Home: Behavioral Problems: Behavioural Issues - General:
Puppy likes people too much!

Wookie'sMom
New User

Jan 21, 2004, 7:01 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1043 views)
Shortcut
Puppy likes people too much! Can't Post

I can't get my puppy to calm down around people! He thinks everyone exists simply to be his playmate. Everytime someone comes over, he jumps and licks all over them. He's usually pretty well-behaved, but he doesn't listen at all when there are other people around. Walking him has become really frustrating because he tries to run after and play with every person he can see. What should I do to get him to focus?

aragorn2976
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 21, 2004, 8:20 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1042 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wookie'sMom] Puppy likes people too much! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there!!

Hmmm.... Looks like you've got a very excited pup there... Tongue

Anyway, have you taught your pup to "sit" and "stay" yet? These are fundamental obedience commands that your pup should know. If your pup has mastered this, another important command is to teach "wait". This is so that your pup will know that he has to wait before he can greet the person.

Also, another tip. How do you greet your pup whenever you meet him? I.e. When you are away and come from a place, does your pup rush up to lick or jump at you?

If so, you must teach your pup that this is not the proper way of greeting a person (that is, if you do not like your pup to jump at you). So, you must command your pup to "sit", "stay" or "wait" before you pet or touch your dog.

Has your pup been trained on a leash? It is best to keep your pup leashed when a person comes to the house. This is so that you get some control over him.

Anyway, be patient. The pup is naturally curious at everything he or she sees. So, training is necc for him now.. TongueTongue

Hope this helps.. Am sure other members have better ideas... Crazy

Good luck!

Join the JRT Zone

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God. - 1 John 4:7 (Oofy's motto)

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jan 22, 2004, 3:56 AM

Post #3 of 3 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wookie'sMom] Puppy likes people too much! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Cool

Looks like you've got a really playful pup. How old is he?

Anyway,aragorn's ideas are pretty good.

First teach him that pulling on the leash is unacceptable. Teach him a command "leave it". After that,teach him the sit command.

Later when both the commands are solid in his mind,let him "greet" ppl on leash first. The leash is just there for a little restrainment. Gv him the sit command.Let him hv a second to realize his actions(an excited dog would hv only one thing in his mind-the thing that's causing the excitement.lol) Once he's sat down,let the guest pet him. If he gets up and tries to jump on them,ask your friend to leave and tell him no sternly. Do not jerk him on the leash or anything. The leash is there so that he would not be able to follow ur guest. Make sure of course the leash is short enough so that he cannot jump on the guest.

In the house,repeat this. Later on,you can try without the leash. Tell him to sit,and then pet/gv attention/praise. If he still jumps, tell him "no" as a warning. If still jumping,bring him away frm the guest.

Good luck!Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my