IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Vaccination:
Is vaccination a must?

rocz

Mar 6, 2004, 5:22 PM

Post #1 of 19 (5510 views)
Shortcut
Is vaccination a must? Can't Post

Hi,I have read something fr this website recently n now I m wondering abt the neccessity of vacc........wat do u think?(read the link first)

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/...on/vaccinations.html

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 6, 2004, 6:39 PM

Post #2 of 19 (5506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rocz] Is vaccination a must? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

In the last 5 years particularly ... the debate has raged ... with proponents from both sides, as to whether vaccination boosters do more harm than good ...

But please note ... most experts agree that the initial set of vaccinations against distemper, parvo and rabies are necessary (rabies vaccination, I believe is a legal requirement in some countries) ... the disagreement revolves primarily around annual or booster shots ...

Cheers Smile

rocz

Mar 6, 2004, 7:24 PM

Post #3 of 19 (5503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Is vaccination a must? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the reply....

Second question is.....actually I have noticed the label on the vacc medicine that it must be stored btw 2-7degree celcius....sometimes i actually doubt the storage mth of vet or breeders....they claim that the dog is vacc....but the medicine could be ineffective due to improper handling..after that they still charge ur a few tens for the injection....but the medicine only cost them fr 5 cents to one dollar per jet....

I was actually thok of doing it by myself but another factor arose....the medicine might not be transported properly as it might go thru a few hrs of journey under the hot weather in Malaysia...haha...

Anyway just a piece of doubt...I still have my Lucas vacc when it was a puppy...:P

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 6, 2004, 7:37 PM

Post #4 of 19 (5501 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rocz] Is vaccination a must? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes ... understand what you mean ...

I guess that is why we need to only visit vets we know and trust ...

We have actually had experience of a vet prescribing medication that had expired ... and when this was pointed out ... all the vet had to say was ... "Oh, yes ar?"

Cheers Smile

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 8, 2004, 8:12 AM

Post #5 of 19 (5488 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy,rocz] Is vaccination a must? [In reply to] Can't Post

hello all,Smile

read up the article.pretty interesting piece. but i've got few questions.hope i could get some answers here.

okie..as we know, dogs come in various sizes. so does the vet know the proper dosage??

what if a puppy has weak immune system?? can she counter the vaccine(since vaccine is a diluted form of an actual disease??)

is there such thing as vaccine allergy?

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 9, 2004, 2:36 AM

Post #6 of 19 (5476 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] Is vaccination a must? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

To my best understanding (and I stand to be correct on all the following):

*** The same dosage of vaccine is prescribed for all dogs, regardless of size ...

*** The rationale is that the vaccine (consisting of weakened virus) is not supposed to induce a virulent form of the illness ... but if it does because the subject dog is weak or has low immunity ... then I believe the same sustaintaing treatment as would be prescribed to a dog who actually caught the illness would be the only treatment ... there is no "special" antidote as such to combat vaccine induced illness.

*** Not sure what you mean by "Is there such a thing as vaccine allergy" ... But if you are referring to a situation like that of an "allergic reaction to an antiboitic" ... then I don't think so.

But again ... I am not completely sure ... please check with your vet.

Cheers Smile

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 9, 2004, 6:50 AM

Post #7 of 19 (5469 views)
Shortcut

hello there,Smile

thanks for the info. Smile

just being curious. let's say, pups with low immunity are jabbed with weakened viruses. what if the pups' body couldn't react, will the viruses die off??would it be possible if the viruses mutate??

hope i'm not asking stupid questions. just kinna worried after reading the articles.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 9, 2004, 8:44 AM

Post #8 of 19 (5466 views)
Shortcut

Hi ... Smile ...

Once again ... you are asking interesting questions ...

I think if a pup with poor health or low immunity is vaccinated ... the pup's body will react to the vaccine by contracting a more severe form of the illness than would a normal healthy pup ... And this why vaccinations can be dangerous to a weak pup or a pup with low immunity ... It is for this reason that some dog people and vets are not in favour of injecting multiple vaccines into pups and why they say - once vaccinated, it is unecessary and overly risky, to give boosters every year ...

