Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: Dog Grooming:
How often should we shampoo our dog

Gill
Novice

Dec 24, 2001, 7:03 AM

Post #1 of 12 (5013 views)
Shortcut
How often should we shampoo our dog Can't Post

If I purchase a small breed long coat doggie, how often should bath and shampoo them ?

jason
Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2001, 7:29 PM

Post #2 of 12 (5010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gill] How often should we shampoo our dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Gill Smile,

As for my boxer puppy, I bath and shampoo her once a week. But, however, it depends on your puppy daily activities. If you play with her/him on grass or sand groud frequently, I think you should bath her/him twice a week. Just my views.

regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Dec 24, 2001, 7:46 PM

Post #3 of 12 (5008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] How often should we shampoo our dog [In reply to] Can't Post

hhmm..lemme see..I bath my dogs once every month. Smile or when I feel that they are getting to oily ...most of the time, I get the dirt of by brushing..if it's still there, then it's off to the showers....but that's my prefernce...

Got this from an article on the internet:
"Even if your dog is a house dog (i.e., stays inside all the time) he must go outside several times a day to go to the bathroom. That's where he can pick up a few fleas and bring them back inside where they multiply on him and in your home. There are always promising new flea control products coming out on the market, but nothing beats a good, old-fashioned flea bath, which is why most dogs get bathed as often as they do.

Of course, another reason to bathe your pooch often is that mysterious odor that many people, especially those who do NOT have dogs of their own, call the dog smell.That smell is offensive to many people, even Pet Parents, and using a pleasant smelling shampoo and conditioner (as long as they are the right products for your dog) can help rid your pooch of that odor . . . at least for a while. Which leads to the question, How often should I give my dog a bath?

Frequency of baths
Outside dogs should obviously be bathed more often than inside dogs due to outside conditions,Jarvis, recommends. I think that once every couple of weeks or once a month is great. As long as you brush the coat out thoroughly (before and afterwards), it will help to keep the tangling of the hair down. Drying is also a good idea with a warm or cool air hair dryer, never on high or hot heat, as it could burn your dog.

Frequency of baths is really up to you, however, and the recommendation from your veterinarian, of course. Dogs with extremely dry skin should not be bathed as often as normal-skinned canines because the bathing process dries the skin out somewhat. If you are having trouble with dry skin (or any skin conditions), seek the advice of your veterinarian who can tell you how often to bathe your pooch and what specific products to use on his sensitive skin. "

Khoobg
Webmaster

Dec 25, 2001, 6:17 AM

Post #4 of 12 (5004 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gill] How often should we shampoo our dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Shampooing of dog should be kept to the minimum. Unlike human, dog do not have sweat glands and they do not sweat. On the skin of dog, there is layer of protective oil that serve as a barrier or defence against skin diseases. Bathing your dog with shampoo will destroy this oil layer and make the subsceptible to skin diseases. If your dog get a bit muddy after an evening walk, rinse them with running water without shampoo. To get rid of dead hair & skin flakes, use brushes for short coat dog and metal comb for those with long coat.

On the other hand when your dog is infected with flea or fungus, bathing your dog with medicated shampoo will become necessary.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Dec 25, 2001, 7:16 AM

Post #5 of 12 (5003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] How often should we shampoo our dog [In reply to] Can't Post

I also wanna add that you can't use human shampoo for dogs because the PH is different and if you use human shampoo, it will strip away too much of the oil that our lovely doggie coats need. Smile

yinsing
Novice

Dec 8, 2002, 5:51 PM

Post #6 of 12 (4899 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] How often should we shampoo our dog [In reply to] Can't Post

hello

my opinion about "how often" is largely depend on the type of shampoo you use. ......... advertising contents deleted.

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Dec 10, 2002, 12:17 AM)

yinsing
Novice

Dec 9, 2002, 3:02 AM

Post #7 of 12 (4896 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yinsing] How often should we shampoo our dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Advertising contents deleted. Please take note that this is a technical forum.

Webmaster

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Dec 10, 2002, 12:18 AM)

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 9, 2002, 9:49 AM

Post #8 of 12 (4892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rainbow] How often should we shampoo our dog [In reply to] Can't Post

oohh... i was actually been advised to use human shampoo and conditioning for my silky terrier by the breeder!! i usually bath her twice a week as i notice that she has rashes around her neck.. how do i get this cure? could this be because of the heat? pls advise.

yinsing
Novice

Dec 9, 2002, 7:57 PM

Post #9 of 12 (4885 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaz] How often should we shampoo our dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Advertising contents deleted

(This post was edited by Khoobg on Dec 10, 2002, 12:19 AM)

cyphang
Canine Addict

Dec 9, 2002, 9:07 PM

Post #10 of 12 (4882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yinsing] How often should we shampoo our dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't mean to be rude...but this sounds like an indirect form of advertising to me?
With warm regards,
CY Phang

Mummy of Sunnie, the happy, cheeky and naughty female shih tzu pup

cdmoo
ALPHA

Dec 9, 2002, 11:56 PM

Post #11 of 12 (4877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cyphang] How often should we shampoo our dog [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi CY,

Agreed!

Have seen a no. of postings from yinsing.. she/he has been pushing hard on the Chris Systems...

yinsing, would u like to tell us a bit more about urself in the Member's Introduction?

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

jaz
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 12, 2002, 8:39 AM

Post #12 of 12 (4843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] How often should we shampoo our dog [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah man! i was confused.. but anyway, has anyone of you guys tried that product? Tongue

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my