Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Skin Conditions and Diseases:
Mange

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 29, 2004, 8:15 PM

Post #251 of 341 (17328 views)
Shortcut
Re: [j_ove2] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

so how is the furmaster getting on now?

shalom is also wearing an e-collar to stop her from scratching her infected part...and bravo...now it looks good. but don't take it off until you are absolutely sure that the master is completely healed.

j_ove2

Mar 29, 2004, 10:13 PM

Post #252 of 341 (17325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

hi,
shalom also suffers fr mange? mmm he's still itching. since the wound is at the neck, i refrain fr getting him a collar now. been applying the salt solution n a herbal cream 'Himax' on him. just changed his kibbles to California Natural Lamb n Rice. hope it does help. so, wat else have u been doing to help shalom heal faster? the pet shop suggested that i shave jerrie botak. but i hesitate.

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 30, 2004, 10:24 PM

Post #253 of 341 (17319 views)
Shortcut

the shave botak is a good idea...shalom's pic now is 4-5 weeks after been shaved pink like a pig!

grow very fast...so now worries. and easier to clean as well.

shalom was given a medicated wash (4 days once) seb0lyse. then with the help of the e-collar...bravo... it healed up nicely. she was also on a lot of omega, barf was 60% of her diet...and a lot of tlc. tlc because some dogs get mange due to stress triggering an attack...

j_ove2

Mar 30, 2004, 10:30 PM

Post #254 of 341 (17318 views)
Shortcut

hi,
so where did u go to get shalom shaved? now after switching the food, jerrie dun scratch as much. but i see more n more small small puss around. quite geli.
after shaving botak, isn't it easier for dogs to get other skin infections? i'm hesitating becos of this idea.

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

a_evie
Doggyman

Mar 31, 2004, 1:49 AM

Post #255 of 341 (17314 views)
Shortcut

her vet shaved her...and frankly shaving only makes cleaning and monitoring easier.

sometimes food causes allergy. so if you know what triggers the prob...try cutting out. for shalom, i know she is ok without beef.

but we're on barf 60% so its pretty easy for me, just grab mince chicken or lamb or fish plus veges and fruits. and when we are out, its either kibbles or we dash and get her some tuna or if she gets lucky...salmon.

j_ove2

Apr 6, 2004, 11:42 PM

Post #256 of 341 (17302 views)
Shortcut

hi hi,
jerrie's puss puss hilang liao... maybe becos of the lemon juice spray n also the Himax cream. now onli his muzzle area is red red n flaky. i was wondering if can onli shave the face.so that it's easier for me to put cream. how's shalom?

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

a_evie
Doggyman

Apr 8, 2004, 2:01 AM

Post #257 of 341 (17301 views)
Shortcut

hi...glad to hear that jerrie is doing well. yeah...they can shave the face too (only). but did you gie jerrie the e-collar? a correct size can stop jerrie from scratching the infected area.

as for shalom...she is doing great. her skin scraping came out clean. they explained that her red patches are probably because the skin is healing. more blood circulation there...

j_ove2

Apr 8, 2004, 5:08 PM

Post #258 of 341 (17299 views)
Shortcut

wow...so good to know that shalom has fully recovered. at least another success story...Wink
no i din give jerrie the e-collar, becos he doesn't scratch often anymore. i dun want to stress him more.. hehe. now, he's becoming naughtier... i think it's separation anxiety. often bark when i leave the house.

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

a_evie
Doggyman

Apr 8, 2004, 6:20 PM

Post #259 of 341 (17298 views)
Shortcut

aha...shalom does nto even realise her collar is there. to get her to wear it...she gets her vitamins (i call it treats). makan already, she would sit with her head up for me to put it on.

as for separation anxiety...don't fuss when you leave home. just say a simple bye...and calm urself down. remember that our furkids have this innate ability to sense how we feel.

so in shalom's case. i just say. bye...see ya later!

and when i get home...furby...mummy is home...

Riccaval
ALPHA

Apr 9, 2004, 12:25 AM

Post #260 of 341 (17294 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

sk........do u know where we can find Neem Oil?

Have you ever use it b4 in the treatment of mange?

ThanksSmile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 9, 2004, 3:35 AM

Post #261 of 341 (17290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Riccaval] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Sometime back ... I saw neem oil being sold in the pharmacy in Jalan 8 Sri Hartamas ... but not sure if they still have stock ...

Alternatively, try an Indian provision shop ... neem oil originates from India ... or try to a ayurvedic centre (I think there is one along Jalan Kemajuan in PJ ... ???) ...

Neem is supposed to have a whole range of properties including anti-fungal as well as acting like an insecticide ... but rather than kill, it repells ... and as such (I would suspect) its usefullness is more preventive than curative.

http://www.organix.net/organix/neem.htm

www.neemfoundation.org/thera.htm

Good luck ...

Will make some inquiries and see if I can locate.

