Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
cleaning puppies face

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Jan 1, 2003, 7:01 PM

Post #1 of 18 (4749 views)
Shortcut
cleaning puppies face Can't Post

Hi...as this is the first time owning a puppy, I had a friend to help me give Bubbles a bath about two weeks ago. but now, as she had been sick, I've been told by the vet no baths. I do manage to wipe her down with a warm damp towel...though she hates it..will start growling. But I have big problems cleaning up her face.first, her whachamacallit stuff beside her eyes has harden..I've a hard time cleaning it up and she hates it. Then comes to the fur all around her face..and esp. around her mouth. The multi vitamin drops Vet prescribed smells so much like "Bovrill"....so now, her face smells of "Bovrill" and fur is matted and slightly stiff. But she bit my finger really hard when I tried wiping her face.. So..please..how do I clean her face with all my fingers still intact?? And what about all those cologne and powders for inbetween baths...are they good for puppies? I've tried the powder but Bubbles seems "dusty" after that. What do you all do inbetween baths? My daughter smells of Bubbles now..so, that's no good from the stares people give her when she goes out after carrying Bubbles.Crazy

(This post was edited by Pebbles on Jan 1, 2003, 7:04 PM)

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 2, 2003, 8:33 PM

Post #2 of 18 (4735 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pebbles] cleaning puppies face [In reply to] Can't Post

what breed are you having right now? For my dog, we use to carry her up with our arns, as my dog is quite tiny and wipe off her mouth after eating with damp towel. As for her eyes, i'll hold her by the jaw, and wipe it first with wet cottonball around her eyes, then after a minute or two, then just wipe it off with a clean towel or cotton ball.... there are dog perfumes that you can purchase from the petshop if your dog begins to smell. You shouldn't rely too much on that though, using damp towels to clean her would be good :)

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 3, 2003, 9:22 AM

Post #3 of 18 (4724 views)
Shortcut

ooh i love those bovril smelling tablets - are you giving vit B? they smell so tasty that i feel like eating them whenever i give them to our dogs! i genrally like the puppy smell more than cologne smell.

To clean icky eyes, a damp towel will do. No need for any shampoo or soap there. What breed is she? A good way to get out angels is to use a de-ticking comb. These have really fine teeth and gets everything out, from ticks to dried milk (that make your pup's fur stiff) I find combing out the stiff hairs, then wiping witha damp towl gets rid of unwanted dirt and smell.

have fun!

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 4, 2003, 10:33 AM

Post #4 of 18 (4709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] cleaning puppies face [In reply to] Can't Post

What Bovril smelling tablets? What are they for? Any good for dogs?

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 4, 2003, 10:55 AM

Post #5 of 18 (4707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] cleaning puppies face [In reply to] Can't Post

My bovril tablets are for good teeth and bones... another type that also smells of bovril helps the coat. (got Vit B in them)

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 4, 2003, 11:02 AM

Post #6 of 18 (4706 views)
Shortcut

I use to buy those bone shape looking from Pedigree... something to let my dog bite and chew, and eventually eat up.. supposedly good to clean thier teeth and gums.. are we talking about the same thing?Wink

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 4, 2003, 11:12 AM

Post #7 of 18 (4705 views)
Shortcut

no, the tablets that smell of bovril arent bones, they are tablets... the dogs seem to like them and eat them like tasty sweets.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 4, 2003, 11:25 AM

Post #8 of 18 (4704 views)
Shortcut

oohh.. silly me.. mind telling me what's the name of the tablets.. if it helps in thier coates, i should get as well for my silky... :)

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Jan 4, 2003, 5:39 PM

Post #9 of 18 (4701 views)
Shortcut

Hi everyone..I've got a 2 month old Shih Tzu X.The bovril smelling drops I'm giving Bubbles is a vitamin supplement with liver and iron. It's called Hi-Vite Drops. Poor Bubbles this morning all that icky stuff was all around her eyes....I bought her the "tear-drop" cleaner...smells like plain old water to me..and doesn't seem to be much help.but the stuff around has gotten hard and sticks to her fur just below her eyes.She really does look scruffy!! Bubbles has a cold now.She's coughing...so, I will have to hold on the baths. I will just wipe her down...and try to clean her face as suggested. Lets all hope, I'll still have my fingers the next time I post a message here!!Unsure

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 4, 2003, 7:17 PM

Post #10 of 18 (4699 views)
Shortcut

One is a Seven Seas brand, it is available in most pet shops... cant remember exact name as i dont have bottle her with me, but it has "TEETH & BONES" on the front.

The Other is Vitamin B and something else, which is menat for good coats, health etc.

Specifically for coats, there is yet another supplement (this one comes in liquid form) and I use that on Juno, my mum's cocker, coz she lost a lot of coat when she had her puppies.

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 5, 2003, 10:29 PM

Post #11 of 18 (4693 views)
Shortcut

perhaps you would like to try using wet cotton and damp it around your dog's eye area...leave it for a minute then use a gentle tissue or hanky to wipe it off, it would be much more easier..if the face gets to wet.. and your dog is sick, maybe you can use hair dryer to quicky dry them up :)

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 5, 2003, 10:32 PM

Post #12 of 18 (4692 views)
Shortcut

thanks for the info, i'll drop by one of the petshop soon. Funny thing, my silky seems to lost her coat only on both her hind legs.... any idea why this happens?

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 6, 2003, 8:18 AM

Post #13 of 18 (4689 views)
Shortcut

Was that after her birth? Dunno... Juno lost a lot of her feathering, esp. on her tummy. They say it is because it gets in the way of pups drinking milk, so by nature, they lose the fur there. But after the birth and nursing period, she started to grow it back, but

1) it grew back curly
2) she grew whiskers!

But she is still very beautiful though!

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 6, 2003, 4:25 PM

Post #14 of 18 (4686 views)
Shortcut

hhmmpphh.. no, my pup is still to young to have any puppies of her own.. i think this could be one of the season as perhaps she's growing another coat.. i think...

say, do you have any concern in putting more weight for your dog?

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 7, 2003, 9:30 AM

Post #15 of 18 (4671 views)
Shortcut

well we didnt have any concerns until we heard one of brinkley's sisters is (at 3 and a half months) half the size of a full grown golden retriever! coz brinkley is nowhere near that big... but we havent seen her sister for ourselves. According to our vet who weighed her again today, she is putting on weight at a good rate, so i think it will be all ok. my hubby says we should enjoy her while she is puppy-sized, coz when she grows up we'll be missing that puppy we had!

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 7, 2003, 9:40 AM

Post #16 of 18 (4670 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for your advise! but is there any advise you can provide in order for jaz to put on more weght? perhaps eating cheese? is that recommended?

luckey
ALPHA

Jan 7, 2003, 9:49 AM

Post #17 of 18 (4669 views)
Shortcut

we use cheese as treats sometimes for training, but i dont think it is recommended as part of a staple diet.

if your dog is "thin" you should maybe check for worms. They need dewormign every 3 months, could be a reason for nto putting on weight.

OUr dogs are not thin, but someimtes we just want them to grow big faster! Wink hehe. Kiasu!

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 7, 2003, 8:35 PM

Post #18 of 18 (4659 views)
Shortcut

that's what we feed her now, cheese and hardboil egg :) and also her dog food.. we use to feed her with dog canned food, but it always gets really messy as she has long coat... I did feed her with the deworm tablet once, but seeing that she doesn't goes out much as we live in an apartment, I do not feed consistantly with the tablet... Pirate

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my