Home: Breed Specific: Gundog Group:
Is there something wrong with my GR

Bumper
Dog Kichi

Jan 19, 2004, 9:36 PM

Post #1 of 25 (3153 views)
Shortcut
Is there something wrong with my GR Can't Post

1. He's losing more hair than usual. Is it molting season?

2. He's been itchier since I switched him to Pro Plan. Allergy, or coincidentally he's got a skin problem from other sources?

3. The Sebhazol anti-bacterial wash once got rid of itchiness near the armpits, now it doesn't seem to help. Demodex (mange) has been ruled out twice by two doctors.

I'm very worried. I want my dog to be comfortable. I would love him even if he went Botak but I don't like seeing him uncomfortable and scratchy.

I don't feed him toxic foods like grapes, berries or chocolates.

He doesn't have mites/fleas either so I've ruled out mite/flea bites as causes of itchiness.

I also know that causes of allergies are hard to determine.

Anyone got any idea as to how to help my dog?
When I Grow Up I Wanna Be a Dog

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 20, 2004, 1:01 AM

Post #2 of 25 (3147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bumper] Is there something wrong with my GR [In reply to] Can't Post

hi bumper

you've mentioned that he's been itchier since you switched him to Pro Plan. Allergy to the new food is possible - like itchiness, hair dropping are among some of it symptoms.

I switched my dog's food to 1st Choice last time, and he immediately has rashes on his armpits and i was told that the bakteria spreaded to several parts of the body, thus causing itchiness.

Initially we took him to the vet, got him a jab, some cream to apply and Malaseb sensitive skin shampoo to wash. we also switched food and the itchiness stopped instantly.

perhaps you might want to start switching food for a start?

regards,
hunter

Bumper
Dog Kichi

Jan 20, 2004, 7:24 AM

Post #3 of 25 (3143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Is there something wrong with my GR [In reply to] Can't Post

Thx for your reply Hunter.

Allergies are tough aren't they?

I've been following the thread under skin conditions/hot spots. It's terrible to have to see dogs suffer. And not have a vet be able to help fully.

Would you know a pet store in KL (or a few) that sell holistic dog foods like Eagle Pack, Canidae and B2B?

Judging from the thread under nutrition and diet, I'm thinking of DIY as well, you know, mixing raw and kibble foods. But staying far far away from "deceptive" dog food brands.

Thanks once again! :D

boon
Doggyman

Jan 20, 2004, 7:49 AM

Post #4 of 25 (3142 views)
Shortcut

Hi Bumper,

Any reason that u switched the dog food from Nutro (if not mistaken) to Proplan ? if your dog is doing ok with Nutro, then i don see any sensible reason for you ti switch his dog food.

If he is bored of the food, u may want to mixed with some meat/yogurt or sometime water will do the trick.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 20, 2004, 9:23 AM

Post #5 of 25 (3141 views)
Shortcut

mmm from boon's post, i assume that you've been switching bumper's food often because he lacks appetite?

if that is so, i've had exactly the same problem with hunter last time. we switched like 5 brands within a year, and my poor dog ended up with rashes - coz the food just don't suit him. anyway, my point is, switching food often for a food picky dog is definitely not a long term solution. i've been there, done that for 2 years. my dog is the pickiest GR you might ever seen.

perhaps i shouldn't put it as allergies... it might just be other reasons too. I've heard from a kibble distributor that 1st choice has higher protein levels than other brands, thus some dogs couldn't take it and have similar symptoms like hunter. i've also heard dogs having problem with pro plan, or eukanuba, or other brands, various reasons. some dogs could take it, some dogs just can't.

perhaps it's just about finding the right brand that suits your dog. what was the reason you switched food in the first place? was nutro bringing problems, or is bumper just a picky eater? as boon suggested, u can mix yoghurt (original flavor.. 'bout one table spoon a meal) with the kibbles to boost up appetite.

just to share my experience, we added yoghurt in hunter's food for about 1 year..first yoghurt was given at a regular basis, as in, every meal... then we cut it down to only one meal a day, then to few days once. since we added yoghurt we no longer face the hassle of switching brands.

