Qualified Vet to do Hip Score

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 25, 2003, 6:55 AM

Post #1 of 45 (21612 views)
Shortcut
Qualified Vet to do Hip Score Can't Post

Anyone knows of any vet who is qualified and recognised by FCI to do hip xray and scoring?

If there are any vet's here to comment would be much appreciated. thanks

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

PSD
ALPHA

Sep 25, 2003, 7:54 PM

Post #2 of 45 (21597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone?

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

boon
Doggyman

Dec 27, 2003, 8:51 AM

Post #3 of 45 (21560 views)
Shortcut

hehehhe, guessed u did that already right. Tongue

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 29, 2003, 9:39 PM

Post #4 of 45 (21539 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

Well Boon,

I'm actually still looking. Looking for a place where they can do scoring like those accepted by SV or OFA. Still cannot find. Nearest place is Singapore. Hopefully local vets can upgrade themselves, sure got good business one....lol

PSD

boon
Doggyman

Dec 29, 2003, 9:49 PM

Post #5 of 45 (21538 views)
Shortcut

Hahhaha yeah, good biz.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

nathalie
Doggyman

Dec 29, 2003, 10:26 PM

Post #6 of 45 (21536 views)
Shortcut

Smilehi,

when my lab was suspected of having hd previously, the vet has referred me to a vet in KL to do the surgery but i'm not sure whether it's qualified or not. my fren's doberman went to KL as his doberman was having kneecap problems n he came back saying that the vets referred were not convincing thus he did not get the surgery done to his doberman....if u really want i can check out for u which vet is that.

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 29, 2003, 10:36 PM

Post #7 of 45 (21535 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

Nat,

Thanks for the offer. If you happen to ask then just ask if they are qualified to rate hips under "OFA" or "Pen-Hip" scoring that is internationally recognised.

Those are something which is used to check for any possible genetic HD developing. Much of a tool for those people into high performance sports, Service dog or professional breeders.

Most vets just used the xray to confirm once the condition already develop symtoms prior to surgery, only a very minor handful really qualified to score the hips. thanksSmile and let us know your findings.

PSD

nathalie
Doggyman

Jan 9, 2004, 10:38 PM

Post #8 of 45 (21498 views)
Shortcut

hi,

finally got an answer from the vet.

they recommended me to Dr Siva in Animal medical center and Dr Rashid or Dr Lokman in UPM Serdang

the have a vast experience of 15 years but without OFA. he told me that if i'm looking for a vet with OFA, i may have to go to Austarlia..coz recently there are none in S'pore.

hope it helps

Zoe
Novice

Jan 13, 2004, 9:36 AM

Post #9 of 45 (21488 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nathalie] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

FYI, I never visited Dr S of Animal Medical Center anymore ever since Dr Prem Anand left to start up his own practice. Personally, I do not have an 'invigorating' experience with good Dr. S. AMC pricing is also a major factor for my shift.

Zoe is due for an X-ray with Dr. Prem. I'd rate Zoe to be 1/2 HD as I think she got one leg due to an accident at a young age, not genetic. Zoe is not even 2yrs old.

AFAIK, we have v poor vet support for HD in Msia. Surgery is done at UPM Serdang but this is just to relieve the pain by removing stuffs. Reason given is the cost of equipment needed to fix HD problems.

I'm still waiting for a vet who'll bring in such equipment and offer HD corrective surgery in Msia. Yes, I too was referred to vets in Australia.

If anyone here knows better, pray tell.

Kowpa

Jan 13, 2004, 9:44 AM

Post #10 of 45 (21487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zoe] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

Is very very expensive to correct HD for a pair of socket joint cost thousands of $ US Better but a new dog rather than HD repair

nathalie
Doggyman

Jan 13, 2004, 10:34 AM

Post #11 of 45 (21486 views)
Shortcut

Smilehi,

Kowpa is rite....i asked the vet n he told me that even if a corrective surgery is performed, it does not mean that ur dog is 100% cure...the surgery is done to alleviate the pain in future. he also told me that if u want to do it seriously..better prepare around 10K esp if u r doing it in Auz.

At the bright side, i have a fren who's lab just passed away recently at 13 also with HD but he died due 2 old age n not the HD. he was still living in good health n regardless to say can still walk n run. her secret

-proper food plus recommended supplements & mild excercise

To be honest, i'm not really convinced with both the recommended vets but the condition of my lab is improving, so as long as i keep her weight i hope she'll be fine. Smile

PSD
ALPHA

Jan 13, 2004, 5:50 PM

Post #12 of 45 (21484 views)
Shortcut

Zoe,

I'm sorry to hear of your dog. As much as we liked it to be, we have to face the fact that once HD happens, there is not a chance for a 100% cure. Is your dog able to walk normally without grimacing in pain? If he does then suplimentation with Glucosamine and Chondroitin will help. Add in the diet the soft raw bones and cartilage parts without cooking. Hopefully that will be able to sustain him. If however he is unable to walk at all.....then u have a very tough choice.

PSD

comel23
Novice

Jan 13, 2004, 8:58 PM

Post #13 of 45 (21478 views)
Shortcut

Zoe

My Rotti has HD and ED (elbow). When I was first informed by a vet, their recommendation was surgery and as you have said there is no quarantee.... I then went to get another opinion from a vet in UPM, and he is much more experienced, plus he gave me many many alternatives. Unfortunately he left a couple of months later for overseas and that was the last time I went to UPM. I did a lot of research, and fortunately I don't have to get her to surgery as I put her on supplements everyday and avoid any situations where she will be feeling the pain (after jumping and slipping). I also controlled her diet and maintain her weight. Alternatively when her HD is acting quite bad, I will give Cosequin for a month and maintain her afterwards with my other supplements.

