Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Worms in Dog:
hook worm

a_evie
Doggyman

Jan 8, 2004, 2:52 AM

Post #1 of 18 (3244 views)
Shortcut
hook worm Can't Post

met a friend (has 2 acs) recently. he had advised against barf because of possible hook worm incidents. he had unfortunately lost 1 golden retriever to hook worms when he gave his doggies barf.

pls advise.

am worried....Frown

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 8, 2004, 8:10 PM

Post #2 of 18 (3238 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie] hook worm [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ... once again ... Smile

Although hookworms infestation can occur, especially in young dogs ... hookworms do not kill a dog unless there is "heavy infestation" ... and the symptoms of heavy infestation are usually very clear and imminent ... including severe anemia and diarrhea.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/...gdex735?opendocument

So ... for a dog to die of hookworms ... it is possible that there is some culpability on the part of the owner ... For example: Owners who don't bother or fail to do the following:
  • To deworm their dogs regularly.
  • To observe and recognise signs of distress in their dogs.
  • To do their own research on dog nutrition.
  • To do their own research on worms generally and take the necessary precautions.
So, before you start worring ... some questions:

(a) How old was the GR and who diagnosed that the GR died because of hookworm?

(b) Did your friend act on seeing the symptoms of heavy worm infestation? If not, why not? If so, what did your friend do?

(c) What was your friend feeding raw (specifically) to the GR? And when feeding raw, what were the sources of the raw elements? And what precautions did your friend take to render the raw elements safe before feeding?

Cheers ... Smile

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Jan 8, 2004, 8:21 PM)

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 9, 2004, 9:03 AM

Post #3 of 18 (3225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [surchinmy] hook worm [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yes~ I have the same questions in my mind too, but ONE more: what did the vet say? (was BARF his answer to the death of ur fren's GR?)

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

a_evie
Doggyman

Jan 9, 2004, 8:41 PM

Post #4 of 18 (3213 views)
Shortcut

hi hi...you've been such an angel to answer so many of my queries Smile

paiseh liao...Blush

gr was about 4 years when he said bye bye. the vet was around when teh gr died. apparently he said the worms happpened as a result of the barf.

he mentioned that they were dewormed annually. lived in a hdb flat...so the only place the wander around is the car park and a park / field nearby.

he gives them everything from mince meat (beef, chicken and pork). bones, chicken carcass and liver.

like myself, he buys from the supermarket only. pay more but i get the impression that they are properly stored and packed.

he took the gr and the other 2 to the vet when all 3 started having diarrhea. apparently, it was kinda late for the gr then.

i do know that when that happened he was actually in reservist ...so the moment he got home and saw the wet bottoms, he shipped them to the vet. guess his girl friend didn't recognise the sympthoms. she merely dismissed it as the dogs missing their daddy.Mad

a_evie
Doggyman

Jan 9, 2004, 8:46 PM

Post #5 of 18 (3210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] hook worm [In reply to] Can't Post

mentioned that it was a result of barf.

this friend of mine is doing 90% barf.

kibbles are left just in case he or his grilfriend return home late from work and the babies need something to eat.

all this while even when he was in the US, he fed all his dogs barf. and no such prob....so he is also rather taken aback by the incident.

since then, no more bark. they are given 10% kibbles. the 90% is mince meat (steamed) and vegetables.

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 9, 2004, 9:55 PM

Post #6 of 18 (3208 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a_evie, mackmack] hook worm [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ... Smile ...

No problems with the questions ... Smile ... just hope the answers are of some use ... *smile* ...

Back to your query ... and what the GR owner told you:

" ... he mentioned that they were dewormed annually ... he gives them everything from mince meat (beef, chicken and PORK). bones, chicken carcass and liver ... his girl friend didn't recognise the sympthoms. she merely dismissed it as the dogs missing their daddy"

Hmmm ...

(A) In the case of pig meat and bones, it doesn't matter where you get it from, whether from wet market or supermarket, whether frozen or fresh ... whether cheap or expensive ... When giving BARF, we do not give raw pork or raw pig bones ... for same reason we are not supposed to eat raw or inadequately cooked pork ... pig meat & bones carry eggs of parasites ... which require heat to destroy.

Check out this thread http://www.puppy.com.my/...psed;page=last;#last

(B) It is generally recommended that dogs are to be dewormed more often than once in 12 months.

(C) It is quite difficult to understand how anyone can attribute severe diarrhea to "missing" the owner.

Assuming that your friend has given you the correct information, then to me (my personal view only) ... cannot blame BARF for what happened to the GR ...

The GR got into trouble because the owner and his girlfriend did not sufficiently educate themselves in (a) the proper care, maintenance and rearing of a dog, or (b) the proper application and giving of BARF ...

