Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Vaccination:
Showering puppy after vaccination

cyphang
Canine Addict

Dec 13, 2002, 10:41 PM

Post #1 of 9 (13397 views)
Shortcut
Showering puppy after vaccination Can't Post

Hi all. I was told by my breeder and my vet to not shower Sunnie for a few days after her second jap. However, I forgot about the number of days as I absolutely have no clue remembering numbers !
Is it at least a week before I can shower her? She needs a bath cuz she's so dirty !
With warm regards,
CY Phang

Mummy of Sunnie, the happy, cheeky and naughty female shih tzu pup

elizatye
K9 Senior

Dec 13, 2002, 10:58 PM

Post #2 of 9 (13395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cyphang] Showering puppy after vaccination [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Phang,

During my second and third vaccination of yippi, the vet told me not to shower him for 3 days. I showered him on the forth day. I think it is no need to wait for 1 week.

Smile Eliza

May
Old Hand

Dec 13, 2002, 11:07 PM

Post #3 of 9 (13393 views)
Shortcut

Hi!!

Went I brought my pup for vaccination the vet told me to bath her after one week. So for the next jab I bath her first before send her to the vet.

But I always make it a point to bath her before visiting the vet. At least she look more tidy and smells good too.

(This post was edited by May on Dec 13, 2002, 11:11 PM)

wkser
ALPHA

Dec 13, 2002, 11:23 PM

Post #4 of 9 (13390 views)
Shortcut

hi cy,
you should shower your doggie before everytime you bring your doggie to go for a jabSmile......you can shower your doggie after three to four days after the jab......Wink

regards
kangser and nous

cyphang
Canine Addict

Dec 13, 2002, 11:28 PM

Post #5 of 9 (13388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wkser] Showering puppy after vaccination [In reply to] Can't Post

I know....I was clever this time hehe...I knew I couldn't shower her after the jap so on the morning before the jap, I showered her first...Now is one week already...I think I better bathe her today or tomorrow!
With warm regards,
CY Phang

Mummy of Sunnie, the happy, cheeky and naughty female shih tzu pup

fun
Novice

Jun 16, 2003, 9:07 PM

Post #6 of 9 (13309 views)
Shortcut

Hi, My Ruffie just took his 2nd jab last week. Now, he is really dirty.

I did shower him before we go to vet. But, you know what that nite after I fed him, he crawed under the car, his stomarch and legs became black in color. Wah... very angry when seeing that.

The vet said that I need to shower him after 10 days, now just fourth day, I really cannot tahan already, especially when i saw his behind legs have red spots. Do I really need to wait until one week?

Although he just got his jab, he looks very active. Pls advise.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jun 16, 2003, 10:33 PM

Post #7 of 9 (13304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fun] Showering puppy after vaccination [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there,

I suggest you don't. Maybe wipe him with warm water (not sure if that's advisable either)

A vaccination is like putting germs in your doggy's body so that his immune system can build a resistance against it slowly. For this he has to be in the best condition possible,especially the body temperature. Showering him would expose him to water which may get him cold. Even after a WARM shower, you have to dry him.This is also when he can get cold.

We wouldn't want to waste the dogs 'energy' keeping warm. We want it to build the resistance and fight the germs so that he doesn't fall sick.

It's the same as a human vaccination. For example, someone gets a tetanus jab. He'll of course take a shower for hygene reasons. But he'll also get a fever.

This is NOT to say that if he DOESN'T shower,he won't get sick. His immune system is a little weak.

Hope this helps.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 21, 2003, 9:51 PM

Post #8 of 9 (13288 views)
Shortcut

Hi, yeah, never bath your dog after the jab, they could go shortness in breath, start vomitting foam and then 'toing' especially for small and weaker dogs... never never bath them after the jab.. i usually will only bath jaz a week later her jab, but of course bath her clean first before visiting the vet! Laugh

waikc
Dog Kichi

Dec 29, 2003, 10:28 PM

Post #9 of 9 (13201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] Showering puppy after vaccination [In reply to] Can't Post

your dog might be stressed if subjected to a shower, and because of that, his immune system may be weakened, and thus making him fall sick to the weakened virus introduced through the vaccine. if your dog finds showering fun, and don't get stressed from it, it doesn't matter if he's showered 4 days or 1 week after the jab. so, it really depends on the dog. say for example ur dog is not showered during that few days, but bump into an event which shocked him out of his skin...you'll get the same problem as well.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my