Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
dog always move around

tan_ling
Dog Kichi

Apr 1, 2004, 7:23 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1160 views)
Shortcut
dog always move around Can't Post

Frowni got a difficult problem tat if i wan to clear my dog ear or paws my dog always bite me and move around..how to make my dog stay quietly??

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 1, 2004, 9:55 AM

Post #2 of 4 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tan_ling] dog always move around [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a few questions ... to help make it easier to try and give suggestions ...
  • How old is your dog? What breed?
  • How long have you had your dog?
  • What do you mean by bite? Is the dog just mouthing or actually biting and breaking skin?
  • Do you have a training book/manual?
  • How experienced are you with dogs?

Cheers Smile

tan_ling
Dog Kichi

Apr 1, 2004, 9:22 PM

Post #3 of 4 (1151 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] dog always move around [In reply to] Can't Post

MY DOG 1 YEAR OLD AND ATER WORK I ONLY CAN PLAY WZ HIM..MOSTLY IS MY MUM ACCOMPANY HIM...HE ONLY MOUTHING BUT WHEN I WAN TO CLEAR HIS EAR HE ALWAY MOVING SO VEY DIFFUCULT ..I DON KNOW WAT MANUAL BOOK I SHOULD BUY..CAN U RECOMENDED?I VERY NEW IN BREED DOG

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Apr 1, 2004, 9:53 PM

Post #4 of 4 (1147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tan_ling] dog always move around [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

The way to get a dog to lie still when you are trying to clean ears or trim nails is ... correct conditioning ... That is to get your dog so secure and used to your handling him that he doesn't mind anymore what you do ... This takes time, patience and effort ...

I assume your dog is the beagle in your avatar.

Will suggest the following:

(a) Just start spending more time with your dog ... handling him ... touching his ears ... his paws ... give belly rubs ... do this gradually and consistently - without frightening your dog ... This can take time ...

(b) Once your dog is reasonably comfortable with your handling him ... Try placing your dog on your lap ... teach it not to struggle ... again, belly rubs are very useful to get your dog to lie still ... our dogs will actually fall asleep when we give belly rubs ... And when your dog is comfortable on your lap ... start handling ears and paws ... again gradually - without frightening your dog ...

(c) Once your dog is used to general handling - slowly introduce the ear cleaning ... again do this gradually - don't expect to clean the ears the first time ... just get dog used to your handling the ears and having cotton pad in hand ... move step by step ...

It might also be a good idea to only do the above after you have played with your dog and/or taken your dog for a good long walk. A happy & tired dog is less likely to struggle ...

Remember to encourage positive behaviour ...So every time your dog allows you to handle it's ears, paws etc - give a treat & praise ... everytime your dog lies still for you ... treat & praise ...

A good training book will teach you the correct way to train, the correct way to reinforce good behaviour with praise & treats and how to properly condition a dog ...

Check the threads in the forum using the "search" function for (a) how to deal with "mouthing" and (b) for recommended training books ...

You can try these:

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=74847;search_string=mouthing;#74847

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=115539;search_string=training%20manuals%20books;#115539

Cheers Smile

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my