However, if the pup recovers, the pup should be adequately protected against any subsequent attack by that same type of virus ... Basically, the pup's defensive system will have imprinted the viral signature into its memory and thereafter be able to produce the antibodies to resist subsequent infection ... This is how vaccines build immunity.

I am afraid I have very little knowledge about viral mutation ... all I know is, that some forms of viruses, such as flu viruses are more likely to mutate than others ... Haven't the foggiest whether distemper and parvo viruses have that tendency ... sorry.

The area of vaccinations is quite technical ... and I do suggest that you discuss this with your vet ...

Cheers Smile

Ballistic

Jun 9, 2004, 3:38 AM

Post #9 of 19 (5139 views)
Shortcut

I have forgotten which site I read it from, but some vets agrees that vaccination may not be the best for your dog. They are better off with out this jabs. I wonder if anyone has come across articles like these aswell?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 9, 2004, 5:35 AM

Post #10 of 19 (5135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ballistic] Is vaccination a must? [In reply to] Can't Post

Please read the posts in this thread ... the answer to your question is there ...

Cheers Smile

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 22, 2004, 2:02 AM

Post #11 of 19 (5044 views)
Shortcut

hi surchinmy,Smile

spoke to a vet regarding vaccination. Smile

it's a must for a vet to run several test before vaccination. it's to determine the pup's immunity status. If immune system is high, the pup will be vaccinated.

If vaccination is done on a pup that has low immune system, it will weaken the system ever more. the pup will be prone to more viral attack.

so peep, if your vet didn't conduct any test before vaccination, question him!!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 22, 2004, 3:16 AM

Post #12 of 19 (5040 views)
Shortcut

Very true ... procedurally, a vet is supposed to examine the dog physically to ensure good healthy condition and in some cases, do a basic blood test to check cell count before administering vaccinations ...

If required, a titering test is also to be done to determine need for fresh vaccination ...

The questions are ...

(a) How often do vets in Malaysia do any other above before administering vaccinations?

(b) How many vets actually have the equipment to carry out titering tests?

(c) The titering tests may cost more than the vaccinations, and how many owners are prepared to pay for the additional cost?

Cheers

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 22, 2004, 8:37 AM

Post #13 of 19 (5032 views)
Shortcut

hi surchinmy,Smile

gotta pay my vet another visit for more information..hehehe

I was just wondering if there's a reliable way to measure immunity. Dogs(even cats) comes in different sizes and breed. Some are hardy and some are not. By vaccinating our furkids yearly, are we actually stressing their immune system?

regarding titering test,it's pretty new to me.
i read it somewhere in a forum that titers are not 100% accurate. On top of that, it's expensive and time consuming.however, i'm trying to mail couple of vet in malaysia to see if they provide titering test, will let you know.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jun 22, 2004, 7:50 PM

Post #14 of 19 (5028 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

The word "immunity" can have different meanings, depending on the context ...

When we refer to a dog's "general immunity level" - we are really trying to describe how healthy and effective a dog's system is - in resisting general infection ... Thus, a dog with good or healthy general immunity will have good general resistance to infections (of all types) ...

But when speaking of vaccination and measuring immunity ... the expression "immunity" is used slightly differently ... Here it means measuring the dog's immunity against a specific or particular virus infection ...

The general belief among those who DO NOT support annual vaccinations, is that if a dog already has good immunity against a particular viral infection (which immunity was induced by a previous vaccination) then the dog ought not to be vaccinated again ... Conventionally, the titer test is used to check the level of this kind of specific immunity.

The titer test is not cheap ... and requires correct equipment ... as for its accuracy (I do not know enough to comment) ...

Vaccination means the introduction of a treated & weaken virus into the dog, thus inducing a mild version of the infection - which stimulates the dog's immunity system to produce anti-bodies to combat the virus ... in so doing, the dog's system builds and develops a specific defensive mechanism against that particular for of viral infection - Thus, giving the dog immunity against that virus in virulent form.

