Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
bladder infection?

tipperpup
Novice

Jan 6, 2003, 1:16 PM

Post #1 of 19 (3258 views)
Shortcut
bladder infection? Can't Post

hi,hope some boddy can help me ! just came back from our daily walkand noticed that my 9 week old pup tipper been peeing an afull lot , about 25 times!!!she had to take antibiotics for some days,just finisht yesterday.i know humans get bladder infection and other infections when taking antibiotics.could it be the same with dogs.we have just gotten a clean bill of health from the vet yeserday,and she seems to have no other sing of illness. does anybobby know what to do,must we go back to the vet?or is there something i can do at home.humans drink cranberryjuice.she also had her shots yesterday could it have to do with that? sabine[tipperpup]

les
K9 Maniac

Jan 26, 2003, 7:03 AM

Post #2 of 19 (3238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tipperpup] bladder infection? [In reply to] Can't Post

hello..

I think my dog had the same problem like ur dog too. My dog Sunny been peeing alot lately.. and the urine got some blood.. and i brought him to the vet.. and got sum antibiotic and urine antiseptic pils.. Sunny seems recover abit after a few days after.. but then after sum pils finished.. he started to bleed while peeing.. Frown Im worried.. so much.. and i noticed that there is sum "crystals" on the urine.. hmm..

The vet said tat if sunny condition is still continue on like tis.. Maybe have to knock him down and do the operation to clear his dunno wat.. wuwuwuwu.. im so worried... any1 have any idea? help?

*~Sunny Macho, My lil puggy~*
Laugh -Born 15th March, 2002-
Laugh

Copied this frm ahming, touch huh?
"Please don't cry in front of my grave,

I don't mind if you keep a new dog.

I won't angry if you give my toys to others dog,

I will be happy if other dogs can enjoy your love as me."

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 26, 2003, 11:50 AM

Post #3 of 19 (3235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [les] bladder infection? [In reply to] Can't Post

oh dear! sounds kinda serious.. although i do not have any experience in this.. but i think it sounds serious.. bring it to the vet and seek prof. advise asap before things turns bad. do update us to let us know sunny's condition! get well soon!

cyphang
Canine Addict

Jan 26, 2003, 8:08 PM

Post #4 of 19 (3234 views)
Shortcut

OK, don't panic. My girl Sunnie had the same condition, called polyurea (urinating very frequently with very diluted and colorless urine), its an early sign of kidney dysfunction, and my doctor and my medical student sister said it could be due to the antibiotics prescribed for her eye condition. We stopped giving her kibble and her vet medication and I cooked all her meals and she was on herbal remedies. The urine turned back normal colour now (after 3 weeks) and the frequency is more normal now too. Not sure if it's because we stopped giving her the kibble or because of the herbs.

If you dog has kidney problems, you should feed him or her with a low-protein diet until she recovers. A high protein diet will have a huge toll on the kidneys. As I cook the meals for my Sunnie girl, I could monitor how much protein I put in her meals.

For Sunny, he seems to have symptoms of kidney stones, not bladder infection. I once visited the Healing Rooms clinic at Subang Parade and there was a pug puppy just operated for kidney stones, you may want to have a kidney scan for Sunny to determine if he has the stones. Don't just knock him just like that. Vets cannot be right all the time. I also nearly put Sunnie down, the vet said she would get blind very soon and asked me to consider of putting her down, but after 5 weeks, she's still running around without bumping into things, and her vision has definitely improved and grown !
With warm regards,
CY Phang

Mummy of Sunnie, the happy, cheeky and naughty female shih tzu pup

(This post was edited by cyphang on Jan 26, 2003, 8:11 PM)

les
K9 Maniac

Jan 27, 2003, 10:25 AM

Post #5 of 19 (3227 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cyphang] bladder infection? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks cyphang..

Healing Room in Subang Parade is so near.. think i will take sunny there for the scanning.. Do u know how much it cost for the scanning? Thx

Laugh

cyphang
Canine Addict

Jan 27, 2003, 4:35 PM

Post #6 of 19 (3226 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, didn't ask about ths scanning and the cost.
With warm regards,
CY Phang

ashley
ALPHA

Jan 27, 2003, 8:09 PM

Post #7 of 19 (3220 views)
Shortcut

Hi, last time my chihuahua also like this than i bring her to vet and do the blood test , urine test also.
May be u can do the blood test and urine test. Or Dr told me to collect some urine ( must fresh and straight forward from her pee pee time.) than u try to see whether got any thing inside or u take this urine let Dr check for u!! Hope my information won't make u blur!!
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

les
K9 Maniac

Feb 14, 2003, 9:25 PM

Post #8 of 19 (3199 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ashley] bladder infection? [In reply to] Can't Post

Brought Sunny to see the vet at healing room Subang, and x-ray.. bad news that Sunny need to be surgery to remove the stones. And it cost ard RM300 - RM500.. haven't talk to the vet yet.. but think he will give me a call when he is in the clinic ard noon..

worried.. really worried.. :(

Laugh

cdmoo
ALPHA

Feb 14, 2003, 10:06 PM

Post #9 of 19 (3195 views)
Shortcut

hi Les,

Sorry to hear this..hope Sunny will be doing fine after the surgery.

