Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Beagle Dirty Eears?

cowcow
Dog Kichi

Nov 18, 2002, 7:47 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1313 views)
Shortcut
Beagle Dirty Eears? Can't Post

hi hi everyone. May I ask a question here ah? Why my beagle's ear is so dirty one? Almost everyday also got dirty thing inside. While other dog (my friend's dog) dun seem so. Is it normal? sometimes is hard to clean also because she keep on biting me when i try to clean her ears. she is 9 weeks old and very cute cute Laugh.

She's going to take 3rd vacination soon. But how soon is it call "Fully vacinated"?? have to wait how long ah?

Hmm, now i just got my puppy photo, but don't know how to make it appear beside my nick?

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 18, 2002, 8:19 AM

Post #2 of 8 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cowcow] Beagle Dirty Eears? [In reply to] Can't Post

Your beagle's ears probably form more wax than your other dog coz beagles have ears that are flapp, thus not eanough air gets inside to prvent build up of dirt (like cockers i would suppose). Use ear cleaner (can buy from any pet shop) with cotton wool balls or pads to wipe. With ear cleaner, you dont have to wipe very hard to get the dirt off, so your pup will not mind the ear cleaning process so much coz it wont hurt.

about a week after the 3rd jab, your pup can be taken out to socialize with other dogs etc. After that, they just need their annual booster shot.

are you based in kl?

cowcow
Dog Kichi

Nov 18, 2002, 9:05 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1307 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Beagle Dirty Eears? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks thanks! I always tot my CoCo got problem. Almost everyday i use tisue to wipe off the blackie stuff. sometimes smelly, ewww.... Crazy

while using the ear wax, i use it around 1 week once only. normally after bath. Wondering how you use the ear wax ah? drop it into the ears? for me i just drop on cotton butt and clean up some outer part, too deep i also scared. I am not putting that liquid into her ears because it seem dangerous to me.

Yea, i stay in Taman Tun Dr.Ismail. Heard the puppy.com got event near the taman rimba which near my house also. guess next time can take my coco go over there walk too. at least it is a "Dog Allowed Park" i guess. Laugh

THAM
Novice

Nov 19, 2002, 7:03 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1291 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cowcow] Beagle Dirty Eears? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! This is my first time chatting here too. I was surprised and glad that we have such a service on net locally where all animal lovers can get together and exchange experiences as well as good information about pet grooming and behaviour.
I had a beagle too. It's a female and her name is HAPPY. I got her from a pet shop in Taipan, SJ four months ago and she is a very happy one indeed. she's now about 8 months old. My husband and I love her dearly and she is extremely attach to us. Regarding your problem with dirty ears, I think i might have a solution to your problem. I use to clean HAPPY's ears every 2 weeks using an Anti-Itch Ear Cleaner for dogs and cats which has aids in removing odor causing ear wax. Make sure your pet is over 6 weeks old. You just need to tilt pet's head slightly and squeeze about 10 drops into outer ear canal. After that you gently massage the base of ear and allow to soak for about 1 minute. Then you gently wipe away excess with tissue or cotton ball. That should keep your doggy's ears clean. A good vet or an experience pet shop owner should be able to recommend a good product.

cowcow
Dog Kichi

Nov 19, 2002, 10:40 AM

Post #5 of 8 (1285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [THAM] Beagle Dirty Eears? [In reply to] Can't Post

hi hi hi! welcome to the forum! I finally find someone with beagle too! so far Coco is kind of hard to train to pee and poo. always pee at around the dining hall. Today had try out newspaper method, when I was watching she really pee on it, while i am not watching, she bring the whole newspaper into her cage and tear into pieces. Crazy

Anyway, back to the ears, i have the ear cleaner as what u mention. but i think 2 weeks once is really not enough. her ears seem to be "everyday" dirty. if 2-3 days i didn't clean it, it really smells..

Tham, how big is ur beagle now? i mean physically? Tall? and long? wondering how to measure that?

