First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

junkgirl
Dog Kichi

Apr 19, 2004, 7:41 PM

Post #1 of 49 (4626 views)
Shortcut
MS Maintenance Can't Post

Hi all,

I am very interested in owing a MS but I was wondering if MS requires a lot of maintenance on their coat? I m not showing so if i leave the coat as is and just give it some brushing, will that will alrite? Also, smaller breeds generally bark a lot. Are MS yappy because i m afraid neighbours might complain. Does any one have any major problems with MS?
JunkGirl
- Dogs R For Life -

shervin

Apr 20, 2004, 7:53 AM

Post #2 of 49 (4621 views)
Shortcut
Re: [junkgirl] MS Maintenance [In reply to] Can't Post

Winkhihi,

I just own a MS half year a go but i have some experience hope can share with uSmile...

MS doesnt needs a lot of maintenance but u need to brush their fur everyday and bath them every week...besides that, u need to groom them every 1-2 months. u can groom them urself if u got time but must be careful la...heheheTongue...i used to groom mine MS myself tooWink...the full grooming fees is around rm 50-60.

MS will not bark a lot, he will only bark when he saw stranger or someone he dunno...and he is very loyal and high obedient to the owner...

MS will be very naughty and playful sometimes but at the same times he like kids too much...everytime when my cousin brings her baby to my house my MS will become very excited and run and jump all the way to play with the baby...

hope u will enjoy with MS

shervinSmile

xyne
Doggyman

Apr 20, 2004, 11:48 PM

Post #3 of 49 (4618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shervin] MS Maintenance [In reply to] Can't Post

hi shervin.. i have a 3 yr ol MS too.. but since u said fuul grooming for only 50-60???!!! Where??? cos the places i go they charge me min oredi 75!!...

xyne
Doggyman

Apr 21, 2004, 12:03 AM

Post #4 of 49 (4617 views)
Shortcut

hi junkgirl.. still havent got a furkid?? hehehe...

ok.. have a look at this site's description.. i think it pretty much says it for my MS.. heheh
www.dogbreedinfo.com/miniatureschnauzer.htm

in general, i guess smaller breeds do bark more.. MS's are very alert and will probably keep barking their heads off until they feel it is safe.. ...
but other than tat, they dont simply bark for no reason.. and r really manja and learns quickly.

Re grooming.. .. yes, you will need to send the MS to a groomer to get their ear's plucked, trimmed n etc.. and will need their weekly bath, daily brushing for nicer coat, just as with any other dogs.. but one good thing is MS dont shed much..so it's a great indoor pet.

I will suggest u get a MS from a reputable breeder should you decide to get one.. and make sure the parents are healthy and have good temperaments.. so u will know also know how your pups will turn out when they r adults.. cos when u get it fr pet shops, all u see is cute.. but we never know if anything else is wrong..

good luck! Smile

de_jun
Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2004, 2:58 AM

Post #5 of 49 (4616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] MS Maintenance [In reply to] Can't Post

hi junkgirl

i dont own a MS but i agree with xyne about choosing the right dog from the right breeder...

Nowadays puppy mills are all over the place, u must becareful not to fall into the miller's trap.

Good Luck to you

Wanna to be a member of Poodles' Friendly Gang? Pls click here !
Poodles' Friendly Gang List
Daisy and PhoebeSmile

shervin

Apr 21, 2004, 6:56 AM

Post #6 of 49 (4614 views)
Shortcut

hihiWink,

the petshop is in PJ section14...the pet shop name is MY PET SHOP...if u be the member u will get another 10% discount...oh ya..the membership is freeWink Beside tat when u also got 10% discount when u purchase there...

the pet shop is near Jaya Shopping Centre..do u know there? where do u stay?

shervinSmile

arthur
ALPHA

Apr 21, 2004, 7:48 AM

Post #7 of 49 (4612 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi all,

I am very interested in owing a MS but I was wondering if MS requires a lot of maintenance on their coat? I m not showing so if i leave the coat as is and just give it some brushing, will that will alrite? Also, smaller breeds generally bark a lot. Are MS yappy because i m afraid neighbours might complain. Does any one have any major problems with MS?

Hi JunkGirl,

Good of you to do some research on the breed of your choice before jumping in. The helpful forum members have responded to your query. I would like to add my comments:

1. MS is one of the most visually striking breeds around (to my biased view of courseSmile!) However, to maintain this look does require some grooming needs. Since you are not going to show the dog, then a pet grooming style would be perfect. It is much easier on the dog as it only involves clippering the coat. Under the hands of a good schnauzer groomer, the pet look will retain much of the beauty of the show dog look with their hand plucked coats.

