Home: Dog & Puppy Health: General Dog Health and Care:
Acupuncturist for Dogs

renachow
Dog Kichi

Jan 5, 2004, 2:46 AM

Post #1 of 12 (1770 views)
Shortcut
Acupuncturist for Dogs Can't Post

My friend's dog Shandy has osteoathritis. We've taken Shandy to see the vet and she's going for her x-ray on monday morning (5Jan2004) I have checked the internet on the illness and it's not very encouraging. Infact it is downright DEPRESSING. Shandy is about 8yrs old and is a bull mastiff. I know large breed dogs tend to have this problem but we are trying to ease her pain. The medication she is taking is not helping much to ease her pain. Everytime she wants to sit or sleep or even get up she would be in so much pain that she is howling with it. It comes to a point that she is afrain to sit at all. It is such a pitiful sight and my heart goes out to her. As i was checking the internet, puppy.com site came up and one of our member 'milooh' mentioned about taking his/her dog Iris to an acupuncturist and it help but he/she is based in the USA. Can anyone tell me if there is an acupunturist for dogs in Malaysia or any hemeopathy for dogs

Really Really Need Help

Rena Chow

Pixie & Howler (Min Pin)

cockercinta
Novice

Jan 5, 2004, 5:26 AM

Post #2 of 12 (1764 views)
Shortcut
Re: [renachow] Acupuncturist for Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the knowledge and expertise to relief Shandy of its suffering. Some members knew who I am. So if you can get in touch with members such as RD, Serene, Pyro, and few others, they should be able to give U my contact numbers.
Regards.

renachow
Dog Kichi

Jan 5, 2004, 4:51 PM

Post #3 of 12 (1754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cockercinta] Acupuncturist for Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Cockercinta

Would appreciate if you could e-mail me your contact number at renacw . I'll contact you through there. Are you from PJ or KL? Thanks for giving me hope. We're really desparate to help ease Shandy's pain.

TQ/ Rena Chow

Pixie&Howler

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jan 25, 2004, 8:42 PM

Post #4 of 12 (1706 views)
Shortcut

oh dear, my heart really goes out to shandy.....how is she doing ? I hope that you'll be able to find the person who can help. Care to share more on acupuncture relieve on dogs here ? (paiseh, never really heard of it before ler on human yes la.... )

cheers,
minglmy

renachow
Dog Kichi

Jan 26, 2004, 5:23 PM

Post #5 of 12 (1696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [minglmy] Acupuncturist for Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ming Yang

No need to 'paiseh lah'. I only know about acupuncture for dogs thru the animal planet in astro. I think it was the programme - Vets in Practice. This show was on one of the vets practicing acupunture on a dog who have athritis and it relieves her pain. Anyway, I've asked around a number of vets and they say that the only person who knows is Dr Wong from UPM. He wrote a paper on it in 2001 but I do not know whether he is actually practicing on dogs or not. It's sad actually to have vets in the west practicing eastern form of healing for dogs and over here none of the vets take up this course. It'll be good as we the owners will have an alternative. shandy's taking Rimadyl and we have to take her to the vet for blood test every 2 weeks to check her blood count. Maybe i'll get the contact from Shandy's vet just to have a chat with this Dr Wong. Should be interesting. After CNY ya?? Will let you know.

shandy is wearing a neck brace for her neck as the bones c5&c6 has collapse. She is having hips displexia on both hips as well. She's on medication which is helping to cope with the pain. The vet says her condition is quite bad and gives her the most maximum 6 months. Anyway Shandy is now 9 yrs and the vet said that for large breed dogs their life expectancy is about 9-11yrs.

Qong Xi Fa Chai to you, your family, terry, mocha, summer boy & lightning ( latest addition to your family)

Rena, Pixie & Howler

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jan 26, 2004, 6:02 PM

Post #6 of 12 (1693 views)
Shortcut

Hi Rena,

I dunno if you need the info's below or not but here it is....

