Distemper Suspect

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

chaichai
Novice

Jul 16, 2003, 6:51 PM

Post #1 of 32 (22167 views)
Shortcut
Distemper Suspect Can't Post

hello to all seniors....this is not a very cheerful greeting, coz here's a sad mummy I just had Shih Tzu, Chai Chai (2 mths old) frm this PuppyLand in Pg. 3 days later, he started coughing, sneezing & diarrhaea...doctor suspects it's a distemper virul. So I sent him back to the shop few days after coz he lost appetite even for can food. His health condition has improved a lot since he's in petshop...still abit coughing though...i have decided to leave him there until his 1st jab over and stable. Has anyone had the similiar experience & would like to share/advise?
eLAiNe & Chai Chai

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Jul 17, 2003, 6:34 AM

Post #2 of 32 (22154 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chaichai] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your puppy. My puppy, Bubbles had distemper also. It started with coughing, runny nose, diarrhea..there was also some blood in her diarrhea too. Then she had severe conjuctivitis (both her eyes turned completely blue!!)...loss of appetite...I had taken her to a vet but as her condition worsened, he still could not diagnose her condition....then I took her to another vet and we then found out what was really wrong with her after doing some blood test. I was told by vet that one of the symptoms, is the hardening of their paws too. Bubbles lost a great deal of weight too and I started feeding her on boiled chicken meat...and anything her little heart desired.She was off kibbles for months and I tried various types of can dog food on her too.

It took us months...with many visits to vet, antibiotics, vitamins and lots of love and "manjaing"....but Bubbles managed to pull through. She is well and happy again. Is Chai Chai on antibiotics now?Was he given a blood test? How is the Petshop handling him? Bubbles have missed her first jab due to her sickness and by the 5th month it was too late for the 1st jab and just proceeded with the 2nd jab and 3rd jab. I do hope the petshop is taking care of her well..and hopefully it is not distemper. Best of luck

(This post was edited by Pebbles on Jul 17, 2003, 6:39 AM)

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

Jul 17, 2003, 12:37 PM

Post #3 of 32 (22149 views)
Shortcut

hey there,

distemper is a serious threat to dogs..however,don't give up on finding a way to cure your chaichai....cuz the chances are he might be able to pull it through and it won't be that difficult...go ahead and get some vets consultation cuz they are the ones to provide you with the best possible prescription and advice...

my rott had distemper...even tho not confirmed but i suspected it...cuz he had exactly the same symptoms..anyway,he's well again now...so i won't touch on that or find troubles with the vet...as for your case, there's a chance of survival...my mom fed my rott some of her meds...Unsurethis may sound silly but it really did cure him!!!So now you see,a lot you can do besides seeing him in pain...

good luck...
Meme

odie moves MY world!

chaichai
Novice

Jul 17, 2003, 6:19 PM

Post #4 of 32 (22144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [strawhoney] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

Pebbles & strawhoney, 10q so much on your sharing.... 2 very successful examples that really boost up my confidence. Well, chaichai situation is much better now...playful and good appetite, glad to see him grown fatter 2!! letz hope he can cope wth his 1st jab easily and stay healthy. I visit him everyday in the shop...they told me they r going to bath him today... abit worry but should be ok huh? no fever.
eLAiNe & Chai Chai

khsin
Dog Kichi

Jul 18, 2003, 1:16 AM

Post #5 of 32 (22135 views)
Shortcut

Hi chaichai,

So glad to hear that your doggie is getting better now. Good luck! Hope he'll be all well again and will be able to go home soon.

Cheers!Wink

khsin

snowflake
Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2003, 2:49 AM

Post #6 of 32 (22133 views)
Shortcut

Hi elaine,

My previous puppy died bcos of distemper, too late to send him to vet, now still very regret, hope ur chai chai can recover soon then u may bring him to gathering as well, gd luck to u n chai chaiSmile

0""0
( 'o')")
~S.n.o.w.F.l.a.k.E~

icezcream
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 18, 2003, 9:11 AM

Post #7 of 32 (22128 views)
Shortcut
Re: [snowflake] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there.sorry to hear about what distemper did to your pups and dogs.
if the breeders/petshops who sold you the sick puppies,you can actually ask for a refund.if they refuse, you can actually bring the case up to Tribunal Claim Court.For further information,you can consult them..i'll try to get the contact and location..