2. Having said that, a pet MS style can last between 4-6 weeks depending on how fast the coat grows. Some can stretch up to 8 weeks before turning into a teddy bear look! Wink Market rate for a MS pet grooming can vary between RM60-90. You must choose a good groomer for your Schnauzer as I have seen many mistakes that turn a MS into a Cocker Spainel side fringe with panda eyes!Crazy

3. In between grooming visits, a daily brushing with a slicker brush, especially for the leg furnishings and beard is ideal. Or else, you can do the brushing every alternate day. However, a wipe of their beards after meals is highly recommended to keep it clean and stain free.

4. MS are great in the sense that they normally do not have that strong doggy odour nor do they shed a lot. In fact, poodles and MS are among the handfull of breeds that don't shed their coat a lot. Great for people who like tidy houses and furniture!

5. MS are great alarm dogs. Meaning, they will bark when they sense strangers at the door or other animals (eg. other dogs or cats, squirrels etc) However, you can train them to pipedown once you are alerted to the intruders. Unless they are bored or suffering from separation anxiety, most MS are pretty well behaved lot. However, do expect a few minutes of excited barking everytime you come back to the house. They are very social creatures and will welcome you back like crazy upon your return!Smile

6. Major problem with MS is to control their diet. They are greedy doggies and are always hungry! Smile Just make sure they don't put on weight from over eating! However, this trait also makes it easy to train them for tricks or obedience training. Coupled with their natural intellgience, they make excellent students for obedience training. Come over to the Padang Merbuk every Sun evening from 4-6pm to see the MS in action!

Waah..so long winded. Anyway, hope this would help to answer your queries.

Rdgs Arthur

junkgirl
Dog Kichi

Apr 21, 2004, 3:13 PM

Post #8 of 49 (4609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] MS Maintenance [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Arthur. Great to get some tips from the "Si-fu" of MS Wink (that's what everyone calls u rite?). I've been reading the forum and u own 3 MS if i m rite? Wow, u must be very occupied with them. Yes, ,i agree that MS r 1 of the most unique breeds in its appearance. I always think it looks like "old man" - "old man dog" Tongue.
JunkGirl
- Dogs R For Life -

junkgirl
Dog Kichi

Apr 21, 2004, 3:16 PM

Post #9 of 49 (4608 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the tips, Xyne.

Ya..i haven't got a dog yet. Been busy with moving house. How is ur MS going? How many dogs do u own now?
JunkGirl
- Dogs R For Life -

xyne
Doggyman

Apr 21, 2004, 5:47 PM

Post #10 of 49 (4607 views)
Shortcut

i stay around tat corner! is it the pet shop at the corner?? facing the main road wan??? cos thats where i go!!!MadMadMad... and they do give ne a membership n 15%....hmmm....was it a full grooming service for tat price??

actually earlier on i sent pops there n they did a bad job with his cut.. then i tried another groomer at atria.. he used really nice shampoos..heard fr arthur to try the shop in ss2..cos he says very ptrofessional... i have yet to try.. but so far.. all of them charge me at 75 leh.. so i thot it was standard.. but u got 50-60 wor.. tats quite a good deal leh....

xyne
Doggyman

Apr 21, 2004, 5:53 PM

Post #11 of 49 (4606 views)
Shortcut

hi there.. moving house ah?? where r u staying now??

now i have 3 dogs still lor.. but only 1 MS.. another is GR n 1 boxer... i can tell you..of the three lot, popeye is the easiest to handle n most obedient, albeit the constant brushing n grooming.... otherwise.. the MS is really wonderful..relatively to teach once you understand how he behaves and all...

like arthur suggests, why dont you come over on sundays to meet the MS?? then you can get more tips from arthur the sifu.. heeheeee.... Tongue

xyne
Doggyman

Apr 21, 2004, 6:00 PM

Post #12 of 49 (4605 views)
Shortcut

hi arthur... ask u hor.. last sunday got class onot?? how many have we had so far ha?? it keeps raining i oso lost trackCrazyCrazyCrazy

i wanna ask u oso.. are your furkids on barf or kibbles?? cos pops isnt loosing weight leh.. he still looks like a round teddy bear...Unsure the amt i cut ah.. i feel so bad la.. cos he looks like he is starving all the time like tat... he's on canidae at the moment...thinking of starting barf....

also do you brush their teeth ah?? or send them to the vet? pop's dentures have sorta turned bad.. vet says it could be cos of reaction to medication while he was a pup MadMadMad or my mom who gave him jelly beans at one time...PiratePirate...

xyne
Doggyman

Apr 21, 2004, 6:02 PM

Post #13 of 49 (4604 views)
Shortcut
Re: [de_jun] MS Maintenance [In reply to] Can't Post

hi dejun...

