 houses next to me has like dozens of little malay kids running around....the houses are like a hostel and when my wowo see them, they get excited and bark..and instead of ignoring the dogs, these kids go and do stuff to get them more worked up and when these kids get scared, they start using branch to wave in front of the dog to scare them...I think this is the reason why my Holli who once used to approach strangers willingly now shys away from them which makes me very sad...

There was once I caught them and shouted at them but they ran off...so this is an ongoing thing and I don't know what to do except ignore them and hope and pray they move out soon...don't know if the neighbours will ever go to the extent of poisoning my dogs but now the two small fellors are in the house most of the time so that they won't have any contact with those nasty kids..oh yeah and don't tell me to talk to them..because it won't be any use at all...

I think that dogs are like friends and they should not expected to be your guardog or whatever you call it..I know of a friend who owns alsatians but never lets them out at night and would rather the theif steal his stuff and rob him clean then let his dogs get hurt..now this has happened before...and the police are always puzzled why robber will dare to enter the house when there are two big dogs???

So, I'm rambling..but you should know which way I'm leaning in respects to Derrick's question..Smile Now to go give my wowo a nice BIG HUG!!

leopui
K9 Maniac

Feb 16, 2002, 9:40 PM

Post #5 of 12 (28425 views)
Shortcut

... What is the purpose of keeping a dog?
(1) As a pet cum watch dog?
(2) Totally as a guard dog?
(3) An animal that will alert you when strangers are at the front gate? ...
I would go for (1), (2) & (3). That's why I have two types (in-term genetic character) of dogs in my house, one up-bringing for companionship and the other up-bringing is to perform security protection. With some level of training every now and then, you would most probably have a peaceful mind on your property safety as well as your dogs too.

My advice to all dog-keeper, your responsibilities is not limited to provide fresh water, food, cares and loves to your beloved dog but you are also responsible on it education (... and that's canine training) too. A trained dog is always the most wonderful thing to live with!!!

LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 16, 2002, 10:03 PM

Post #6 of 12 (28423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] Avoiding your dog being poisoned? [In reply to] Can't Post

ANYTIME BETTER LIVING WITH YOURS MRS!!!!!!!!

leopui
K9 Maniac

Feb 16, 2002, 10:47 PM

Post #7 of 12 (28421 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] Avoiding your dog being poisoned? [In reply to] Can't Post

... I think that dogs are like friends and they should not expected to be your guardog or whatever you call it ...

Opppppssss, for discussion sake Rainbow, I don't "quite" agreed with the above statement!!!

To my understanding, each dog breed is "designed" accordingly to what the founder would originally want to have on the breed. I have yet to realize with solid prove that there is dog that're "designed" and "build" is not for guarding purpose!!! Correct me if I am wrong, this apply to all breed ... may it be toy or large breed!!!

It is us the human being of modern day, re-establish the breed to keep them as companion pet. Will you aware that an English Bulldog was once the best personal guard dog? But today, he is just a companion pet!!!

Many companion dogs popular today come from working breeds. They are the ex's, like the poodle, ex-pointing breed and water dog; the Dalmatian, ex-hunter; or the fox terrier, ex-hunter in dens and lairs. But whatever the dog, whatever breed it may belong to, large or small, purebred or mongrel, over and its instincts for hunting and guarding, it know how to give company, warmth, and honesty.

The dog can be our friend & companion pet but still, I believe (my point of view) dog should be able / expected to perform their original instinct ... Guarding!!!

LEO PUI

leopui
K9 Maniac

Feb 16, 2002, 10:53 PM

Post #8 of 12 (28421 views)
Shortcut

Derrick,

Are you just pulling my leg??? Hahahahahha!!! Since we're talking about dog, you are 100% RIGHT on this issue!!! But when we are talking about family, we both 100% wrong on this issue!!!
LEO PUI

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Feb 17, 2002, 1:10 AM

Post #9 of 12 (28416 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] Avoiding your dog being poisoned? [In reply to] Can't Post

... I think that dogs are like friends and they should not expected to be your guardog or whatever you call it ...

Leopui, you seem to have twisted my words around...I say you should not expect your dog to guard your house..plainly and simply is because if you leave them out at night to guard your house, they might get hurt!!! Unless you aren't attached to them and have them solely and plainly to guard..like some rich people have security personal with big dogs patrolling the compound...