Because vaccinations actually induce a mild form of the infection into the dog, vaccinations can be harmful or dangerous for dogs who are weak or have low general immunity ... because the introduction of the virus (albeit weakened) will still cause an infection. Which is why dogs are not supposed to be bathed or stress in the week after a vaccination ... and why some vets insist that dogs must be examined and pronounced generally healthy before the giving of vaccinations.

Check the above threads for more explanation.

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Jun 22, 2004, 8:25 PM)

Karen0127
Novice

Dec 14, 2004, 5:22 AM

Post #15 of 19 (4079 views)
Shortcut

I don't know anything about vaccinate. Frown Last time I adopt 2 puppies from an auntie because her dog got 8 puppies and she was going to throw them away, they all haven vaccinate yet, but not long ago, 1 of my puppy fall in sickFrown, his stomach got alot of worm, keep in vomit and poo with blood. I though he will die, but I still bring him to a vet clinic at Taman Muda, Cheras, the vet give me antibiotic and worm medicine. (because I not enough money that time, she charge me about RM90++ and the 1st time I don't know it was so expensive) But he still look bad, so I bring him to another vet clinic, she give me another antibiotic and some antivirus medicine, the pups recover already, but the 2nd pups fall in sick! The 2nd pup is not as serious as the 1st pup because the 1st time he vomit, I start to give him antibiotik and medicine, just he no appetite to eat any food.

My question is: once my pups recover from that virus, is it still need to vaccinate from the same virus? and what kind of vaccinate it should take? I ask that vet clinic, the vet said 1 dos charge about RM15 only, but what I see from here is not that cheap, izzit any different type of the 1st pup's vaccinate? Now the pups is already 3-4 month, but the 2nd pup still very weak and not much appetite....should I wait until both of them healthy only can bring them to vaccinate? Did the virus will attack other healthy dog that haven vaccinate? Frown

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 14, 2004, 8:27 AM

Post #16 of 19 (4068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karen0127] Is vaccination a must? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

From your post I cannot tell what is wrong with your pups ... Do they just have worms or are they also suffering from some kind of bacterial or viral infection? ... If so, what kind of infection? ...

Without knowing what your pups are suffering from - I cannot answer your questions ... sorry Unsure

If your 2nd pup has no appetite - you MUST take the 2nd pup to the vet for an examination ...

And when you are at the vet - ask the vet to explain exactly what is wrong with your pups - If you are not sure, ask the vet to write in down for you ...

Pups who are not well should not be vaccinated ... So, please check with your vet and find out what is wrong with your pups.

Cheers

Karen0127
Novice

Dec 15, 2004, 2:20 AM

Post #17 of 19 (4055 views)
Shortcut

I just wana ask clearly about vaccination cos I don't know different vet got different comment about vaccination onot, and also about the price...

My 1st pups from the 1st time he vomit, he already no appetite to eat anything, he 3 days no eat anything and become very skiny, I bring him to the vet, she said this is because I didn't vaccinate him, but I not very clear about what virus is it because I not understand about the type of virus. The vet said his survive percentage is only 50%, and at the same time the 2nd pup infect the same things from the 1st pup.

Because I'm not very satisfied of the 1st vet I bring to, she didn't explain very well to me and look very hurry to go, this weekend I'll bring them to another vet again. Just want to know more here so that I can ask more & tell more to the vet, thanks!

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 15, 2004, 9:05 AM

Post #18 of 19 (4038 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karen0127] Is vaccination a must? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

For number of vaccinations required & approximate cost - please check this thread ...

www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=76240;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

From your description, you pups may have caught parvo virus (but I am only guessing) ... Why don't you call the 1st vet and ask what was the virus diagnosed ... this will be useful information that you can pass to the 2nd vet.

Please remember to tell your 2nd vet that your dogs are not feeling well & are still weak ...

You are absolutely correct - sick pups or pups recovering from illness, should NOT be vaccinated. Wait until they are well & strong before vaccinating.

Cheers

Karen0127
Novice

Dec 15, 2004, 11:17 PM

Post #19 of 19 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Thank you for your information! I know what to do & ask for my pups now....

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my