Hello, Min Pin owner added here

tlay
New User

Dec 24, 2002, 6:44 PM

Post #1 of 7 (701 views)
Shortcut
Hello, Min Pin owner added here Can't Post

Hi,

My name is Tony and I'm currently living on Gulf Coast Mississippi with my Min Pin, Mac. He will eternally be a puppy, and I need some help keeping him in line at times. He may be 4 years old but apparently he is used to getting his way.

Got him from the pound about a year and a half ago and we have reinforced basic tasks. He can sit, stay, shake, go down, half way walk (or beg on back feet) and is pretty good at reading body language. A few things that I want to do though would teach him how to play fetch and I think maybe someday the old dog might be able to do a backflip if we work at it.

Don't know why but he was at the pound here, thier loss and my gain I guess.

At any rate just wanted to introduce us, and I'll probably post and troll through articles for a little bit.

-Tony
Attachments: macattack.jpg (57.0 KB)

wkser
ALPHA

Dec 24, 2002, 6:54 PM

Post #2 of 7 (699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tlay] Hello, Min Pin owner added here [In reply to] Can't Post

hi tony,

welcome to the forum.............SmileWink

regards
kangser and nous

cyphang
Canine Addict

Dec 24, 2002, 7:12 PM

Post #3 of 7 (697 views)
Shortcut

Welcome on board Tony. I own a shih tzu puppy and I know how difficult it is for some breeds to be trained to do something that is not in their nature and instincts. For example, shih tzus will not automatically fetch back something unlike a lab or golden retriever. I have to repeat at least 30 times in one session to teach Sunnie to fetch back her rubber boomberang for me.

What I did was I showed the boomerang to her and let her eyes follow the movement of the boomerang.
Then I will throw the boomberang (start with a short distance) and point my finger towards it and say "fetch". She would sometimes (not all the time) run to the boomerang but she will only bite it and won't come back to me. Once a while she will bite the boomberang and bring it somewhere else or back to me...WHenever she brings it back to me i will give her her favorite treat (banana of 0.5 cm).

She learned from there and within two days she could do it quite well. SOmetimes she still get distracted but I make sure I repeat the fetch game for like at least 20 times in each session so she is more consistent. And whenever she comes back with the boomberang I will say "Good girl !!!!" and she will sit and look at me to wait for my treat...so cute !!!! If she doesn't do it correctly, (eg. leave the boomberang half way or doesn't sit when she comes back to me) she will not get her treat.

Just wanted to share my experience of how I trained Sunnie to fetch...

Hope your Mac will learn it quick too...its fun !
With warm regards,
CY Phang

Mummy of Sunnie, the happy, cheeky and naughty female shih tzu pup

drew
ALPHA

Dec 24, 2002, 8:54 PM

Post #4 of 7 (690 views)
Shortcut

hey there,

welcome welcome ...

good luck in your training ~!

take care and stay CooL~!

lulugurl
ALPHA

Dec 24, 2002, 9:30 PM

Post #5 of 7 (688 views)
Shortcut

helo~!

welcome~!Smile i own a silky terrier and she also knows how to do some trick such as jump thru hoops and stuff like that LaughTongue
Laugh~Cherio~ Laugh
Penang Lang? Click Here~!
Silkies Owner? Click Here~!

tlay
New User

Dec 25, 2002, 11:12 AM

Post #6 of 7 (682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cyphang] Hello, Min Pin owner added here [In reply to] Can't Post

You hit the nail on the head my friend. Mac will run and poke the toy and then run back to me. He does sometimes bring it back but that's about 1 in 5 times. I have found that he likes bananas and grapes and he tries pretty hard when we are training to get approval. There are times though where he gets too tied up in getting food and just starts pawing at my leg and it gets kind of annoying. I try to ignore him and go back 5 minutes later if I have the time to and that seems to work. At any rate I always just chucked the toy across the room...didn't think of baby steps throwing it. I appreciate the help!

Happy Holidays,

-Tony

cyphang
Canine Addict

Dec 25, 2002, 6:20 PM

Post #7 of 7 (677 views)
Shortcut

She will sometimes paw at me too, but I won't give the treat to her unless she fetches the boomberang back to me. And when she does it right, I will say "Good girl!" and then "Sit" and then "Paw" before I give her the treat. She still needs a lot more practise to get it right every time.
With warm regards,
CY Phang

Mummy of Sunnie, the happy, cheeky and naughty female shih tzu pup

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my