-= There are no bad breeds, just bad breeding=-

Got Dalmatian??Click Here..
Got Mixed Breed??Click here...

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

Jul 18, 2003, 11:13 PM

Post #8 of 32 (22123 views)
Shortcut

good news good news...what a good news...Laugh

GOOD LUCK ya....take care of your doggie...bring him to the vet for followups...
Meme

odie moves MY world!

chaichai
Novice

Jul 19, 2003, 1:04 AM

Post #9 of 32 (22117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [icezcream] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

wah, so touching that many plp concern about chaichai...he'll definite be better knowing so many ko ko che che care about him. Bring to court? mm...but i don't know how to prove that he's got it frm the shop wor....anyway, i trust chaichai will be ok. Hope that solution won't be neccessary. :) Tq all again. will update u to the forum when he comes back Wink
eLAiNe & Chai Chai

amandawong
Dog Kichi

Jul 24, 2003, 9:52 PM

Post #10 of 32 (22101 views)
Shortcut

Hi chaichai's owner...

I hope chaichai is better now. Can i ask you why you put chaichai back to the petshop? Ok, what i got to know that Puppyland import thai dogs where they actually have this type of disease that cannot be cured here. Heard it from several breeders and ppl. I think the best way is to take chaichai back and stay with u but under supervision from vet. Let me know chaichai's condition, yeah?

Trivor
K9 Servant

Jul 25, 2003, 4:00 PM

Post #11 of 32 (22091 views)
Shortcut

hello Elaine,
Sooo sorry to hear that!!!! Oh no!! Another distemper case...Frown
When I 1st brought Trivor home, she was sneezing and coughing, yellow-green discharge from nose... Vet suspected she engaged distemper virul but luckily that was canine cough. She recovered after 3 weeks... thank GOD!!
Pls don't buy form pet shop. The puppies could be from puppy mills which gurantee not healthy. Afterall, the source is unknown.
wish Chai HCai bounce back into action soon!!!

~ Trivor ~
~ SC & Low, mama and dada ~

BaoBao
Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2003, 8:52 AM

Post #12 of 32 (22076 views)
Shortcut

how is ur chai chai now?? hopes he's getting better..Angelic
remember to not to let him mix w/ other dogs coz i heard it spreads..Frown

FYI, if u've been to petshops and u've played w/ the dogs, wash ur hands before u hug/cuddle chai chai...coz u never know what sort of virus(Pirate) u brought home!

dj2002
New User

Oct 3, 2003, 6:38 PM

Post #13 of 32 (22017 views)
Shortcut
Re: [strawhoney] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

meme,

My dog Lucky has Distemper, what medications (that were your moms) did you give to your dog? I'm running out of time and options, at this point I'll try anything to save Lucky!!!!! Please help!!!!!

Thank you,

Dj2002Frown

strawhoney
K9 Maniac

Oct 4, 2003, 2:06 PM

Post #14 of 32 (22005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dj2002] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry to hear that and for getting back to you this late..

well, my mom fed my rott her own med...so you probably need a doctor to pescribe it...and btw, where do you live?You can come and ask my mom if she still has some...send an email to me at strawhoney@hotmail.com
Meme

odie moves MY world!

doodle
ALPHA

Jan 20, 2004, 8:03 PM

Post #15 of 32 (21903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pebbles] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello.

My basset has loss his appetite too and is getting thinner. We took him the vet and took some blood test. It seems that his white cell blood is more than his red. His gum is pale.

I don't notice the diarrhoea but the stool is dark.

I m not sure whether he can make it or not but your story gave me some hope.

The vet says give him boiled chicken meat too but doodle eat so little.

I just come to a point where I do not know how to decide. Very restless.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 20, 2004, 10:30 PM

Post #16 of 32 (21902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doodle] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ... sorry to hear ... Unsure

Did your vet explain what is wrong and what treatment did the vet prescribe? ...

