Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Mixed Breed: Mixed Breed and Mongrels:
Do you think that mongrel can be trained?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jenniko
Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2004, 2:52 AM

Post #1 of 38 (4844 views)
Shortcut
Do you think that mongrel can be trained? Can't Post

Hello,

I'm thinking recently how to train my bf's mongrels to be a good and obedient dog...He has three mongrels, the oldest is a black color dog named Fei Fei, the second one is a female dog named Michi (our daughter) and the youngest one is a male dog (same color with Michi - light brown) named Sai Michi (small Michi). The youngest is the baby of my bf's mum (she took him home from the market)...but very naughty...he likes to chew on shoes, especially my bf's slippers...and he likes to search the dustbin for things to chew and make a mess...and sometimes chew on my bf's mum's goods that are intended to sell in the market...

His mum quite mad at Sai Michi...but everytime scolded him, he will show you the pity and cute face...so pitiful and his mum will stop scolding...and after that he will start searching and making mess again...

Some people said that mongrel is hard to train...it's their nature to behave that way...but I think otherwise...therefore I'm asking opinion from all...Is it possible to train mongrel? How to train them to behave well??

Thanks.

Love,
Jennifer

~Julie - My beloved mixed terrier ~
**Always in memory**
--Rest in Peace--

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 24, 2004, 7:27 AM

Post #2 of 38 (4840 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jenniko] Do you think that mongrel can be trained? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi jennifer,

mongrel or not mongrel, they are all dogs and dogs can be trained with the right methods... do search the forum on training...

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 25, 2004, 5:18 AM

Post #3 of 38 (4836 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jenniko] Do you think that mongrel can be trained? [In reply to] Can't Post

of course mongrels can be trained...they're all dogs and all dogs can be trained, no matter purebred, mixed breeds or mongrels. i have also seen mongrels at obedience trials. dogs are only hard to train becoz they are adults and have already formed the undesirable habits. get a good training book and start from there. Cool

Sorely missed and always remembered - Beloved Billy
Penang lang? Click here!!

A Friend
Dog Kichi

Mar 25, 2004, 5:17 PM

Post #4 of 38 (4832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kesuke] Do you think that mongrel can be trained? [In reply to] Can't Post

ALL DOGS can be trained, regardless of breed or age. Very often, people say that mongrels are more difficult to train, and there may be some truth in that, but it is not because they are mongrels. The reason, in my opinion, is that many pitiful mongrels have spent some time on the streets and roaming in the wild. As such, they have had to acquire street-wise habits that tend to die hard (because it is an issue of survival for them out there). So when they do finally land up with an owner, these habits may tend to persist because that "survival" mentality is retained.

Hence, I tend to think that they may be a bit harder to train because of all the time they have spent out there struggling to survive, not simply because they are mongrels. Mongrels are just as smart, if not smarter, than purebred dogs.

But then again, ALL dogs can be trained. If I had a mongrel that I wished to train, I would probably want to spend a lot of time assuring him/her that under my care, survival is not an issue because all his/her needs will be met. Under such assurance of security and affection, they will do almost ANYTHING for the one on whom their survival depends.

--------------------
SHERMAN YL KUEK
Father to Charis & Chayim

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 25, 2004, 7:49 PM

Post #5 of 38 (4830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [A Friend] Do you think that mongrel can be trained? [In reply to] Can't Post

yes i agree with you totally. mongrels are much hardier than purebreds coz they don't have the hereditary and genetic problems and they are mostly much healthier too. some mongrels are so intelligent you really wonder if they understand human language at all...Cool and becoz some have to survive on the streets, they have to have these survival skills that are necessary to them but sometimes undesirable to us. if it's a mongrel that has never been on the streets, i'd say it's not that hard to train...just as what you'll get with a purebred.

Jenniko
Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2004, 9:29 PM

Post #6 of 38 (4824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] Do you think that mongrel can be trained? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ai Ney,

Thanks for your opinion/advice. I will probably do some searching in the forum...

Thank you very much

Love,
Jennifer

**Always in memory**
--Rest in Peace--

Jenniko
Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2004, 9:38 PM

Post #7 of 38 (4823 views)
Shortcut
Re: [A Friend] Do you think that mongrel can be trained? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Sherman,

I think you are right...Well said. I understand their nature for survival that's why I never been to harsh on them and never expect them to behave obediently. But I do wish to spend some time on them and try my best to train them to follow simple orders...

Hehe...you are so right in your opinion...thank you so much for your advice...

I will try my best to make a change...

Love,
Jennifer

**Always in memory**
--Rest in Peace--

Jenniko
Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2004, 9:49 PM

Post #8 of 38 (4822 views)
Shortcut

Hello Kesuke,

You have a great point here...yes...one thing I find about mongrels is their health...they have less problem with health and never as fragile as the other breed...I used to have a mixed terrier and I find her health quite fragile and cannot eat a lot of things...unlike mongrels in my bf's house...they eat anything that are given without choosing their food...compared to my mixed terrier last time, she tend to choose what to eat...a bit 'sombong'...hehe...

