Various type of service dogs

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

whity_rabirabit
Canine Addict

Aug 10, 2004, 7:24 AM

Post #51 of 58 (29089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] Various type of service dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Yo! Count me in, if you guys are doing something about the Service Dogs! Woohoo! I'm very interested! Laugh

xyne
Doggyman

Aug 11, 2004, 12:36 AM

Post #52 of 58 (29072 views)
Shortcut
Re: [whity_rabirabit] Various type of service dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

hmmm... dunno where our hunter went d... so far no news yet wor... if u know of any place where we can bring our furkid to make someone happy.. let us know too ya Wink

whity_rabirabit
Canine Addict

Aug 11, 2004, 2:54 AM

Post #53 of 58 (29067 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] Various type of service dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure! I can't wait fo rthe event! Laugh

russellc
Novice

Oct 3, 2004, 6:09 PM

Post #54 of 58 (27705 views)
Shortcut
Russell say Hi [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileNew same mind schH supporter

Winkname :russell

Tonguelocation: USJ subang

Coollooking: to join any schH club

CrazyBreed: gsd

Slyhp: 0123939 019

AWDmag
New User

Dec 9, 2004, 9:29 AM

Post #55 of 58 (27284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Various type of service dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

I am looking for contact details for any Malaysian K9 or Working Dog Units.

Our new magazine, Australasian Working Dog, is being launched in late January 2005 and it's focus is "Working Dogs for our Community" including Military, Police, Corrective Services, Security, Search & Rescue, Herding, Assistance & Working Sport Dogs.

I would appreciate any contacts that could help with articles/profiles on these units in Malaysia or surrounding regions.

Evan Turner
Editor
Australasian Working Dog magazine
"Working Dogs for our Community"
www.ntsoftware.com.au/awd/

hybridtheory
Novice

Jan 3, 2005, 7:54 PM

Post #56 of 58 (27115 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi All,

Anyone out there mind to share their knowledge regarding service dogs over here ?

1. What are the diff in drives, type, attitute for :-
  • Search & Rescue Dog
  • Border Patrol
  • Police K9
  • Explosive
  • Sniffer
  • Drug Detector & etc.........

What we need to look for in diff types of service dogs and what are the major/clear differentiator among them......

May be a million dollar question, but i'm just curious........... To answer your question...There are plenty of difference to the fields you listed here. SAR are dogs train to detect humans in three areas (1. Disasters 2. Wilderness 3. Urban.) Also Cadaver Dogs are different than SAR dogs where they are trained to detect human parts (dead). I dont know what you mean by border patrol. But if your talking about Border Protection there are plenty different types of specialized training you can have at a border. For Patrol dogs (trained to protect a border using sentry or guard dogs.) For Detection field it can be from explosives, narcotics, wildlife animals, food and meats, humans, currency, etc. Explosives..Thats simple. to detection explosives. Sniffer- what do you mean? all dogs sniff. I think your thinking detection dogs. Drugs- Dogs trained to detect narcotics. Each field requires different drives and skills that a trainer looks for. When I look for a detection dog I look for different things. A working labrador is different than a labrador thats a pet. Its really night and day when you would compare the two. Its like they are different breeds all together.

boon
Doggyman

Jan 4, 2005, 4:20 PM

Post #57 of 58 (27092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hybridtheory] Various type of service dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

Thanz for sharing.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

FredAl
Novice

Jan 9, 2005, 1:25 AM

Post #58 of 58 (27031 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hi All,

Anyone out there mind to share their knowledge regarding service dogs over here ?

1. What are the diff in drives, type, attitute for :-
  • Search & Rescue Dog
  • Border Patrol
  • Police K9
  • Explosive
  • Sniffer
  • Drug Detector & etc.........

What we need to look for in diff types of service dogs and what are the major/clear differentiator among them......

May be a million dollar question, but i'm just curious........... _______________ These are just some of the traits I look for in my service dogs. For a SAR dog, I look for the dog's desire to please humans, not just its handler. Since some SAR operations require the use of multiple dogs, it should not be dog-aggressive, and at the same time, not too friendly with other dogs that it would choose to play rather than focus on the task. It should possess a good amount of hunt drive and enough prey drive that we can utilize to make it understand the objectives of the job. For Detection Dogs (whether for explosives or narcotics), I look for very high prey and hunt drives. I want its "lust for the prey object" to overcome the dog's other desires. I want the dog to continue searching even if it's already tired and thirsty, and would only take a break to drink after it has found its prey object. When testing a dog for potential detection work, I place a bowl of water near us, and when I see the dog heading for the water bowl, wanting to drink, I toss the retrieve object one more time. If the dog instantly redirects his focus into retrieving the object, forgetting about taking a drink, then it is an excellent prospect for detection training. I also want the potential detection dog to be confident and courageous in different situations. I don't want it to be leery of noise, traffic, heights, moving objects, etc.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my