Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
"OUCH" No Bite!!

bosco
Novice

Jan 2, 2003, 6:36 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1268 views)
Shortcut
"OUCH" No Bite!! Can't Post

Hi everyone!! We have a 8 week old GSD,,"BOSCO"...

bosco has been with us for a week now,,he seem to be at that stage where he is now comfortable in our house!!

we already notice a change in his attitude!! not that it's a bad thing....

he is however nipping and bitting US more,,even when we offer him one of his toys,,,we tell him the NO BITE command and ww will also give out a sharp yelp like they suggest,,but he seem to be more stubborn...if it get out of control we put him in his crate before we loose our temper with him...

our fear is that he is doing this out of dominance instead of just for playing......

Does anyone have opinions or similar problem??

Thanx

Bosco's DAD

ginl
ALPHA

Jan 2, 2003, 8:49 AM

Post #2 of 3 (1265 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bosco] "OUCH" No Bite!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Bosco,

My JRT used to be a first class nipper too when he was a puppy...i don't think it's due to dominance...puppies this age will nip and bite as a mean to explore their surounding....I've also tried all the methods you mentioned above and at that time it seemed as if it was useless coz no matter how much i said no and yelp out loudly, i didn't get any reaction frm him to stop...but the amazing thing is if you are consistent enough with your corrections they will eventually get it...as my dog grew older and before i realised it he actually knows how to stop whenever i yelp out now when i'm playing with him and he gets too rough....i think a lot of us expect these things to happen overnight...it's not going to...the key is consistency and your dog will eventually get what u mean in the long run....so be patient coz puppies will be puppies Tongue

bosco
Novice

Jan 3, 2003, 11:05 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1244 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] "OUCH" No Bite!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink Thanks for your reply, I was worried at first thinking I was doing some kind of wrong discipline Madi.e. not saying no harsh enough or so be it, but the last two days have been much betterSmile. I have narrowed my commands and expectations. If he bites our clothes, we say "no bite and instantly replace with a toy his bear same texture as our clothes. When he bites our hand or arm we yelpShocked, and walk away like his mom would do, so he learns bite inhibition. Big improvement so far so I can only anticipate that it will get even betterUnsure. If he decides he wants to play with my arm even after i.e. chases me I put him on his back and say calm while I rub his belly, within two minutes he settles for his bear.Cool

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my