anyway, not too long ago a miracle happened. a night stay at the vet's clinic, and when he's back, he finishes every meal without being called! his yoghurt days are over (for good, i hope). until now i'm still trying hard to figure out what did the vet do to make him eat. maybe he was traumatized by the stay and feel that home's kibbles is the best :/

it's a long process to feed a food picky dog. patience, patience :) sorry, but i can't help with the pet stores that sell eagle pack, canidae and B2B coz I don't know any.. personally i prefer giving just kibbles to my dog, simply because it's convenient, clean and all needed basic nutrietients are packed in together. not all kibbles are that bad... I'm feeding Innova now, which they say is human grade food with good ingredients. worked fine until today.

mmm. talked too much today :/

regards,
hunter

Bumper
Dog Kichi

Jan 20, 2004, 7:37 PM

Post #6 of 25 (3138 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Is there something wrong with my GR [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Boon,

I actually had him on Nutro Lamb n Rice for Pups for close to 6 months. He was previously on Bill-Jac for his first four months.

He actually lost appetite after being on Nutro L&R for so long.

"Recommended vet" suggested "possible gastro-intenstinal problems" and gave him appetite enhancer. Especially since we noticed that he would sometimes"vomit" a little bit (mostly water with dark bits from the food)

Refused to touch it still after that.

At that time, I wasn't really sure about BARF - you know, adding a variety of vegies like carrots, raw/slightly cooked mince, yoghurt or necks to his kibble.

actually did suggest yoghurt and raw egg to me before. And I have been giving him egg and alternating between kibble and canned puppy meat, and kibble and microwaved chicken breast that's mashed.

I kinda decided to switch to Pro Plan not by choice. Couldn't find Canidae or B2B where I thought I would be able to find it. So PP seemed the next best thing.

Anyway, this decision to change also coincided with the time I followed the thread on how Nutro has changed companies and stuff. I know it's not fair to generalise that all big brand dog foods are "deceptive". But you know how it is - the furkid can't talk LOL, so scratching more than usual tells me I should be a little more observant and ready to isolate the problem.

Sigh, if only I knew what was on the little fella's mind.

boon
Doggyman

Jan 20, 2004, 7:44 PM

Post #7 of 25 (3136 views)
Shortcut

Hi Bumper,

R u from cheras ? may be ying should be able to help you where to get canidae or b2b or other holistic food like innova and eagle holistic.

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

Bumper
Dog Kichi

Jan 20, 2004, 7:49 PM

Post #8 of 25 (3136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Is there something wrong with my GR [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha ha.

Hey Hunter, we've got picky eaters.

Don't worry, I haven't switched a lot. Only from Bill-Jacs to Nutro to now Pro Plan. But as you will read in the above to Boon, Pro Plan was just incidental. Couldn't find B2B or Canidae so thought I wld "buy time" with this first pack until I found those.

I wld've just kept him on Nutro still but lil fella dun wan.

Not even with real chicken bits in it all mashed together.

However, when time comes for human dinner, suddenly the lil fella will be excited.

Your vet sounds pretty good. Got magic trick to make him eat well again all of a sudden!

I guess from all the postings on Nutrition and Diet, it looks like most seasoned dog owners/breeders REALLY add variety to their dogs' foods.as in a LOT OF stuff, ha ha.

Maybe I'm not being adventurous enough for the lil fella.I'm pretty mucy only extrememly worried about the itching.

It's always the hind leg scratching the part behind/under the front legs. Every 15 minutes or less, scratch. (Unless playing or chewing bone).

Notice also he now suns himself. (He usually HATES sun). So I'm suspecting that's his own DIY way of keeping itch at bay.

Malaseb is not working.:(

Bumper
Dog Kichi

Jan 20, 2004, 7:53 PM

Post #9 of 25 (3135 views)
Shortcut

Oh okay, any way I can contact "Ying"?

Should I just check out pther threads for contact?

I appreciate the tip.