THAM
Novice

Nov 20, 2002, 6:43 AM

Post #6 of 8 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Re: (Happy) to (Coco)? [In reply to] Can't Post

Cleaning Coco's ears everyday may be too often and may cause inflamation. UnsureIf Coco's ears do get dirty so fast, it's better to seek professional advice on how to tackle the problem the correct way. Happy was like Coco too during the first month I brought her back. She also likes to pee and poo near the dining hall. Crazy(Ehmmm! I wonder why?) Then what I usually did was to let her do it and catch her in the act, immediately a gave her a whack at the backside and shouted a very stern NO and order her to go out of the house. After a few days, it works. She does her business in the yard. (Never whack or shout at her after she had done her business for a while because by then she might be doing something else and suddenly getting you shouting at her. She will be confuse and your message will not be relay to her well. She will think that you had gone crazy shouting at her at everything). I have a small opening for her during the day time where she can have access to the yard anytime she feels like it. Then there is this Dog and Cat Repellent that may help too. Happy is 8 months old and she is 22lbs, her height is 14.5inches (from floor to the highest part of the 'shoulders'. I guess she's within the 13"-16" category. How about yours? During the first year of puppy, it is recommended to feed her good puppy food only so that she could develop correctly. Happy is extremely active and rough but she always never fail to make us laugh every day. She sleeps with me too in my room. But every morning asap when I get downstairs, I will open the front door for her. You know lah. When she's in the room with me, I always make sure the toilet door is always open so she could make use of it in case of emergency. Tell me about Coco's behaviour. Does she likes to sneek on to your bed in the middle of the night to sleep with you?

THAM
Novice

Nov 20, 2002, 7:20 AM

Post #7 of 8 (1262 views)
Shortcut
Re: (Happy) Changing Coat? [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyway Guys/Gals, I am curious at how many times a puppy changes her baby coat to adult coat within the first year. Happy shed once when she was 24 weeks old for a week and then for another week when she was 29 weeks old. Is it normal? I am sure it is not the food she eats coz she on a good diet of lamd and rice puppy meal which contains Dried Lamb Meat (no meat by products), Ground Rice, Rice Bran, Sunflower Oil, Dried Egg Product with added antioxidant & tocopherols. I do not allow her human food due to the salt content. But when she sheds, she really sheds!!! Does any of your beagles shed like Happy. She's a tri-color and the black on top seemed to be missing a lot. I really envied those with blacks that are really black. Happy has a very strong and big frame but her head is small for the body. Is it natural? One thing funny about her is that she cannot stand the existance of tissue papers and if she cen get to one, it's terminator time!! She also hated the carpet in the living hall (leopard skin design) For a few times, she had tried dragging it out into the yard and leaving it there. When we (me and hubby) are in, Happy's always glued to us, I can say she's never found more than 5 feet away from us. She has grown so over attached. I wonder whether it is good though. But when she sleeps, she's really funny. She would sleep on her back with all fours facing the ceiling. I'll tell you more about her later...

(This post was edited by THAM on Nov 20, 2002, 7:29 AM)

cowcow
Dog Kichi

Nov 20, 2002, 8:20 AM

Post #8 of 8 (1258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [THAM] (Happy) Changing Coat? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi again! Wondering if i continue will i run out of the topic of "beagle ears"??

for my coco behaviour, like to eat a lot, and only dog food. She's like never got full stomach, I also don't know why, forever begging for food. I see other discussion they say give those chicken neck stuff and liver stuff would be good? no comment on this??

So far coco haven't really finish her injection yet. So I am not allowed she go to the yard to do business, 2 more weeks to wait, and everyday wiping her pee and poo, i start to scared about it already, almost every hour pee twice, drink a lot of water, why why? I think when doggie see some grass and sand, naturally they will poo, right?

On her behaviour, coco seems like always like to attack people. The "Attack" here shows that she is very fierce and bark, yet she don't really bite. Guess is considered playing for her kua? whenever i try to "Sayang" her on her head, forever wan bite my hand Crazy. normal for that?

Tham, How is your happy training now? Is it hard for you?so far i try up, sit, hand, down, and when down, i try to teach her rollover, but it's hard. when i push her body to rollover, she bites me. fainted fainted! she never learn that! Unsure

Any more tricks that you can suggest?? i mean for beagle?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my