Clearing teeth tartar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sweet
Dog Kichi

Jun 20, 2004, 11:33 PM

Post #1 of 40 (2531 views)
Shortcut
Clearing teeth tartar Can't Post

My dog's teeth colour is turning from yellow to black. She is old and I am afraid it is not possible for her to chew bones to clean the stubborn tartar.

She refuses to let me touch her mouth, I wanted to clean her mouth so much. She went for her tooth scaling 3 years back, now her teeth is desperately in need for cleaning. I talked to my vet and he is reluctant to do scaling cos the procedures need GA, not advisable to take the risk!

She runs to hide whenever she sees me holding a toothbrush or the dental spray. What should I do? Pls give me possible advices. Thanks a zillion!

a_evie
Doggyman

Jun 22, 2004, 10:23 AM

Post #2 of 40 (2518 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sweet] Clearing teeth tartar [In reply to] Can't Post

the scaling is tough as it involves GA. some members have given cow hoofs and it works a fair bit to clean the teeth. but before giving her the hoofs, you must consider how is her gums and teeth in general.

if she runs when she sees the spray or the brush, you may have to resort to using a soft cloth wrapped round your finger and clean her gradually. after each session reward her with something she loves to do or eat.

start off by just cleaning the front of her teeth...then a couple of days later the front and little more....progress alittle every few days or every 1 week depending on how comfortable she is.

sweet
Dog Kichi

Jun 23, 2004, 8:21 PM

Post #3 of 40 (2508 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] Clearing teeth tartar [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for yr advice. One of her teeth dropped out yesterday. My husband managed to spray her mouth using dental spray. I hope she be good girl, let us clean her teeth.

I think of sending her to another vet for dental & general checkup. She has not been going for vaccination for many years after encountered a bad incident. Do you think it is critical for her to go for the jab?

a_evie
Doggyman

Jun 24, 2004, 3:24 AM

Post #4 of 40 (2503 views)
Shortcut

you mean doggie dental spray right?

no worries...it takes time for an older doggie to get used to having their teeth cleaned.

yuanyuan
ALPHA

Jun 25, 2004, 11:21 PM

Post #5 of 40 (2498 views)
Shortcut

by the way.. what is GA?

**YY(Yuanyuan aka Erica), VV (Eevee Daphne) & DD (Edy Skippy) with loves**

a_evie
Doggyman

Jun 26, 2004, 2:58 AM

Post #6 of 40 (2496 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yuanyuan] Clearing teeth tartar [In reply to] Can't Post

general anesthesia...put to snooze mode while a surgery or in thsi case whilst the cleaning is going on.

la...local anesthesia...so that a localised / specific part won't feel what is going on.

sweet
Dog Kichi

Jun 27, 2004, 6:00 AM

Post #7 of 40 (2494 views)
Shortcut

Hi today I brought my dog to another vet for dental checkup as well as general checkup. She advised me that she would definitely need to clear its tartar buildup, front lower teeth needs more cleanup.

Since my dog urea level is high, she feels that in the next appt, she needs to put it on drip in the morning, later do teeth scaling.

Any one experiences such procedure? Can give me more feedback? Blush

a_evie
Doggyman

Jun 27, 2004, 7:42 AM

Post #8 of 40 (2492 views)
Shortcut

you don't by chance feed her grapes or raisins? have to be careful as grapes and raisins does contribute to this prob...for whatever strange reasons.

have not had that experience. but some care that you can take now is to reduce protein. try to get k/d diet from s/d prescriptives or even walthams. alternatively you can make homecooked for kidney prob frukids.

check with your vet on the availability of kd diet.

the teeth scaling is nothing..just make sure that after the ga wears off...you'll be there to make sure she does not walk into glass doors or the walls....quite kesian was...they get up blur blur wan.

i sat with colby and cuddled him for 3 hours after he woke up...then i walked with him round the house and refused to let him climb the steps...carried him lor.

sweet
Dog Kichi

Jun 27, 2004, 9:33 PM

Post #9 of 40 (2488 views)
Shortcut

Hi, she doesn't like eating grapes n raisins, so I never feed it to her.

I prefer feeding home-cooked food to Baby, she enjoys it more!