Thanks!

boon
Doggyman

Jan 20, 2004, 8:01 PM

Post #10 of 25 (3133 views)
Shortcut

@streamyx.com

xyne
Doggyman

Jan 29, 2004, 7:35 PM

Post #11 of 25 (3111 views)
Shortcut

if ever got a most popular member... i think it has to go to lerr.. heheheee.. so wanted... LaughSly

hats off to our 'tai-kah'cheh' ...

Wink

(This post was edited by xyne on Jan 29, 2004, 7:43 PM)

xyne
Doggyman

Jan 29, 2004, 7:42 PM

Post #12 of 25 (3109 views)
Shortcut

hi lisa...
hope bumper is relieved form the itch liao...

my vet says if the dog is doing ok with the food, stick with it.
what he does (I tried n it works) is he gives the food at a specific time of the day. This is so that they are used to the timing and when the time is up, their tummy will excrete acid and signal them 'hunger'. just like us humans...
If they refuse to eat in the next 30 mins.. take away the food and feed only the next meal time. After awhile..they will succumb n become less picky.

My dogs use to give me so much headache with kibbles... they feel its not yummy...now they just gobble everything n still wagging their tails...

Tongue

Bumper
Dog Kichi

Jan 29, 2004, 11:28 PM

Post #13 of 25 (3101 views)
Shortcut
Re: [xyne] Is there something wrong with my GR [In reply to] Can't Post

hullo xyne,

thnx for your concern.

i tell u, it's difficult to find a "good" vet these days.

but thnx to ying, i found one near our place where the experience of treating doggies with skin problems really helps.

this vet says that bumper might be allergic to chicken. so now the little fella is on a fish n rice diet.

but because past vets cldn't diagnose anything wrong, the time that has passed has left him with a skin infection.

so aside from fish n rice diet, he also kena two jabs and is now on medication.

i'm not sure it'll work. because i own an encylopedia of "how to take care of dogs". it features many tips on illnesses, how to diagnose and stuff.

so if this current treatment doesn't work, i'm afraid the problem is bigger than just food allergy.

for example, when i combine all the symptoms for the past three months, these are what I notice:

a) pants easily (even after 20 minute walk n sometimes even on rainy days)

b) lethargic during the day

c) hair falls off easily but mostly from body, not head or legs.

d) drinks a LOT, pees a lot more often.

If I want to frighten myself I would actually believe that another possibility in the case of Bumper is -an underactive thyroid problem which GR's are prone to.

I hope not, though. I dun mind if he loses his hair but i dun want him to be miserable.

BTW, I understand the kibble dilemma most doggy owners have. Quite terrible haha.

Bumper has to stick with lamb n rice after this strict diet.

Thnks again!

xyne
Doggyman

Jan 30, 2004, 12:52 AM

Post #14 of 25 (3100 views)
Shortcut

ohh noo...ShockedShocked

i have heard tat lamb n rice meals r very good for dog's sensitive skin...
sounds serious leh.. did u ask the vet about the problem? get a second opinion from another vet if u have to. better not wait n guess.. poor little baby! imagine feeling the pain but not able to voice it out..healthy just as they r... so i really cant tell...
Frown

So far, all my dogs have never gotten any allergies..they seem to be healthy just as they r... so i really cant tell...

a client of mine had a dog with distemper tho...and instead of putting it down, she tried this herbalist from cheras n her dog healed...
perhaps when all fails.. u can let me know..we can try this??

(This post was edited by xyne on Jan 30, 2004, 12:56 AM)

Bumper
Dog Kichi

Jan 31, 2004, 10:53 PM

Post #15 of 25 (3094 views)
Shortcut

Hey there Xyne,

:) So nice of you to offer the herbalist solution. Heh.

I wonder how it works!

Actually Bumper has had three vets' opinions.

They kept telling me nothing wrong, the fella is healthy, maybe he's changing coat, etc.

Only recently the third vet said got skin infection possibly due to allergy.

Yeah, lamb n rice usually good for sensitive doggies.

I had to change from Nutro lamb n rice because supplies didn't arrive when they were supposed to, at the petshop I usually go to.

didn't think the Pro Plan chicken would harm him.

since he had no problems eating Bil-jac chicken when he was a tiny ball of fur.

actually i think we switched him to lamb n rice after 3 months of the Bil-jac chicken.

maybe that time he hadn't developed allergy.

the past two days he seems back to normal. more frisky and more like normal-bumper compared to the chinese new year period.