Cheers Smile

Riccaval
ALPHA

Apr 9, 2004, 11:20 PM

Post #262 of 341 (17284 views)
Shortcut

thanks....
from what i read....it says kill

Neem Oil for Mange, Fleas and Ticks

Pure, unrefined Neem Oil from India (Azadirachta Indica). Miticide, insecticide, fungicide, nematacide, insect repellent. Known in India as "the village pharmacy" because of its many uses. Excellent external treatment for mange due to its ability to kill the mites that cause mange. Finally a safe, effective treatment for mange without resorting to harmful and expensive chemicals. Excellent for demodectic mange. Also kills fleas and ticks.

I think some shops in Little India or Bollywood should have them.

CheersSmile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 9, 2004, 11:40 PM

Post #263 of 341 (17281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Riccaval] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

... Ah so ... okay ... kills ... noted ... my error Smile ...

If you find - would appreciate if you let me know where ...

Thanks

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Apr 9, 2004, 11:44 PM)

j_ove2

Apr 12, 2004, 11:33 PM

Post #264 of 341 (17274 views)
Shortcut

hi hi..
now, me n my bf take turns to go out. pretend to go out one by one.. then jerrie will think that we're going to work.. Wink. then it's better.
now, he's taken up a new hobby. he keeps charging at the door stopper!.. he simply loves it. carries it with him whereever he goes. i'm just worried the rubber used for the door stopper will cause allergy. wat do u think?
as for the mange... fortunately, it's looking positive now.

Cheers!
jaclyn n jerrie

a_evie
Doggyman

Apr 13, 2004, 7:55 PM

Post #265 of 341 (17272 views)
Shortcut

if the stopper is cleaned from time to time oklar.

as for taking it along everywhere...its a hase thing. shalom tak hirau her kain busuk now. but rather she has found a new found ol faithful mashimaro. she does not like bunny, tigger or winnie so much now. just her mashimaro...and still her collar!

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 14, 2004, 12:35 AM

Post #266 of 341 (17265 views)
Shortcut

Hi SK

Took Sparkle for a check up today when Scruffy went for her booster jab. He does look better than the first visit but he's started to scratch his body and chew on his own tail so that's again a concern and he's put on antibiotics round #2.

*sigh* the doc was already suspicious when he found flaky 'dandruff' stuff from Sparkle on the examination table on the first visit but decided to KIV that first. Today he did a scotch tape test on his skin and he's pretty sure Sparkle has a concurrent skin problem along with mange. Sparkle also has Malassezia Dermatitis. PiratePirateFrownUnsure However he doesn't want to confirm that until he's had a better look...going to review him in a month's time.

Looks like Sparkle and I are fighting another battle...........not life threatening or anything but nevertheless it's another long long treatment. Sigh..

Any experience on Malassezia? Anyone else has similar experience? Frown

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 14, 2004, 1:21 AM

Post #267 of 341 (17261 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cshellz] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Malassesia is a yeast infection ... which can be secondary or primary ... depends.

" ... Malassezia pachydermatitis is a common yeast organism that is found on normal and abnormal canine skin and ears. On normal healthy skin it causes no problems, but when the environment of the skin is altered for any one of many reasons, Malassezia can cause severe dermatitis or otitis (inflammation of the skin or ears respectively). Some of the factors that can lead to Malassezia dermatitis include moisture (as in dogs with skin folds or floppy ears with narrow ear canals), excessive waxy or scaly build-up (as in seborrhea), and allergic and bacterial skin disease. Not only is Malassezia a secondary cause of dermatitis in any dog with one of these predisposing conditions, but it may be the primary or initiating cause of skin problems in certain breeds of dogs. This may be related to an alteration in immune response to the yeast ..."

Having concurrent skin condition can complicate matters but ... it is not by any means so unusual. And as one cause is being treated, the dog's own system can start to handle the secondary infection also ... Our Beagle also had Malassezia, which cleared up once the Dermo was sorted out.

Often yeast infection is accompanied with bacterial infection, hence the need to prescribe antibiotics. Quite often, removal of the bacterial infection also removes the yeast infection.

Did the vet prescribe any treatment for the Malassezia other than the antibiotics? ... Recommend any particular shampoo?

The following sites will give an overview of yeast infection:

http://www.vetinfo.com/dyeast.html

http://www.google.com.my/...p;hl=en&ie=UTF-8

All the best Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Apr 14, 2004, 1:24 AM)

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 14, 2004, 9:12 AM

Post #268 of 341 (17257 views)
Shortcut

Hi SK,

Thanks...read thru both the links. Did some research on my own on other websites too. *phew* Doesn't sound like something Sparkle and I can't overcome, luckily...but still, poor fella...something else to deal with now.

Guess for now I can only continue with the antibiotics and oral Ivermectin as prescribed and meanwhile increase his bathing sessions to twice a week. I've been using the Benzoyl Peroxide shampoo prescribed by the vet for Sparkle but it says in the article that Benzoyl Peroxide should be used when seborrhea oleosa (greasy dander) is present. And if mild to moderate seborrhea sicca (dry, flaky dander) is present, anti seborrheic agents such as sulphur, salicylic acid and selenium sulfide should be used. Sparkle has the dry flaky symptoms....so should I look for a shampoo with the anti seborrheic agents? Any shampoo recommendations? What about Malaseb? And no, vet did not suggest a new shampoo this time.