Nevertheless, I totally agree with your opinion...all dogs are smart and somehow they seems to understand us...that's why I love dogs so much...they are like your best friends, just like human...

I really have been put off when I heard some people told me that mongrels are hard to train and asked me not to waste my time...that's why I'm asking you all to give me your opinion...and I'm glad you all have the same mind set with me...

I will try my best and hopefully can make a change...

Thank you.

Love,
Jennifer

**Always in memory**
--Rest in Peace--

gillian923
K9 Kaki

Mar 25, 2004, 11:18 PM

Post #9 of 38 (4819 views)
Shortcut

yeah i agreed with they all too. Like my dog Mon MOn, he is a spritz mix with mongrel, he actually smart and an understanding dog. We stay at apartment, due to his size, we have the constrain of bring him go down to do his business. He really know the situation of us, therefore everytime we bring him go to the lift, automatically he will sit at the corner and quiet wait until the lift come, go in and sit at the corner too until ground floor. He wont come n kacau other people, even other ppl want to give him thing to eat also wont admit it.

Doggies have to be train, ofcourse not naturary talent on everything. Since, the puppy is still young, once he get well trained will become a "good" dog.

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 26, 2004, 5:09 AM

Post #10 of 38 (4811 views)
Shortcut

hi jen (can i call you jen? Laugh)

haha yeah...it's the one of the short comings of purebreds nowadays, coz they are *pure* so they get the good and the bad genes. whereas mongrels are well...mongrels..Sly so they are hardier. so far i haven't heard of mongrels being fussy over food...hehehe...only purebreds...like they are too pampered already.....Crazy

yeah...dogs are surely our best friends...that's why we must strive to be their best friend too.. some humans don't even equal dogs in certain aspects...Crazy i'm glad you'll be training them. just ignore those ppl who say mongrels cannot be trained. apparently, they know nothing about dogs. and you know better. Cool

Jenniko
Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2004, 2:22 AM

Post #11 of 38 (4805 views)
Shortcut

Hello Kesuke,

Sure you can call me Jen...hehe...I'm more happy to hear that...seems much closer friend...hehe...although we never meet...

thanks for your supportive message...I will try my best...will let you know any difficulties or result soon...hopefully...

see ya.

Love,
Jennifer

**Always in memory**
--Rest in Peace--

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 27, 2004, 8:00 PM

Post #12 of 38 (4798 views)
Shortcut

hehee...yeah calling you jen sounds like we are much closer friends..Cool

alright...keep us updated on your training "job"....hehe.....Tongue

silvrash
Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2004, 8:34 PM

Post #13 of 38 (4788 views)
Shortcut

Its true that mongrels is better than purebreeds in many ways. especially healtier.

I use to have a mongrel/mixed puppy, got him from the market place. He was really obidient. Every morning, my dad let him out to go to toilet and about 5-10min later when i come down to close his cage he'll rush back. the third day when he saw me coming he goes in automatically, i don't even have to call him. Maybe he's smart so don't really need teaching. but he died a two weeks after we got him, he was suffering from heart worm,Frown maybe because of the things he ate when he was still on the street.

Butr a lot of ppl just think that purebreed is more valueable and mongrels, you can get them anywhere.Unsure
www.wretch.cc/album/LilLiFashion

Jenniko
Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2004, 1:19 AM

Post #14 of 38 (4776 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I'm glad to hear friends call me Jen although not many call me that...usually they will call me Jennifer and most of the time, they will make funny sound when calling me...hehe...

So, what should I call you to feel the same...closer friends...hehehe

Hope to hear from you soon...

See ya...

By the way, any good tips for me to train my doggies?

Love,
Jennifer

**Always in memory**
--Rest in Peace--

Jenniko
Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2004, 1:34 AM

Post #15 of 38 (4774 views)
Shortcut
Re: [silvrash] Do you think that mongrel can be trained? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Ashley,

So sorry to hear about your dog. I feel so sad for them, especially whenever I saw those dogs that are still in the street...wandering around without home and proper food...some of them even have rashes on their skins and some has broken legs due to accident.. aiya...life is sad for them...

But I don't really think that purebreed is more valuable than mongrels...to me all dogs are the same...they are cute, lovely, and they are all my best friends...right?

Anyway, any tips to add on to my training? Hope to hear from you soon...see ya...

Love,
Jennifer

**Always in memory**
--Rest in Peace--

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 30, 2004, 9:12 PM

Post #16 of 38 (4766 views)
Shortcut
Re: [silvrash] Do you think that mongrel can be trained? [In reply to] Can't Post

so sorry to hear about your dog who died from heartworm....Frown but it was a good thing that he had a good life before he died becoz of you and your family. Smile

are you getting another dog soon?

