Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Worms in Dog:
45 days for Heartgard?

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 18, 2004, 9:53 PM

Post #1 of 18 (7377 views)
Shortcut
45 days for Heartgard? Can't Post

Hi everyone, I read on the internet that Heartgard and Interceptor must be taken at an interval of no more than 45 days. The manufacturer recommends 30 days only for the convenience of remembering to take it at the same time each month. Is that true? Please confirm. If so the heartworm medication can be given once every 6 weeks instead of monthly. That would mean 9 doses per year instead of 12. 25% lower cost as well as giving our doggies 25% less drugs. Best regards,J

Khoobg
Webmaster

Feb 18, 2004, 10:38 PM

Post #2 of 18 (7374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan] 45 days for Heartgard? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see that in the following URL

http://www.marvistavet.com/...ntive_compariso.html

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

boon
Doggyman

Feb 18, 2004, 11:10 PM

Post #3 of 18 (7372 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jay,

yeah i use to read this in the oversea forum. nothing more than 45 days.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 19, 2004, 5:52 AM

Post #4 of 18 (7366 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] 45 days for Heartgard? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Thanks for the URL. Best regards,J

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 19, 2004, 5:56 AM

Post #5 of 18 (7365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] 45 days for Heartgard? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Boon, yeah I want to give my puppies at intervals of 6 weeks instead of 1 month. But thought better check it out with other users just to be sure it is ok. Dont want to be a hero after reading some websites. Best regards,J

boon
Doggyman

Feb 19, 2004, 8:16 AM

Post #6 of 18 (7359 views)
Shortcut

Hi Jay,

yeah no problem, i think i do replied to someone about this many months back. the 45 day interval is has got something to do with the larva development of the heartworm. Generally there are 4 stages all together. So within 45 day is still save and the tablet is capable of killing the worms.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 19, 2004, 6:58 PM

Post #7 of 18 (7355 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaytan, Boon] 45 days for Heartgard? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Hmmm ... 45 day interval ... so give every 6weeks instead of 1 month ... ?

Considering the dangers of heartworms ... especially in a country with lots of mosquitoes ... I would not personally change the schedule ... 'cos then our margin for error is very narrow ... For me, remembering the 1st of the month is far far easier than figuring out 6 week intervals ...

One alternative & maybe safer way (possible for those with smaller dogs) to save come cost ... dosage of ivermectin is weight based ... hence different packs for different weight of dog ... get the pack for the larger dog, and then feed half a cube every month to the smaller dog ... that way a pack will last a year ... But check weight of dog to make sure this method is suitable.

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 19, 2004, 6:58 PM)

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 19, 2004, 7:47 PM

Post #8 of 18 (7352 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] 45 days for Heartgard? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, sorry to have to bring the matter up again. I couldnt find anyone publicly going on the 45 days limit. So I thought I better raise a flag so at least I can be shot down if I am wrong, hahaha. Best regards,J

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 19, 2004, 8:00 PM

Post #9 of 18 (7351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] 45 days for Heartgard? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Surchinmy, yes that is also the logic of the manufacturer which I agree is valid. Many people will forget if the schedule is not dummy proof. So, we do have to consider what is best for our doggies given the realities. However on your interesting alternative, it is not advisable to split the Heartgard cube cos the medication is not always evenly distributed. One dog risk being underdosed. I do use that spliting method for Frontline Spot-on, but that is in liquid form and can be shaked well. Best regards,J

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 19, 2004, 8:10 PM

Post #10 of 18 (7348 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

I believe ... the dosage of medication should be fairly evenly distributed within the cube ... and risk of uneven distribution ought to be minimal ...

My rationale ... Tongue ...

I would think heartguard is manufactured in large quantities and not individually one cube at a time ... And I suspect - heartguard cubes are made from a "general mixture" ... that is either (a) formulated in large slabs and then cut into appropriate cube size ... or (b) the general mixture is injected or poured into individual appropriate sized cube moulds ... But either way, the manufacturer has to ensure a fairly even distribution of medication in the general mixture itself or ... as you say ... then even each cube may not have correct dosage ...

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Feb 19, 2004, 8:16 PM)

jaytan
Canine Addict

Feb 19, 2004, 10:02 PM

Post #11 of 18 (7340 views)
Shortcut

Hi Surchinmy, actually my vet cautioned me against splitting the Heartgard cube. I have also come across comments like that on the internet but none suggesting that splitting is ok. Of course the manufacturer advices against it. I dunno for sure how the cube is made, but they dont have to make it homogeneous. Anyway, it was worth exploring. Imagine the big savings - stretch to 45 days and give only 1/2 a cube, hehehehe. But cannot. Best regards,J

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Feb 19, 2004, 10:04 PM

Post #12 of 18 (7338 views)
Shortcut

Points taken ... Smile

Cheers

Amanda85
Doggyman

Mar 9, 2004, 5:48 AM

Post #13 of 18 (7315 views)
Shortcut

can i feed my dog with heartgard without doing the blood test?

Pacco de Mongrel
~ Come and join us for a doggie jungle trekking @ Bukit Gasing every Saturday morning ~

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Mar 9, 2004, 8:47 AM

Post #14 of 18 (7312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Amanda85] 45 days for Heartgard? [In reply to] Can't Post

No ... your dog must really must do the blood-test first before taking heartguard ... The bood-test is to determine and make sure that your dog has NO heartworms before the taking of heartguard.

If your dog is already infected with heartworms ... then taking heartguard is dangerous and can seriously harm your dog.

Cheers Smile

cnfs

Aug 12, 2004, 11:43 PM

Post #15 of 18 (5960 views)
Shortcut

surchinmy, may I know the average cost of a blood-test for heartworm? Mine is a 4-month old Shih Tzu. Just want to get some info before going down the clinic....Smile Thanks!

Regards,
Mr.Chris

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 20, 2004, 5:54 AM

Post #16 of 18 (5787 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cnfs] 45 days for Heartgard? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry ... cannot remember how much it cost ...

Bailey

Dec 6, 2004, 6:34 PM

Post #17 of 18 (4194 views)
Shortcut

I just want to add that 2 vets in KL have told me that if the dog is below 6 months of age, no need to go for blood test for heatworm and just to start off on the heartworm tablets straight away. If more than 6 months of age, to go for blood test first. You may want to check with your vet on this.

Puppy Power

Bailey

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 7, 2004, 7:59 AM

Post #18 of 18 (4182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bailey] 45 days for Heartgard? [In reply to] Can't Post

As I understand it ... monthly heartworm preventives can cause a severe reaction if given to a dog who already has ADULT heartworms present in its system ...

The "antigen test" is to make sure the dog does not have any adult heartworms BEFORE starting on heartworm treatment ...

So, yes - can understand why your vet would say that it is not necessary to carry out an "antigen test" a pup that is less than 6 months old ...

Heartworm larvae take about 6 months to develop into adult heartworms ... And since the "antigen test" only detects the presence of adult heartworms ... any puppy less that 6 months old is probably going to test negative anyway - because even if heartworm larvae is present in the pup, the larvae would not have had time to mature into adults and would not be detected by the "antigen test".
Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Dec 7, 2004, 8:10 AM)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my