Regards

Khoobg
Webmaster

Jan 21, 2004, 8:45 AM

Post #17 of 32 (21893 views)
Shortcut

The excess of white blood cell indicate that doodle is having some sort of infection. In such difficult time, doodle will definitely loss apetite. Most important of all, does doodle has any severe discharge (green colour) from nose and eye ? If not then it may not be distemper after all.

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

doodle
ALPHA

Jan 24, 2004, 9:34 AM

Post #18 of 32 (21873 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg, surchinmy] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello all

Happy Chinese New Year!
First of all, thank you for your concern. I was very restless and agitated cause I really didn't know what to do. I had to force feed doodle each day and it's very tiring. Especially when the result is to see him throwing everything out again.

I took him to another vet and the result is tremendously different!

The 2nd vet(Dr. B) suspected blood parasite and the way he said it wasn't that alarming afterall. The first vet(Dr. A) told me about previous dog which died that day itself because of distemper! I panicked!

Dr. B gave prescribed me a antibody course (which is very expensive) and it worked! Now doodle is jumping up and down and barking at everyone! He is very active now and back to himself again. Not too sure whether he has completely healed but it's definately a good sign! Dr. B said the reason for the blood parasite is that it could be a flea bite that is infected. Doodle has been playing with this stray dog but I am not sure whether that's the reason.

I am so relieved now and could now rest peacefully. Ahhhhhhhhh......

Wink

nathalie
Doggyman

Jan 25, 2004, 11:01 PM

Post #19 of 32 (21865 views)
Shortcut

Smilecongrats..it's good news for both u n all those ppl with sick dogs out there.

we r glad to have a happy n healthy doodle n meichen back with us.

happy chinese new year Smile

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 29, 2004, 3:44 AM

Post #20 of 32 (21850 views)
Shortcut

Glad to know that u actually seek second opinion from another vet and Doodle is recovering!

Cheers~Smile

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

doodle
ALPHA

Jan 29, 2004, 8:24 AM

Post #21 of 32 (21843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

yup yup yup!

Yippe hurray!

Cool

Pebbles
Dog Kichi

Jan 30, 2004, 11:14 PM

Post #22 of 32 (21837 views)
Shortcut

Hi there, I'm so glad to hear that your little fella is well again.I know how you must have felt then and now!! Bubbles, my little distemper survivor is well, active and extremely naughty! Due to all that months of manja, and really yummy dog food, she is now a very fussy little eater. I have changed her dog kibbles a thousand times and now, I'm mixing her kibbles with a little canned dog food. Even the type of canned food, she is very fussy with!! I know, I should not let her be too fussy, but when I tried the "eat it or nothing at all" technic, she always wins...I do not have the heart to see her not eating at all.......sigh...........Pirate

doodle
ALPHA

Feb 2, 2004, 9:21 PM

Post #23 of 32 (21824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Pebbles] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

hello

I am very glad and relieved when doodle is eating well again. He was very weak and thin few weeks ago. But suprisingly, he is not fussy over his food. Now, he ate 2 times more than previous and didn't mind whether it is kibbles or canned food. Either way, he loves them all!

Very active now and even barks at the rain!

Cool

de_jun
Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2004, 6:24 AM

Post #24 of 32 (21652 views)
Shortcut

Hi all,

i've heard of distemper many many many times before but never really know the systoms...

can any one of u pls tell me wht are the systoms if a dog is suspected with distemper?

is a dog with full vaccination able to catch distemper?

thanks...

Wanna to be a member of Poodles' Friendly Gang? Pls click here !
Poodles' Friendly Gang List
Daisy and PhoebeSmile

doodle
ALPHA

Mar 28, 2004, 5:45 AM

Post #25 of 32 (21646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [de_jun] Distemper Suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

hi de_jun
I am not really sure what is for sure causes distemper or signs that dogs are suspected with it.
But one thing for sure is lack of appetite. My doodle doesn't want to drink and his gum were pale. Perhaps you would like to surf more about it from the internet?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my