IN

Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Canine Hip Dysplasia:
Joint Problem with shih tzu

meiyoong

Jan 5, 2004, 8:04 PM

Post #1 of 8 (10363 views)
Shortcut
Joint Problem with shih tzu Can't Post

I owned a shih tzu which is now around 11 months old. Last few moths we found out that his right back leg is not walking in a correct way and seems like his leg doesn't have energy . The way he walked like he sprained his leg. I took his to several vet and they gave him some medicine but still no cure. At last i brought him to UPM and the vet there x-ray his leg.Nothing wrong with his bone, so the vet made conclusions that my shih tzu's leg doesn't have a ligaments between his bone and bcoz of that his leg looks like crocked and no energy.

chilimson

Jan 11, 2004, 10:13 AM

Post #2 of 8 (10336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [meiyoong] Joint Problem with shih tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it ACL that your puppy is suffering?

meiyoong

Jan 13, 2004, 4:56 PM

Post #3 of 8 (10329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chilimson] Joint Problem with shih tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure whether is really ACL or not.

JudyBeee
Novice

Sep 6, 2004, 7:35 PM

Post #4 of 8 (10144 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

Is your puppy still walking like that? I realise my two puppies has encounter this problem, I have not brought them to Vet as they are only 8 weeks old.

I have asked a few breeder friends, what they explained to me was the puppies didnt have a proper space for them to train walking when they just borned. So now I have to train and force them walking and standing, so that they do not have any problems when they start growing.

meiyoong

Oct 31, 2004, 5:34 AM

Post #5 of 8 (10059 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JudyBeee] Joint Problem with shih tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

My shi tzu still walking in that way. My shih tzu is confirm to have disc problem coz i bring him to UPM to have x-ray and the doc say nothing could be do on this and my shih tzu should not be breed.Frown

joycet78

Oct 12, 2007, 11:59 PM

Post #6 of 8 (9176 views)
Shortcut

Hi Mei Yong,

i have a shih tzu of 5 years and last year, he suffered and had the symptoms like you described.

he was limping on 3 legs one of the back leg - no energy/ not touching floor and had the creaking sound when he moves - otherwise seem fine so i took him to the vet which prescribed glucosamine. the symptoms disappeared after a week. till now he is on glucosamine maintenance dose but when stopped taking the symptoms came back. Vet says its like human we cant stop it but make sure it dont get worse..... my shih tzu is ok now and he loves running and playing like he used to like before.

if you are interested to get a second opinion let me know..
JT78

CEDRICSIN
Novice

Oct 13, 2007, 10:36 PM

Post #7 of 8 (9165 views)
Shortcut

do u mean it is an inherited problem?? oh gosh..... sad to hear that, any medications the vet prescribed for ur shih tzu????? e.g. nerve supplement?????

acsyen
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 5, 2007, 8:38 PM

Post #8 of 8 (9102 views)
Shortcut
Re: [joycet78] Joint Problem with shih tzu [In reply to] Can't Post

Cracking sound might be parthella. If you want a really good vet go to taman megah look for Dr Yeoh. He is not there always as he has another doctor working for him. He is known as the best vet in malaysia for joint problems. Some vets who are also good will refer to him if they can't do that surgery. But the cons is the cost of it. If you are willing to spend for your pet then do go and consult him. His consultation is not so costly it's the treatment.

~Nature's Way: Raw Food for Health ~

~ Pet ID Tags: A MUST For Every Pet! ~

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my