Of course, the fireworks didn't help then ha ha. He refused to go out into the garden and just looked sad and sorry for himself for 3 days. (And also the "Pai Teen Koong" day - a lot of Hokkiens in Cheras that's why.)

So glad your doggies are completely healthy and doing fine. It's so "charm" to see them in pain or in super itchy mode.

xyne
Doggyman

Feb 3, 2004, 7:17 PM

Post #16 of 25 (3085 views)
Shortcut

try the supplements for bumper too.. it seems alot of members also use all sorts of oils..primrose, etc...
I tried this professional oil supplement on my dogs and it has shown tremendous improvements in their skin n hair growth. It seems they help balance the dog's system or wat not... why not u give it a try?

my boxer has sensitive skin too.. (dogs this range seems to have problems) ... he is doing better now with harvey to lick his belly.. heheheee

my mom says if u dont over spoil the dog.. they will become tougher.. heeheee... maybe tats why they r still kicking n being jolly happy no matter wat they eat.. kakakaa

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 4, 2004, 9:42 PM

Post #17 of 25 (3077 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
if ever got a most popular member... i think it has to go to lerr.. heheheee.. so wanted... LaughSly

hats off to our 'tai-kah'cheh' ...

Wink

Ah~ Amy, now only i read your msg here.... Winkheheheheh..... just happened that I know where's Bumper staying (very very near to my house) and I've seen him in a handsome look. So, cannot tahan when seeing him losing his leng-chai hairs....Unsure

hey~ you staying near cheras area? maybe we can have a small get together for GRs. how how??TongueWink

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 4, 2004, 9:48 PM

Post #18 of 25 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Hi Lisa~

So any updates about Bumper Boy?
how's the progress now? any improvement on his skin and coat?

Mmm... when will be the good time to stop by your house. Need to pass you the supplement and also to visit BumBum~Wink

xyne
Doggyman

Feb 4, 2004, 11:24 PM

Post #19 of 25 (3074 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Is there something wrong with my GR [In reply to] Can't Post

haahhhaaa.a.. finally u found us here... there's no hiding form u now eh??? kekekeeeeeWink

no lahh... i stay in PJ... if not sure looooooong ago i storm into your house with harvey n kiss lerrrrr Tongue

wouldnt tat b nice hor... *wishful* *wishful*

Bumper
Dog Kichi

Feb 5, 2004, 7:20 AM

Post #20 of 25 (3066 views)
Shortcut

dear ying,

am watching Bumper boy reeeeal close.

medication finishes tomorrow.

if his hair still drops, i will be WORRIED.

his mood has picked up from CNY.

his appetite is crazy now. forever hungry, even after 4 cups of fish kibbles (two meals) WITH one cup of boiled rice added some more.

hope it's not Cushing's Disease. coz:

a) he pants easily

b) drinks a lot

c) losing hair from body not legs/head

d) forever hungry

am a bit scared but i'll b patient till friday.

wanna visit him on friday actually? should b back from work by 9pm.can get vit. supplement of you then too :)

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 5, 2004, 8:21 AM

Post #21 of 25 (3064 views)
Shortcut

Friday night... should be okay.
sms me when u are ready, then i goto your place~Smile

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 5, 2004, 8:24 AM

Post #22 of 25 (3062 views)
Shortcut

well~ PJ amd Cheras, within KL area mah..... can meet up anytime.Wink if not, pls make sure u'll come for the next gathering.

xyne
Doggyman

Feb 6, 2004, 7:11 PM

Post #23 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

is bumper doing any better???

xyne
Doggyman

Feb 6, 2004, 7:13 PM

Post #24 of 25 (3050 views)
Shortcut

yes yes... let's meet for the retrievers party.. it'll be wonderful...
bring mack mack n beanbean's baby pics n show us then la...

Wink

mackmack
Doggyman

Feb 7, 2004, 1:54 AM

Post #25 of 25 (3045 views)
Shortcut

let's see how the party list goes.Wink

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my