glad to know u agree too on puppy mills.. hehee.. how old is your poodle?? i met a really sweet poodle at KK once.. and i am soo surprised by their temperament.. so welcoming n so sweet leh... but so farm havent seen any poodles tat grooms that 'ala french' style here tho.. u know the bola bola type??

de_jun
Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2004, 12:22 AM

Post #14 of 49 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Hi xyne,

i really hate the millers, they are so irresponsible...hmmm i had a bad experience with them, long story.....

well daisy is just 5 months old, turning 6 very soon, but her coat is not thick enuf, so cant have the 'ala french' style....

mayb next time when she change her coat again i can try the ala french style :)....but personally i dont quite like that style lor...looks very weird to me :P

Wanna to be a member of Poodles' Friendly Gang? Pls click here !
Poodles' Friendly Gang List
Daisy and PhoebeSmile

xyne
Doggyman

Apr 22, 2004, 12:28 AM

Post #15 of 49 (4598 views)
Shortcut
Re: [de_jun] MS Maintenance [In reply to] Can't Post

oooh.. still a little puppy... soo cute.. take lots of pics ya..
i think i'm going out of the topic again.. so paiseh...Tongue

ya.. i do think the bola bola style is abit overdone.. but i do think it is kinda cute.. at least try once lor.. Tongue

arthur
ALPHA

Apr 22, 2004, 2:57 AM

Post #16 of 49 (4595 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks Arthur. Great to get some tips from the "Si-fu" of MS Wink (that's what everyone calls u rite?). I've been reading the forum and u own 3 MS if i m rite? Wow, u must be very occupied with them. Yes, ,i agree that MS r 1 of the most unique breeds in its appearance. I always think it looks like "old man" - "old man dog" Tongue.

Hi Junkgirl,

Plse don't label me "Si-Fu". I'm no-where near that level yet. Just a simple guy who is schnauzer crazy! Smile

As for our MS, yes, most folks call them "Ah Pek" gau! Cos' of their trade mark eyebrows and beard. Of the 3 recognised colours, the black and silver is the most attractive..(to meTongue)

Currently I have 3 MS plus a 6 mth puppy. They do keep me occupied but that is nothing compared to the joy and pleasure of their company, antics and loyalty they so unselfishly give everyday.

BTW..err..is there another name I can call u instead of junkgirl? Seems a bit rude for me to address a girl in that manner. Call me old fashion lah!Sly

Rdgs Arthur

arthur
ALPHA

Apr 22, 2004, 3:07 AM

Post #17 of 49 (4594 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
hi arthur... ask u hor.. last sunday got class onot?? how many have we had so far ha?? it keeps raining i oso lost trackCrazyCrazyCrazy

i wanna ask u oso.. are your furkids on barf or kibbles?? cos pops isnt loosing weight leh.. he still looks like a round teddy bear...Unsure the amt i cut ah.. i feel so bad la.. cos he looks like he is starving all the time like tat... he's on canidae at the moment...thinking of starting barf....

also do you brush their teeth ah?? or send them to the vet? pop's dentures have sorta turned bad.. vet says it could be cos of reaction to medication while he was a pup MadMadMad or my mom who gave him jelly beans at one time...PiratePirate...

Hi Xyne!

U have been a bad girl! There was a class last Sunday and Popeye wasnt there!Mad We practised the figure of 8 heelwork. Better do that for this coming Sunday. If you are not sure, do give Maggie a call on her handphone to confirm. So far, you have missed 2 lessons already lor! Come lah this Sunday evening..Smile

As for barf, am not on that diet yet.. Don't worry about Popeye being hungry. MS are always hungry all the time!Wink Just cut back a bit on his food and strictly excessive treats plus a 30min walk walk everyday should trim him down a bit. Do weigh him now and then. Plus you do a quick check by the feeling his ribs.

Dental hygiene is important. I do brush them at least once a week. Better if every alternate day. What's wrong with Popeye's teeth?

Rdgs Arthur

junkgirl
Dog Kichi

Apr 22, 2004, 3:36 PM

Post #18 of 49 (4591 views)
Shortcut

Hi Arthur,

My name is Linda, Junkgirl is the nic i use on the net. So u have 3 MS and another puppy. Is the puppy another MS? Smile. Do u groom them urself or send them to grooming?
JunkGirl
- Dogs R For Life -

xyne
Doggyman

Apr 22, 2004, 5:37 PM

Post #19 of 49 (4589 views)
Shortcut

eh?? isit?? i was kinda wondering cos i got maggie's sms tat class was cancelled a few times...li ping said we've had abt 3-4 classes so far?? oohh noooShockedShockedShocked ... yes.. this sunday is a must!!!!!