She can be cranky though - I think she needs to go for aromatheraphy massage and pain management counselling...he...he.... Cool However, she still gets lots of kisses and hugs from me everyday and I think that helps a lot.Sly
Cheers Everyone

"Love Your Dog and You'll Be Loved Unconditionally"

Zoe
Novice

Jan 14, 2004, 10:40 AM

Post #14 of 45 (21468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [comel23] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all,

Thanx for the concern.

I understand that surgery in Msia will just alleviate the pain and will still walk funny. And yes, ball-socket repair in Aust (the nearest place) is v costly. And no! 'Better to get another dog' is not an option.

Zoe is only showing HD symptoms on just one leg. Most probably due to a nasty accident when v tiny (6 wks old). She walks ducky but when she increases speed, she'll just jump slightly (as if to adjust her ball joint) and then trots like a normal dog. This is after taking supplements.

Yes, Zoe's on Glucosamine HCL (not sulphate) daily, since 6-mth old. We have like 3 yrs supply of it. No Cosequin tho (my vet carries it). Several brands, most with shark cartilage & sea cucumber. And we watch her weight real carefully. No rough play. Normal jumping up car back seats & sofa and climbing stairs once, twice a day. Before Glucosamine, she's reluctant to do all these.

She hasnt been x-rayed yet. I just dont see any point right now. What can the x-ray do except to confirm things which we've already assume and is taking action?

She still does bound around when out for walks but not too much - no leash, she'll rather correct her bad leg and trot along. I'll still carry her leash just in case a confrontation situation happens along.

We also carpet up some areas of the house and always play with her there.

We're still hoping that she'll recover her bad leg given time but we're prepared for if she doesnt.

Our regards to all.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 15, 2004, 10:16 PM

Post #15 of 45 (21462 views)
Shortcut

Hello ... Smile ...

Understand and appreciate exactly what you mean by ... "get another dog is not an option" ... As long as the dog is not in constant or severe pain ... and as long has the disability does not prevent your dog from enjoying her life ...

I've heard of a product called "Sasha's Blend" from New Zealand ... formulated from green lipped mussel and shark cartilage ... Supposedly very effective and good for hips etc ...

If you are interested, I can try and get more infomation ...

If I may suggest ... you might consider doing the X-ray ... even if it's just for confirmation ...

First, you will confirm it's definitely a hip issue and nothing else. Sometimes, even with the closest of external observation, we can be mistaken ... Second, knowing the extent or severity of the problem ... will help determine the kind of precautions required ...

All the best ... Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Jan 15, 2004, 10:21 PM)

Riccaval
ALPHA

Jan 15, 2004, 11:04 PM

Post #16 of 45 (21457 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi SK,

Your "Green Lipped Mussel" caught my eyes.
I was recommended by DR.G from UPM on the above but for different purposes.

Do you mind getting some infor on this. I'm suppose to get it for one of my boys but not for hip problems.

ThanksSmile

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 15, 2004, 11:10 PM

Post #17 of 45 (21455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Riccaval] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

... sure thing ... will check up ... make some enquiries and email the info to you ...

Cheers

Riccaval
ALPHA

Jan 15, 2004, 11:20 PM

Post #18 of 45 (21453 views)
Shortcut

Smilethanks a heap

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 16, 2004, 1:17 AM

Post #19 of 45 (21446 views)
Shortcut

Check these out ...

http://www.sashasblend.com.au/usage.html

http://www.vetstop.com.au/Info/sasha.htm

Our breeder friends in Australia are using the supplement ... they seem to think its quite good ...

Cheers Smile

Riccaval
ALPHA

Jan 16, 2004, 8:29 PM

Post #20 of 45 (21437 views)
Shortcut

yup....they all say its good for the joint . Have you ever heard that it was good for fertilityCrazy.....that was what I was recommended....hmmmm

CheersCool

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 17, 2004, 2:17 AM

Post #21 of 45 (21430 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

Have only heard of it being used to assist with skeletal issues ... not fertility ... But then, I generally don't pay much attention to breeding issues, so, maybe it didn't register with me ... Smile ...

Will ask around and see what I can dig up ...

Cheers

kasthuri
Novice

Jul 17, 2004, 1:56 AM

Post #22 of 45 (20716 views)
Shortcut
HD [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi

Was reading some of the old posts & saw yours abt your lab having HD - what did you finally do? Medication or surgery?

Mine has just been diagnosed with that too but early stages. Doc recommended synoquin - heard of it?

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jul 18, 2004, 8:46 AM

Post #23 of 45 (20690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kasthuri] HD [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ... Check your thread on Shedding Dog ...

Cheers

madmoz

Apr 21, 2005, 5:38 AM

Post #24 of 45 (19610 views)
Shortcut

And where is Dr Prem's practice?

Toy
K9 Maniac

Apr 23, 2005, 8:37 AM

Post #25 of 45 (19590 views)
Shortcut
Re: [madmoz] Qualified Vet to do Hip Score [In reply to] Can't Post

If im not wrong Dr. Prem own a vet at Brickfield & he is 1 of the best vet.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my