White vinegar and water for a rinse...in your opinion can that be replaced with ACV?

Well, doc is still reluctant to confirm if it's REALLY Malassezia...but after reading all the websites it does seem like that's exactly what Sparkle is also suffering from. No wonder he's still itchy...and I guess that explains the patch on his body that he scratched with his hind legs and the chewing of his tail. He wasn't itchy when he had his first round of Mange. And it also explains the secondary bacteria infection that recently just cleared up thanks to the antibiotics.

His fur is sprouting from here and there...and I'd say it's a very positive change for him. Smile Hopefully with just a little more adjustments with the topical treatment he can recover from both Mange & Malassezia.

Just out of curiosity...should the vet ever prescribe a dip for the Mange, u think that'll help with the yeast infection too?

Wah...glad ur Beagle recovered from both dermo & malassezia. Can't wait to announce a healthy and recovered Sparkle..hehe... Hopefully that visit to 'exchange some mites' is soon cause that'll mean good news for Sparkle and I Wink mild to moderate seborrhea sicca (dry, flaky dander) is present, use antiseborrheic agents, such as sulfur dander) is present, use degreasing antiseborrheic agents. Benzoyl mild to moderate seborrhea sicca (dry, flaky dander) is present, use antiseborrheic agents, such as sulfur dander) is present, use degreasing antiseborrheic agents. Benzoyl

cshellz
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 14, 2004, 4:19 PM

Post #269 of 341 (17253 views)
Shortcut

eh? where did the las part come from??? CrazyCrazy looks like a cut & paste Tongue

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 14, 2004, 11:45 PM

Post #270 of 341 (17247 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Sites of interest:

www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/dt110.html

www.drjwv.com/faq/?view=32

Perhaps not to do anything without first informing the vet ... I think the vet is trying the antibiotics to see if that (by itself) will help clear the issue of malassezia ... It could also be that the vet does not want to subject Sparkle to any further or other treatment all at one time ... We also need to avoid cross treatment that conflicts with each other.

That said ... I think a good shampoo will assist ... I would actually suggest Episoothe or Sebolux (by Virbac) ... less stringent than Malaseb ... and I like the fact that Virbac produces a range of shampoos from very mild graduating to stronger shampoos ... That gives us a choice of using the mildest possible but effective shampoo ... Both are available locally - the pet shop next to KFC in Taman Tun.

www.entirelypets.com/entirelypets/epmedsham8oz.html

www.healthypets.com/sebmedsham8o.html

But do call and check with the vet ... and tell him what you intend to do and listen to what he has to say ...

In the meantime, let me hit the research and see what homeopathic alternatives there may be.

Cheers Smile

PS ... as best I know ... the dip for mange will not remove fungal/yeast infection (ask vet is best) ... save that by removing the mites, it helps the dog's general immunity and increases resistence to other infection ...

May
Old Hand

Apr 14, 2004, 11:52 PM

Post #271 of 341 (17246 views)
Shortcut

Just wonder whether Neem oil suitable to be used on a 6 weeks old puppy. My puppy has ticks and probably fleas on its body and the vet said he's too young for any medical treatment.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 15, 2004, 12:13 AM

Post #272 of 341 (17245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May, Riccaval] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah ... just had discussion with Riccaval (forum member) on Neem Oil not to long ago ...

From what I know ... Neem Oil will help with repelling and killing parasites such as fleas and (hopefully) ticks too ... And should be safe even for young pups ...

Cautions: (a) If you are using concentrated Neem Oil ... you might want to check the internet for the correct way to dilute the oil before application ... Just type "Neem Oil" into google and read all you can ... (b) There is Neem Soap available on the market, but these will be formulated for human skin (with different pH) and may not be so suitable for dogs ...

I remember seeing dog shampoos that contain Neem Oil somewhere ... but I forget where (sorry).

Cheers Smile

PS ... Do check with Riccaval for more thoughts ...

May
Old Hand

Apr 15, 2004, 12:25 AM

Post #273 of 341 (17243 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for your thought. I suspected I had tick or flea bite on my hand after touching the puppy and it's itchy and swollen now Frown. Got to get rid of the problem fast Mad.

Hope Riccaval will be able to give some input on Neem oil.

Riccaval
ALPHA

Apr 15, 2004, 12:55 AM

Post #274 of 341 (17240 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May,surchimy] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

yes there is a shampoo with Neem Oil extract....its marketed by Sdn.Bhd...forgotten the name....will check it up.
As for the original one from India...still looking for itTongue
Cheers

(This post was edited by Riccaval on Apr 15, 2004, 1:00 AM)

Riccaval
ALPHA

Apr 15, 2004, 5:38 AM

Post #275 of 341 (17234 views)
Shortcut
Re: [May,Surchimy] Mange [In reply to] Can't Post

Found!!...the name of the shampoo is 'St Francis Natural Pet Care - shampoo with Tea Tree,Eucalyptus & Neem Oil'. Should be able to find in most pet shops.

As for the pure Neem Oil.....i think i found it...will let u know the name of the shop in Klang once confirm.

You can also get it online from US from one of the herbal/homoepathic co......but thats only if really necessary.Unsure

CheersSmile

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my