dog eat dog world

buttons
Dog Kichi

Jan 5, 2003, 6:29 AM

Post #1 of 9 (2100 views)
Shortcut
dog eat dog world Can't Post

HI

i have a problem at home my female jack russell terrier 1 yr old (Buttons)is getting more and more aggressive by the day. She bit another one of my dog today also a female (Murphy) chihuahua X Duchshund 8 yr old and Buttons chooses to bully only the female dog. when i brought murphy to the vet the doc said that there is no choice but to separate them. i dont see how it is possible bcoz all 3 of them live indoors. how should i solve this problem (reducing my jack russel's territorial behaviour)?

:( i wanna be the alpha dog! nyuk nyuk

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 5, 2003, 8:45 AM

Post #2 of 9 (2093 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buttons] dog eat dog world [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Buttons is a cutie...so many whiskers! Tongue

I've not had any experience in aggressive dog as my jrt is a little teddy bear, never really growled at any dog or ppl before but I've read a lot of problems such as yours at the JRTCA site....usually they'll advise you to spay your dog to lessen any aggression as females do sometimes tend to be territorial....Buttons is 1 yr old and she's probably at a stage where she is ready to challenge the older dogs for the alpha role and same sex aggression is very well documented in this breed. If Buttons has become the alpha then you shd treat her as it is, ie. when giving treats or feeding she'll be the first and if u pet your dogs she shd be the first one....by treating her as the alpha she might stop harrassing your other dog....coz if u are treating your other dog first then she will continue to fight for her role in the pack.

buttons
Dog Kichi

Jan 5, 2003, 11:05 AM

Post #3 of 9 (2083 views)
Shortcut

thx ginl

but buttons gets all the attention like 99% of the time... is there any schools or trainers i can go to ? talkin abt alpha dog i cannot be certain which one of the female dog is the alpha dog coz Buttons will neve snatch Murphy's food but she snatches my male dogs food mickey. most of the time she wont dare to disturn murphy but at time she will start blockin Murphys walk way and bark and bark at her non stop till a fight starts. she get very angry when we pet murphy not mickey....but shes getting more n more aggressive by the day and braver...i need help b4 she kills murphy...then my mom will kill me......Pirate......

i hav not met another JRT b4 ...lucky u ginl.....got a nice little dog Angelic with out an attitude problem !

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 5, 2003, 8:41 PM

Post #4 of 9 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Yes there is the obedience training conducted by MKA at Padang Merbuk every Sunday evening....you shd consider enrolling Buttons in to teach her some basic commands and learn to listen and respect you when u give her a command or correction....frm what you hv described Mickey is not a threat to her but Murphy is....Murphy sounds like the alpha dog in the hse all this time and now Buttons is getting up the courage to fight for that role....usually it is best to leave it up to the dogs themselves to sort it out but in your case Buttons and Murphy sounds like they are at each others throat at times....so I guess it's best you be there to supervise them whenever they are in a room together....they shd never be left alone together without any supervision coz if they are persistent enough you will end up with having one very injured dog.

buttons
Dog Kichi

Jan 6, 2003, 12:46 PM

Post #5 of 9 (2067 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] dog eat dog world [In reply to] Can't Post

hi ginl

i was actually at padang merbuk checkin the place out..however was there like 5 min b4 6pm so every one was leaving... i kinda saw 2 jack russells not sure if its you Smile

i will enroll BUttons into the class but it ll hav to wait a month or at least a few weeks... i made doc appointment to spay her tis thursdayy ehehehe...soo she ll need time to recover fr the op ..,,

she actually know some commands like and sit, down, roll over, shake hand, crawling, stay...however she ll only perform when there a reward infront of her ehehe very materialistic doggi...wit out food, call oso she wont come, depends on her mood...I hope the training at padang merbuk will help...wat course should i enroll her in? and how should i enroll her? just turn up on sunday wit my dog? or need to hav appointmwts 1st?

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 6, 2003, 7:56 PM

Post #6 of 9 (2057 views)
Shortcut

Hey Buttons! Yes i think one of them u saw was me coz i happened to drop by yesterday....there was one Jack doing the obedience training and then another one outside just being kaypoh, that was us Tongue

If u r already an MKA member then all u hv to do is register for the next class....i hear they are usually quite full so it's best u register as early as possible...if u r not an MKA member then u'll hv to register with MKA first to be a member....you'll be registering for the basic class....if u need more info, u can check out mka's site at ....they are located at Tmn Tun.

eh same lar with my dog....he does his commands best if there are treats or food around....no treat no talk with these guys heheh....stubbornness runs thru the veins of every Jack i suppose.

buttons
Dog Kichi

Jan 6, 2003, 11:36 PM

Post #7 of 9 (2047 views)
Shortcut

hey ginl

ahah noo tats not me...i didnt bring any dogs along with me... i saw 2 jack russell too but boths males....1st time i ve seen another jack russell...however my dog looks abit different she much taller then the both i hav seen ! hehehe i hope i didnt get con by the pet shop but shes got MKA cert la...ehehe ...will bring her soon to meet Biscuit ehhehe . i will get registered asap ! thx

buttons
Dog Kichi

Jan 21, 2003, 10:04 AM

Post #8 of 9 (2018 views)
Shortcut

hie

i brought buttons back to my house today but they still wanna fight sigh.....she still wanna start a fight wit murphy....right now im keepin them in separate rooms Frown

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 21, 2003, 6:13 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2014 views)
Shortcut

Hey Buttons,

Try going to JRTCA site (http://www.terrier.com) and do a search on JRT aggression....they hv addressed a lot of issues of aggressions between 2 or more dogs......it seems a lot of JRTs can be very dog aggressive.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my