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 30, 2004, 9:15 PM

Post #17 of 38 (4766 views)
Shortcut

kakaka.....make funny sound when calling you?? how?? coz i can't seem to think of any funny names that sound like jennifer...hehehe....Crazy coz jennifer is a nice name. Smile

oh my name is tze ping....you can call me either tze or ping...hehehehe...some of my friends when teasing me they call me tze lah...coz sounds like zzzzzzz......ehehehe.....Laugh

hmm...i don't know much about training though...you can start with the positive method...like praise and reward him whenver he does something right. read up on some books like the power of positive training or teaching your dog 100 words....Wink

dodo888
Dog Kichi

Mar 30, 2004, 11:08 PM

Post #18 of 38 (4762 views)
Shortcut

hi,

i have 12 dogs, all of them mongrel, they r so easily trained or some dont even need to train as they learn from their peers. i would never buy pure breed. mongrel is the best breed! they have the best dna mix from all the dogs. go figure. why is a mix breed human fetch more mkt value and respect than us pure yellow chin?

Jenniko
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2004, 1:56 AM

Post #19 of 38 (4754 views)
Shortcut

Hello Tze Ping,

I think calling you Tze Ping sounds great...or maybe can call you Ping Ping sounds good too...

Aiya...you don't know meh...people used to call me Jennifer Lopez...J Lo...or long winded pronoucing Jennifer.....hehehe...or sometimes call me Fur Fur...hehe...

Anyway, thanks for your advice...hope to hear from you soon...

See ya

Love,
Jennifer

**Always in memory**
--Rest in Peace--

Jenniko
Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2004, 3:04 AM

Post #20 of 38 (4753 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dodo888] Do you think that mongrel can be trained? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello,

Wahhhh...12 doggies...you must be living in a big big bungalow that can house them...I know that some of them no need training and they are smart enough....my lui lui (Michi) is one of them that need no training and can understand us...but unlike the younger one...the newest family member...he seems not to understand our command...he will only scare when scolded on the spot...tried to hide away and then when we go away...he will start notty thing again...i.e. biting all sort of things...hehe...

Anyway, thanks for your advice...do share with us how you take care of 12 dogs...ok?

Hope to hear more from you soon...

See ya

Love,
Jennifer

**Always in memory**
--Rest in Peace--

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 31, 2004, 3:43 AM

Post #21 of 38 (4752 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dodo888] Do you think that mongrel can be trained? [In reply to] Can't Post

hey! wow....i think it's great that there are actually fans of mongrels and mixed breeds....so many ppl take mongrels as "par lia" dogs...i dunno...mostly of the looks i guess but they are no diff than purebreds...Smile except maybe the immune system and health aspect.

kakaka..you're comparing humans with dogs? hehehe... yes i agree that some "mixed" ppl are more sought after...mainly it's becoz of their exotic looks. we can see so many of them in the entertaiment industry. but you must also remember that "mixed" ppl get their fair share of jeers and bullys while they are growing up becoz they are mixed.

kesuke
Doggyman

Mar 31, 2004, 3:45 AM

Post #22 of 38 (4752 views)
Shortcut

kakaka..ping ping ah?? that's how my family calls me...hehehe....Tongue

aiseh...you should take it as a compliment when they're calling you j.lo lah...right?? Laugh then what about fur fur?? CrazyCrazy

so how's the training going?

Jenniko
Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2004, 1:21 AM

Post #23 of 38 (4745 views)
Shortcut

Hello Ping Ping,

Hope you don't mind...hehe...J.LO...aiya...don't be like that la...they are teasing me....I don't have J Lo's pretty body and face...hehehe...

Actually, I feel hard to start the training...I think I need to read more on how to train first before I start anything...what do you think?

See ya

Love,
Jennifer

**Always in memory**
--Rest in Peace--

kesuke
Doggyman

Apr 1, 2004, 10:11 PM

Post #24 of 38 (4738 views)
Shortcut

kakakak...pingping...hehehe....sounds funny when you say it this way..ehhehe.....but i don't mind....TongueLaugh

haha...there must be some "truth" in it when you friends call you J.Lo ler...maybe you're also pretty mah.....Cool

yes, good idea to read up more on training before you start. but you could also teach the dog some simple ones...like sit, hand, down, heel, come...actually the basics are the crucial ones lah...

dodo888
Dog Kichi

Apr 1, 2004, 11:42 PM

Post #25 of 38 (4734 views)
Shortcut

hi.

most mongrels r very intelligence, if i remember correctly the no.1 top working dog in america is a mongrel, he is capable of multi-task while others pure breed r trained on a specific skill. (i watched a documentary fr national geographic) i dont have a specific training program even i had read many bks. i just dont have the time to follow that. i had been following a very easy approach. every new dog that came to my house. i start by telling them what is "no" once they understand what is No. it gets easy. when they do the right thing, praise/reward them like hell (positive reinforment). once they can differenciate what is "yes" and what is "no" wouldnt it make ur life easier? they r very smart they will learn the rest from day to day life. i dont teach them tricks bcos i see no nid for them to please me by performing tricks, i would like to keep them as close to thier life as possible, they r not suppose/obliged to please us by performing all the stupid tricks. but the tendency to please u is already in thier dna. u will see them coming out with thier own unique tricks.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my