But, since this is their natural instint, you cannot stop them from doing it..but you shouldn't expect them to do it as well...

I agree that one of a dog's natural instinct is to guard..but this is plainly because he treats the house as his/her territory.....

I have yet to realize with solid prove that there is dog that're "designed" and "build" is not for guarding purpose!!! Correct me if I am wrong, this apply to all breed ... may it be toy or large breed!!!

Only certain breeds were bred and designed to enhance their guarding abilities..to make them look fierce and so on...the rest toy breeds...and other breeds had an inbuilt instinct to guard their territory...as in all wild dogs...so, nope dogs weren't designed or built for guarding purpose..they came with it..

One last thing..The dog can be our friend & companion pet but still, I believe (my point of view) dog should be able / expected to perform their original instinct ... Guarding!!!
You can't stop a dog from barking but you also shouldn't expect it to bark just for guarding purposes

leopui
K9 Maniac

Feb 17, 2002, 3:15 AM

Post #10 of 12 (28413 views)
Shortcut

Hi Rainbow,

I must admitted that I did "over re-act" toward your early statement ... but as mentioned all this are for the sake of discussion. If I ever did "un-intentionally" twisted your word around ... please forgive!!!

Now ... I like to seek for better understanding and to hear from your (or other forum members) point of view toward the following:

... I say you should not expect your dog to guard your house ...
When human-being first obtain dog from the wild, people use them to assist in hunting as well as to protect their living area ... If "those" people could do so,
Why can I (we) expected my (our) dog to guard my (our) house?

... plainly and simply is because if you leave them out at night to guard your house, they might get hurt!!!
mmmuhhhhh, I am fully aware how you feel over your dog ... but, I see no reason why are you saying that ... Unless you aren't attached to them and have them solely and plainly to guard ... whether I (or we) attached to the dog or not is totally a different point of view for not allowing them on guard by itself.

A soldier in Malaysia consider a peaceful employment for one when to compare in other country in term of regular wars' duties. A Malaysian soldier can get married and he can be a loving husband and an responsible father apart from his duty to serve and to protect his country.

When situation come, country needed him for Wars and unfortunately, he lost his life in the thin line of duties, could we put the blamed over the country??? Or the enemy?

I guess I can understand your situation over your beloved dog, you are keeping her strictly for companionship but what I want to stress is, the dog (trained or untrained) is suppose to be EXPECTED to guard just like a Soldier does!!!

If we worry over the dog's safety while he is on guard, then as an owner, we should train the said dog, which this would help and to minimize the un-present incident.

... since this is their natural instint, you cannot stop them from doing it ... but you shouldn't expect them to do it as well ... Regard to this line, I would say, we can stop them for doing it and would encourage them to do it with some level of training!!!

Only certain breeds were bred and designed to enhance their guarding abilities..to make them look fierce and so on...the rest toy breeds...and other breeds had an inbuilt instinct to guard their territory...as in all wild dogs...so, nope dogs weren't designed or built for guarding purpose..they came with it.. Well, whether they (some) are "designed" to enhance or they (some) came with it ... the bottom line is they know how to guard as this is
one of a dog's natural instinct as you mentioned.

... You can't stop a dog from barking but you also shouldn't expect it to bark just for guarding purposes ...
If I understanding this sentence correctly, I can STOP a dog from barking and I can "enhance" this dog for guarding purpose with some level of training!!!

LEO PUI

(This post was edited by leopui on Feb 17, 2002, 3:17 AM)

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 18, 2002, 2:44 AM

Post #11 of 12 (28400 views)
Shortcut

THE OLD DOG BARKS!!

I think both of you are correct and also wrong. By this statement, it certainly makes me look like an Ular dua Kepala (one on each end).
Rainbow’s idea on pet cum guard dog is more of a protective attitude
towards the animal, reason being that her Holli is only 8-10 inches
high and weighs about 20-30 lbs would certainly not qualify to do the
job of a GSD/Dogue de Bordeaux/Dobermann/Rottweiler. Therefore,
she is correct in saying that dogs are like friends and they should not be
expected to be your guard dogs. However, she should have added that,
they instead be the burglar’s alarm.
On the other hand, Leopui is in the guard dog business. If the situation
warrants it, I am sure he will sacrifice a guard dog rather than to bring
injuries to himself. And so leopui’s philosophy is, in time of peace, we are friends, if there is a war, I have trained the dog to be a good fighter, now
go forth to the battle field and fight like a brave soldier be.
My 2 sens worth of opinion and contribution. You all know I have a total
of 8 Dalmatians, ranging from 9 years old to 14 months old. They are never
and ever good guard dogs, but they are excellent burglar alarms. During the day, they roam freely in the garden. At night, two come into the house on rotation basis. Three are kept in an enclosure on the front porch and three
are kept at the back of the house where the wet kitchen is located. I find
this arrangement most satisfactory and security wise, next to none.
Hence, I am indeed, enjoying the best of both worlds.