i guess i must give him more than 30mins of walk or run..heheee.. havent given him treats lor.. if i do, i give carrot.. so less fattening kua.
his tummy area is still looking like a barrel, and i feel his skin isnt as elastic ..ribs.. still the same la...
his teeth ah.. like little boy's teeth rotten a bit lor.. this sunday i show u.. they are not very comfortable with brushing lor.. keep wanting to bite the toothbrush...CrazyCrazy

i'll c u this sunday.. hopefully it doesnt rain cats n dogs again...Smile

elizatye
K9 Senior

Apr 22, 2004, 6:52 PM

Post #20 of 49 (4588 views)
Shortcut

Hi, Arthur,

However, a wipe of their beards after meals is highly recommended to keep it clean and stain free.

Since I feed Yippi with homemade for his dinner, his beard became brown color Frown, or what some people call that red beard. Do you have idea why and how to clean it in this case ??

However, do expect a few minutes of excited barking everytime you come back to the house. They are very social creatures and will welcome you back like crazy upon your return!Smile

Totally agree Sly ! even sometime I am just leave the house for a few minutes, for example just go to down stairs to throw the rubbish, he will act like I already leave the house for a whole day ... SlySly

Smile Eliza

shervin

Apr 23, 2004, 7:52 AM

Post #21 of 49 (4579 views)
Shortcut

hihi,

where do u stay? i stay around there too...y i didnt meet u everytime when i walk my MS? I stay around corner too, but not facing the main road la..it is behind the main road...maybe one day we can meet and lets our MS be fren Blush...

But my MS look ok after everytime come back fr groomingUnsure..wat they done to ur pet? they usually charge me at rm50 Crazy...i cant go so far coz i got no transport so there is the only pet shop i can visit. But the staff there quite ok ma..isnt it? how frequent u will groom ur MS? somttimes i will groom him myself and only will send him for grooming every 2 months...

xyne
Doggyman

Apr 24, 2004, 12:35 AM

Post #22 of 49 (4572 views)
Shortcut

hahaha.. u oso like me..send them there about 2 months or so.. other times i oso cut cut myself...expensive lor.. if send all the time.. lagi mahal from my haircut...i stay near sec 17 side.. u??

i think the groomer is new one leh.. cos the last time i sent him there he looked better than my first visit with them... Smile

ok.. 50 bucks ha.. full service? plus clipping, all the works??? i go n bamboo them...CrazyCrazyCrazyhow old is your MS??? male or female?? mine is male, 3 yrs next week...Cool

arthur
ALPHA

Apr 24, 2004, 4:56 AM

Post #23 of 49 (4570 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
My name is Linda, Junkgirl is the nic i use on the net. So u have 3 MS and another puppy. Is the puppy another MS? Smile. Do u groom them urself or send them to grooming?

Hi Linda aka Junkgirl!,

Yes, the puppy is the 1st born of our 1st litter delivered last Oct2003. She has grown up to be a naughty little girl. Her name's Phoenix but we also call her Nixie for short. Also she has the title of S.R.S (Spoilt Rotten Schnauzer!Cool)

We groom them ourselves to pick up the skill plus the satisfaction of doing a good job. Still learning as there's always so much to gather as we go along..

Rdgs Arthur

shervin

Apr 25, 2004, 8:12 AM

Post #24 of 49 (4564 views)
Shortcut

i stay in sec 14/20...same row with the mosque...do u know the mosque at sec 14? very near to the pet shop...Wink

maybe like wat u said lo...the groomer is the new one...i had visit them a lot of time but i still dunno who is the groomer Blush...hehehe

ya..50 bucks for full grooming...all the works of course...Wink

mine MS called stitch..is a male too, 1 yr on next week (1 may)...he is a very lazy guy...dun like to excercise, juz like to eat and sleep..maube he born on labour day so no need to workout...Tongue

xyne
Doggyman

Apr 26, 2004, 10:59 PM

Post #25 of 49 (4553 views)
Shortcut

eeii... next time we can meet also la.. maybe at a field near your place n mine...

oh... ur MS is how old ah?? cos i called them and they told me standard price for adult MS is 80 la.. disc oso 70 ony lor... they said if puppy maybe 50.. is that the case??? if not ah.. next time u go for grooming tell me.. i go with u ....

so cute.. stitch!!.. i like tat name la.. your avatar is is shih-tzu bat man isit?? is tat your dog too? ohh.. my dog is quite hyper..but too much of exercise oso he get lazy wan.. but very wai-sek.. tats why abit chubby lor.. some more now with all the fur..like teddy bear.. heheee ..

eh.. if stitch's b;day labour day means his bday soon lor.. heheee.. i'm taking him to meet some other dogs at subang... u wanna come?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my