Sometimes, no matter what we do, accidents still happen ... For example, simply by giving bones, we have to accept the risk of bone injury to our dogs (no matter what all the experts say, the risk is there, however slim) ... We examine and balance the element of risk with the possibility of good and we make a decision ...

But for this GR, it is sad ... because it maybe was preventable.

But we all make mistakes, hopefully we learn from our own mistakes as well as from the mistakes of others ...

Regards

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Jan 9, 2004, 9:59 PM)

a_evie
Doggyman

Jan 9, 2004, 10:10 PM

Post #7 of 18 (3201 views)
Shortcut

i dunno what to say...but i think it was more of her at fault for dismissing it as misisng daddy. my friend was off to reservist in taiwan. so he could not have noted the wet bottoms.

too late to blame anyone now. i only pity the gr. we called him "boy".

as for deworming...what is prefered?

i've not given shalom pork either...ihave this bad eeky feeling about pork. eveen when i cook pok...its always very cooked like roasting etc.

so i guess shalom is very much stuck with chicken and beef.

mackmack
Doggyman

Jan 9, 2004, 10:48 PM

Post #8 of 18 (3199 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

too late to blame anyone now.

yes, too late to blame anyone, and it won't save the life. BUT, it's never too late to learn the correct way of BARFing. erm.... and hope not to mislead the readers about BARF.

Smile

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Jan 9, 2004, 11:00 PM

Post #9 of 18 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Hi ...

For standard deworming protocal ... check:

http://caltest.nbc.upenn.edu/...Ascarids/asc_11.html

http://www.washingtonsquareveterinaryclinic.com/...deworming_schedu.htm

Cheers

(This post was edited by surchinmy on Jan 9, 2004, 11:01 PM)

PSD
ALPHA

Jan 10, 2004, 12:21 AM

Post #10 of 18 (3190 views)
Shortcut

met a friend (has 2 acs) recently. he had advised against barf because of possible hook worm incidents. he had unfortunately lost 1 golden retriever to hook worms when he gave his doggies barf.

a_evie,

When a death happen, vets finds the most convenient reason to justify it. Worms infestation can come from multiple source. Even staying in HDB flats the worms eggs can be carried into the house by way of shoes, touch, clothing and more. To imply that if the dog were to be fed 100% on Kibbles will not have worms is one very big joke.

Remember that the probable reason that kills the dog is suspected to be the worms. Tht being the case, the dog was obviously not being cared for the correct way like regular deworming. If that is done, then the dog wont die of such reason.

Humans too sometimes lives in denial, then try to pick all kinds of excuses and blame on all other reasons for that instead of accepting the obvious. hope this makes you reflect if what I'm writing here makes sense to you.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

a_evie
Doggyman

Jan 10, 2004, 5:08 PM

Post #11 of 18 (3180 views)
Shortcut

SmileSmilethanx (AGAIN)...

a_evie
Doggyman

Jan 10, 2004, 5:13 PM

Post #12 of 18 (3179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] hook worm [In reply to] Can't Post

humans often live in denial...no doubt about it.

then when we snap out of the denial scene...its often because another tragedy has happened.

anyhow, i've told my friend to come on board to look see around. then he'll geet a better idea on barf. i mean he should undersand that nothing happened to the rest of the babies in US all this while.

hey...going tomorrow? how to identify youlah?Wink

PSD
ALPHA

Jan 10, 2004, 5:59 PM

Post #13 of 18 (3178 views)
Shortcut

a_evie,

Glad that now you understand the roots of the problem. As a wise sayings goes.

He who has seen from peoples mistake and learns from it is the kings' of man.

He who has seen his own mistake and learns from it is wise indeed.

He who has seen others mistakes and then his own but still does not learn from it.......is a pauper.....Tongue

I wont be there tomorrow. i'll try to catch up in another gathering. By then I will have to ask you how do I identify you instead....hahaha!Laugh

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

a_evie
Doggyman

Jan 12, 2004, 6:26 PM

Post #14 of 18 (3159 views)
Shortcut

hmmm very philosophical works for my monday morning..

PSD
ALPHA

Jan 12, 2004, 6:41 PM

Post #15 of 18 (3158 views)
Shortcut

a_evie,

Hope I didnt confuse you too much....kakakak.Smile Happy Monday.

PSD

a_evie
Doggyman

Jan 12, 2004, 7:20 PM

Post #16 of 18 (3157 views)
Shortcut

no confusion...only concussionWink

happy monday too!

PSD
ALPHA

Jan 14, 2004, 9:39 PM

Post #17 of 18 (3143 views)
Shortcut

Concussion???.......wah! I'm that bad meh?TongueBlushPirate

PSD

a_evie
Doggyman

Jan 14, 2004, 11:20 PM

Post #18 of 18 (3141 views)
Shortcut

very...still blurrrrrrrr now.....

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my