BTW, welcome back to the forum..Smile

Cheers up!

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

ginl
ALPHA

Feb 14, 2003, 10:38 PM

Post #10 of 19 (3191 views)
Shortcut

Hi Les,

So sorry to hear about Sunny...did the vet say what caused the stones? Pls keep us posted on Sunny's progress.

ashley
ALPHA

Feb 14, 2003, 11:01 PM

Post #11 of 19 (3189 views)
Shortcut

Hi les!! so when u will bring sunny go to do operation? no other wait to do meh? like take medicine or injection? ShockedHope Sunny will getting well without operation loh......Unsure
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

boon
Doggyman

Feb 22, 2003, 9:53 AM

Post #12 of 19 (3179 views)
Shortcut

Hi Les,

Sorry to hear this and hope Sunny will get well soon. Keep my finger X for him and you.

Last but not least, welcome back.Cool

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

Ausranger
Dog Kichi

Apr 17, 2003, 9:19 PM

Post #13 of 19 (3037 views)
Shortcut

Hello CY Phang

Sunnie is such a cute little girl, I'm glad you persevered. I'm writing because my Emmy also seems to have some sort of bladder infection as she's peeing quite a bit more than normal, but no blood and not really pale either. Other than that she seems OK, happy and eating fine. It's a hassle to take her to the vet, so at the moment I thought I'd just keep an eye on her, but after reading your post, thought maybe a diet change could help.

Can you tell me what sort of things you were cooking for Sunnie to keep her protein content light? I'd really appreciate any advice.

Regards

Dorothy

cyphang
Canine Addict

Apr 17, 2003, 11:36 PM

Post #14 of 19 (3029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ausranger] bladder infection? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was recommended by my friend to give Sunnie raw pork instead of lamb and beef because it's the lightest and less fats. But because I'm worried about tape worms so I normally lightly steam the minced pork before giving it to her. I mainly steam potatoes (mash them properly cuz they don't get digested well), carrots, rice and pork. Once a week she gets a big steamed pork knuckle bone. I think you can probably start giving your dog like 15 % of meat protein and gradually add a little after that. But do not exceed 20 percent. WIth cooking, you are able to monitor the amount and type of food you want to feed her. Oh yes, reduce the sodium (if you are giving her canned food or kibble or table scraps :-) to reduce the strain on the kidney. Let me check with my doctor what herbs are good for the kidney, perhaps that would help a bit.

Not sure if it will work but try reducing the kibble and protein. If you have to feed her the kibble, look for one brand that has a less portion of protein.

Hope your Emmy gets back on track soon.

Do keep me in the loop.
With warm regards,
CY Phang

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 18, 2003, 12:27 AM

Post #15 of 19 (3026 views)
Shortcut

hi guys

I went to the petshop in SS2 yesterday. The guy there told me that Science Diet has very high Protein content cause it's made from a lot of soya products. He also mentioned that too much protein is not good for the dog, esp pups. (of course as of last nite I didn't know how 'not good' it was CrazyUnsure)

I was using Pro Plan before and I told him I noticed the quality wasn't as good. He said that's because it's now manufactured in Australia and not USA. Management change, apparently.but in a few months time the new batch should be from USA.

So after a long discussion with him, I was deciding between Eagle Pack and back to basics. In the end, he recommended me Back to basics cause he said that the dog could stick to one formula from puppy to adulthood. And he said the back to basics had less protein contents compared to the rest.

I really didn't know that protein could be so damaging to a dog if given in larger quantities. But the food we cook (ie lamb or chicken) also contains protein...does it mean we should not give too much meat too? What about beancurd "tau foo fah"? My pup loves it...i'm afraid now I've given him a protein overdose. Unsure I always thought Protein is good for skin, growth..etc etc..etc.. Ignorance isn't always bliss, eh? Blush

cyphang
Canine Addict

Apr 18, 2003, 4:01 AM

Post #16 of 19 (3021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] bladder infection? [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot what is the figure for the ideal content of protein for dogs or puppies but i think cooking and preparing food for my dog is much easier to determine the protein quality and quantity. I usually maintain it less than 20 % of the total weight of the food. Protein itself is not enough for skin, growth etc. The dog also needs essential fatty acids, vitamins, carbohydrates and other minerals.

Too much protein will also cause joint problems when the dog ages.

Like Aristotle said, moderation is the key to most things in life...Smile
With warm regards,
CY Phang

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 18, 2003, 5:37 PM

Post #17 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

thanks cyphang! Smile I'm learning a lot each day..hehe Tongue

Ausranger
Dog Kichi

Apr 23, 2003, 12:30 AM

Post #18 of 19 (2976 views)
Shortcut

Emmy is getting back to normal. Not sure if the diet helped or she just got better herself. Anyway, I've learnt something, so that's always good.

cyphang
Canine Addict

Apr 23, 2003, 3:33 AM

Post #19 of 19 (2969 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ausranger] bladder infection? [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to hear that...hope she recovers fully soon ! Hugs from Sunnie Smile
With warm regards,
CY Phang

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my