Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Vaccination:
vaccination-advise needed

mafia
Canine Addict

Jan 12, 2004, 9:38 PM

Post #1 of 9 (2334 views)
Shortcut
vaccination-advise needed Can't Post

Can anyone tell me why 3 vaccination is needed.

Cant a puppy go for the first one withine 6weeks old and complete the second and third jab in the second visit??

I've done this to all my dogs....been keeping many dogs, all no problem!!

ive told this to many pet lovers but either they laugh at me or ignores me!

Can anyone give a concrete statement on this issue!

This message is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly pang-tang persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or sexual religious beliefs.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Zoe
Novice

Jan 14, 2004, 10:05 AM

Post #2 of 9 (2313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mafia] vaccination-advise needed [In reply to] Can't Post

Why not ask yr vet the next time?

FYI,
Puppies' own immunological system kicks in during the first few weeks. You gotta wait until their system is all up and running before you vac them (usually after 6 weeks), or else it'll be useless as their own immune system will whack out the 1st shot. Then several booster shots are needed to make sure that they take.

The next time yr vet wants to jab yr puppy before the 6th week, challenge them with this fact.

Remember, no problems doesnt mean will not have problems for everyone. My previous dog dont get vac and also no problems. Doesnt mean that vaccination is not needed here. Perhaps I'm just lucky. You too?

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jan 19, 2004, 10:24 AM

Post #3 of 9 (2304 views)
Shortcut

Hello,Smile

I think the jabs are for different type of viruses and bacteria. Time is needed for the pup to build its immune system before the next vaccination can be given. When doing something unnatural to anything,there are always risk. Whether or not you are willing to risk it,it's up to you.

Honestly, there are only guides to owning a dog. No rules. Whether or not you want to follow the guides(or advice),it's up to you. Do what you feel comfortable with your dog,unless of course you enjoy mistreating your dog,then it's a whole differemt case.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 19, 2004, 9:50 PM

Post #4 of 9 (2299 views)
Shortcut

Hello ...

I think the question posed ... raises a whole host of issues ... The issue of vaccinations has long been subject to many differing views & opinions ...

Some people (with the usual exception of rabies) don't believe in any vaccinations at all ...

Others believe in vaccinations only for certain diseases ...

Still others, vaccinate according to prevailing protocal or depend on their vet ...

Who is right? ... Which is correct? ... What is best for our dogs? ...

This site might be of some interest:

vetmedicine.about.com/cs/vaccdog/

I think both Zoe & RDreamer make valid points ...

As dog owners, we will make our own decisions ... but hopefully, we make our decisions after reasonable research and after providing ourselves with as much information & knowledge as we can of the differing views ...

And hopefully, whatever we decide, we only undertake "risk" that is appreciated and reasonable ... and then, as Zoe writes - there is still that element of "luck" ...

"... Cant a puppy go for the first one withine 6weeks old and complete the second and third jab in the second visit?? ..."

Vaccines are essentially weaked strains of the diseases they are supposed to prevent, but still potent enough to induce a mild case of the disease - thus, compelling the dog's immune system to respond ... And as such, the introduction of vaccine into a dog carries some risk (the experts say very minimal) of adverse reaction ...

As mentioned in RDreamer's & Zoe's postings ... the dosage & intervals are designed to provide for maximum effect & safety, taking into account puppy and dog development.

So, if we do decide to give vaccinations, then it may be prudent to carry out the vaccinations in accordance with recommended protocal (both dosage & intervals) or we may be just subjecting our dogs to risk, even though minimal - without maximising possibility of receiving maximum benefit ...

Also consider too, the "risk" involved in giving a "double dose of vaccine" during the 2nd visit ...

Cheers Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Jan 19, 2004, 9:52 PM)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 20, 2004, 4:53 AM

Post #5 of 9 (2290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ALL] vaccination-advise needed [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ...

Received this email just today from an experienced dog person, it might be of some interest ... This was posted on another list - Permission has been granted to cross post.

Cheers Smile

Vaccination Protocols May Be Changing Again
Vaccinations: All Veterinary Schools in North America Changing Vaccination Protocols

Recent editions of the Senior Dogs Project's newsletter have reported on the ever-broadening trend of eliminating vaccinations for adult dogs, except for rabies, where required by state law. We have now had a report that all 27 veterinary schools in North America are in the process of changing their protocols for vaccinating dogs and cats.

Here, in a nutshell, are the new guidelines under consideration: Dogs and cats immune systems mature fully at 6 months. If a modified live virus (MLV) vaccine is given after 6 months of age, it produces immunity, which is good for the life of the pet (i.e., canine distemper, parvo, feline distemper). If another MLV vaccine is given a year later, the antibodies from the first vaccine neutralize the antigens of the second vaccine and there is little or no effect.
The titer <
www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/petvacc.htm#titer> is not 'boosted' nor are more memory cells induced.

Not only are annual boosters for parvo and distemper unnecessary, they subject the pet to potential risks of allergic reactions and immune-mediated hemolytic anemia. There is no scientific documentation to back up label claims for annual administration of MLV vaccines. Puppies receive antibodies through their mothers milk. This natural protection can last 8-14 weeks. Puppies and kittens should NOT be vaccinated at LESS than 8 weeks. Maternal immunity will neutralize the vaccine and little protection (0-38%) will be produced.

Vaccination at 6 weeks will, however, delay the timing of the first highly effective vaccine. Vaccinations given 2 weeks apart suppress rather than stimulate the immune system. A series of vaccinations is given starting at 8 weeks and given 3-4 weeks apart up to 16 weeks of age. Another vaccination given sometime after 6 months of age (usually at 1 year 4 months) will provide lifetime immunity.
www.srdogs.com/Pages/news.apr.may.3.html

The most recently accepted protocol that your vet should be following can be found at:
www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/SAVP2.HTM

This research above has been out for quite some time, it just takes an awful long time to change peoples old ways of doing things. Vaccinations can cause myriad problems with your pets. Here are some additional articles to read:
/~kremersark/CSAP.html
www.whale.to/m/pitcairn6.html
www.whale.to/m/pets.html

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Jan 20, 2004, 4:55 AM)

boon
Doggyman

Jan 20, 2004, 8:10 AM

Post #6 of 9 (2286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] vaccination-advise needed [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi SK,

Thanz for sharing.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jan 20, 2004, 8:56 AM

Post #7 of 9 (2284 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for the info Smile

Any idea when the other vet schools will be changing...say Australia? (may be changing)
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 20, 2004, 8:13 PM

Post #8 of 9 (2279 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RealityDreamer] vaccination-advise needed [In reply to] Can't Post

USA quite frequently (and they do have the experts) takes the lead in pet/animal medical matters ... but this idea of vaccinating less frequently has been mooted for a fairly long time by dog people/experts in various parts of the world including Australia ... But so far, don't know of any association/group in Australia calling for an actual change in vaccination protocal ...

Cheers ... Smile

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Jan 20, 2004, 10:57 PM

Post #9 of 9 (2272 views)
Shortcut

hm.....

Thanks for the info. Do keep me updated if you hear anything on the vet schools in aus.

Thanks again! Smile
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my