Here is an article taken from the net for further reading for those interested.

The dog is one of the most popular pets in the world. It ordinarily remains loyal to a considerate master, and because of this the dog has been called man's best friend. Class distinctions between people have no part in a dog's life. It can be a faithful companion to either rich or poor.
Dogs have been domesticated for most of human history and have thus endeared themselves to many over the years. Stories have been told about brave dogs that served admirably in war or that risked their lives to save persons in danger. When Pompeii--the Roman community destroyed by Mount Vesuvius in AD 79--was finally excavated, searchers found evidence of a dog lying across a child, apparently trying to protect the youngster. Perhaps few of the millions of dogs in the world may be so heroic, but they are still a source of genuine delight to their owners.
A dog fits easily into family life. It thrives on praise and affection. When a master tells a dog that it is good, the animal happily wags its tail. But when a master scolds a dog, it skulks away with a sheepish look and with its tail tucked between its legs.
People in the city as well as those in other areas can enjoy a dog. Medium-size or small dogs are best suited for the confines of the city. Large dogs need considerable exercise over a large area.
Dogs are not always well thought of, however. In recent years dogs in the city have been in the center of controversy. Some people have criticized dog owners for allowing their pets to soil sidewalks and lawns, although in some cities laws oblige owners to walk their dogs along street curbs. In turn, dog owners have argued that the animals serve as protection against vandals and burglars and thus protect their detractors as well as their owners.
When a person decides to own a dog, he should be prepared to care for it properly. For a dog to stay healthy it must be correctly fed and adequately groomed, and its medical needs must be met. For a dog to be well-mannered it must be properly trained. It should never be ill-treated or mishandled. Otherwise, it will bite in its own defense.
The wild ancestors of all dogs were hunters. Wolves and other wild relatives of the dog still hunt in packs for their food. Dogs have retained the urge to be with the pack. This is why they do not like to be left alone for long. Some breeds of dogs still retain the hunting instinct.
Dogs exist in a wide range of sizes, colors, and temperaments. Some, such as the Doberman pinscher and the German shepherd, serve as alert and aggressive watchdogs. Others, such as the beagle and the cocker spaniel, are playful family pets, even though they were bred for hunting. Still others, such as the collie and the Welsh corgi, can herd farm or range animals. Each of the dogs just mentioned is a purebred. A mongrel dog, however--one with many breeds in its background--can just as easily fit into family life.
Dogs have been with humans since prehistoric times. Over the years they have performed various services. They have pulled sleds over snowy tracts. They have delivered messages, herded sheep and cattle, and even rescued persons trapped in the snow. Dogs have served as a source of food, too. The ancient Romans are said to have prized certain kinds of dog stew. The Aztecs of ancient Mexico raised tiny dogs, thought to be the forebears of the chihuahua, to feed the large carnivores in the private zoos of the Aztec rulers. In the past dogs have even been worshiped as gods. Recently, they have been used in drug research, medical experimentation, and space science. Soviet scientists launched dogs into space to test the ability of mammals to survive the rigors of space travel before people were sent up.
Dogs are trained as guard dogs in peacetime by the United States Army and other military services. Because of their keen sense of smell, dogs are used by police at times to track down escaped prisoners. Law enforcement agencies also rely on the dog's acute sense of smell to uncover illegal drugs. And specially trained dogs serve as the "eyes" of the blind, guiding the steps of their sightless masters around obstacles and hazards.

leopui
K9 Maniac

Feb 18, 2002, 4:48 AM

Post #12 of 12 (28397 views)
Shortcut

Thank you for your point of view, Derrick.

I was too "small eyes" toward the particular word that been used. I hope I will be "bigger eyes" toward my future reply if there is. Sorry, if I have making this subject way too serious!!!

Happy posting and all the best.
LEO PUI

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my