As for tooth scaling, she has done it once with different vet but without drip. She doesnt have many teeth, now, she needs to do scaling again.

a_evie
Doggyman

Jun 27, 2004, 10:03 PM

Post #10 of 40 (2486 views)
Shortcut

if it is not many teeth left...no worries. the experienced vet wll adjust the ga to suit the time needed for the scaling.

but it would help if you provide a lot of water these days...let her flush out the ga from her system...and alsothe excessive urea.

i replied to your diet post liao.

yuanyuan
ALPHA

Jun 28, 2004, 4:48 AM

Post #11 of 40 (2479 views)
Shortcut

hi

thanks for the explaination.. by the way... when i shud bring my dog for dental check up leh?

a_evie
Doggyman

Jun 28, 2004, 11:43 AM

Post #12 of 40 (2477 views)
Shortcut

like her mummy lor. at least twice a year.

hehe...actually i ship everyone off for dentals twice a eyar including the cats.

yuanyuan
ALPHA

Jun 28, 2004, 7:43 PM

Post #13 of 40 (2476 views)
Shortcut

izzit... so any vet can do the dental checking rite?

a_evie
Doggyman

Jun 29, 2004, 2:23 AM

Post #14 of 40 (2470 views)
Shortcut

yeah...make sure its your regular vet so that the furkids are accustomed to them.

yuanyuan
ALPHA

Jun 29, 2004, 3:01 AM

Post #15 of 40 (2469 views)
Shortcut

evie.. thanks for your help...

sweet
Dog Kichi

Jul 2, 2004, 5:50 AM

Post #16 of 40 (2456 views)
Shortcut

A question to ask : Why teeth scaling takes a long time? From 9am to 4pm. Any idea?

Thanks!

sweet
Dog Kichi

Jul 4, 2004, 12:37 AM

Post #17 of 40 (2447 views)
Shortcut

Today is Baby's appointment for dental scaling but she isn't feeling well. She doesn't want to walk much in the morning, looks tired. I got a instinct that today is not the right day for scaling.

I still bring Baby to clinic, the vet prescibed liquid antibiotics for her, the vet told her you escape!

a_evie
Doggyman

Jul 7, 2004, 5:14 AM

Post #18 of 40 (2433 views)
Shortcut

oh...

how is baby now?

as for 9-4....well they need time for the ga to take effect and also for baby to recover decently before letting baby follow you home. during that time, they will observe baby's vital signs as well...

sweet
Dog Kichi

Jul 9, 2004, 4:32 AM

Post #19 of 40 (2423 views)
Shortcut

The vet prescribed 1 week liquid antibiotics for my dear. I started to notice she becomes very greedy, she even wants my food, which I give a little, and her head is shaky (as if she is shivering), not her body.

Funny! She doesn't used to behave in this manner!

Teeth scaling is postponed, probably will carry out on this Saturday. I couldn't help feeling uneasy. Unsure

a_evie
Doggyman

Jul 9, 2004, 6:53 AM

Post #20 of 40 (2421 views)
Shortcut

her head is shaking? sounds "funny"...but she is conscious rught? not epilepsy or something...

what did the vet say? why the antibiotics? and how is she now?

sweet
Dog Kichi

Jul 9, 2004, 8:48 PM

Post #21 of 40 (2396 views)
Shortcut

The vet told me the side-effects could be diarrhoea, improve appetite, but she doesn't apprehend why shaky head. Anyway, she has completed 1 wk antibiotics.

The reason for giving antibiotics is she isn't well on last Sat, I hope the vet doesn't abuse using antibiotics! She is going for her dental scaling tomorrow, oh dear, I am a bit worried, I think I would be questioning the vet how confident she is, the risk involved etc.

Oh, cheer up, once the scaling done, Baby would be feeling great!

a_evie
Doggyman

Jul 18, 2004, 7:15 PM

Post #22 of 40 (2357 views)
Shortcut

sorry for the terribly late reply. been very caught up with work.

how is she now? went ahead with the scaling?

i did read somewhere that it could be something in her ears that is irritating her.

anyway, i had one furkid then who once kept scratching his ears and shaking his head. we checked him and did a skin scrape. everything was good. then it occured to us that 1 month as he is still doing the head shake (think feng tau), that we could probably run an ear flush. guess what we found? 1 red ant. the big ones that we see on fruit trees. how the fella got into dog dog's ears (hmmm...his name is dog dog)...we have no inkling.

tan_ling
Dog Kichi

Jul 18, 2004, 7:27 PM

Post #23 of 40 (2356 views)
Shortcut

my dog also always shaking her ear too...u mean ear flush??how the doctor do??Frown

sweet
Dog Kichi

Jul 19, 2004, 8:32 PM

Post #24 of 40 (2351 views)
Shortcut

The night before scaling, she had a slight fall and she was limping, hopping with 3 legs. I panicked and rang the vet and the scaling was cancelled. Now, she recovers but still with a slight limp. Dare not to make dental appt yet.

Her head went shaky when she got anxious and excited. Laugh

Thank you for your concern!Smile

tan_ling
Dog Kichi

Jul 20, 2004, 7:03 AM

Post #25 of 40 (2348 views)
Shortcut

yaya...my dog also shaking when he got excited and anxious too....why like tat??is it a problem??

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my