UPM Veterinary Clinic Petaling Jaya
c/o Department of Veterinary Services
Persiaran Barat, 46200 Petaling Jaya
Selangor, Malaysia
Tel : 603 7955 1527

Administrative Officer
NORMAN AZLAN OSMAN (Mr.)
norman@vet.upm.edu.my
603 8946 8337

Small Animal Practice Manager
IRINDA TOH BENG LIN (Dr.)
toh@vet.upm.edu.my
603 8946 8317

Deputy Veterinary Officer
NORAINI OTHMAN (Mrs.)
noraini@vet.upm.edu.my
603 8946 8138

Here is the information on UPM's contact of their vet's....

www.vet.upm.edu.my/~uvh/stsmall.htm

I don't see any Dr Wong in there but with all the contact at least you can ask around.

cheers,
minglmy

(This post was edited by minglmy on Jan 26, 2004, 6:04 PM)

renachow
Dog Kichi

Jan 27, 2004, 4:34 PM

Post #7 of 12 (1682 views)
Shortcut

Wah!!! Ming Yang.....U very 'keng ah' I belum call the vet & U already got all the info.

Thanks alot. Will try to contact one of them or all of them. But must wait for a while first. My brains still very blur from CNY leave and my work in the office have triple up. Brains still on Ang Pow mode...kekeke... the receiving mode lah...not the giving out

XOXOXO from me, pixie & howler to Mocha,Summer Boy & Lightning.

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jan 28, 2004, 2:46 AM

Post #8 of 12 (1676 views)
Shortcut

hahahaa... well, i remember i went to the upm.edu.my site for a visit n remember seeing all the informations there mar.

coz was thinking rather than u call the general line at least with all the names, direct number you have a better chance getting the one that can relate to your case.

Hope you'll be able to find who the Dr Wong that can help ! Good Luck ya ! Smile

Summer is a fat boy now lor... (looks like a fat barrel, thanks to my mum la - manja him only)

cheers,
minglmy

renachow
Dog Kichi

Jan 28, 2004, 6:20 AM

Post #9 of 12 (1670 views)
Shortcut

Aiya, cannot call him Summer Boy lor! Next time see him, I will sing the sing the song 'Roll out the Barrel'

Tell your mum not to be so 'phin sum' mah. Must share share all the goodies with Mocha & Lightning. Then you will have 3 barrels to roll around. Share and share alike. Does Summer still follow your mum around the house? No wonder your mum manja him!! Is he as fat as Pixie? My Pixie have slim down abit already lor. On diet like the mummy..hahaha.

Night night

Rena, Pixie & Howler

minglmy
Puppycom Veteran

Jan 28, 2004, 5:28 PM

Post #10 of 12 (1667 views)
Shortcut

Hi Rena,

hahahaha.... ya, he is a real barrel rite now, told my mum not to feed him soooooo much adi ! he is getting to be too fat to be a minpin lor. I think he is fatter than pixie last time ler..paiseh man.

Well, now that I know my mum being sooooo bad give him all the good good food when I'm not around/looking I gotto control their food intake adi if not they will be sooooo BIG and FAT till they can no longer be called a minpin adi ! hehehe

u know... terry is a liverpool's fan and I bought 3 doggie liverpool shirt for 3 of them to wear and can u imagine summer boy is wearing a size bigger than mocha and he FIT in nice nice goodness ! but they look cute la when terry takes them out and walk them with the liverpool's shirt LaughLaugh

cheers,
minglmy

renachow
Dog Kichi

Jan 30, 2004, 4:02 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1653 views)
Shortcut

Wah...Summer boy must look very MAN eh..with his Liverpool shirt. Tell Terry next time I'm going to put on Man U or Arsenal shirt on my pixie & howler. Then we let your 3 furkids against my 2 furkids at football. Winner belanja..hahaha

The other day, my friend took Shandy's x-ray to her chiropractor to seek his opinion. Her chiropractor had a shock when told it's Shandy her dog's x-ray but he gamely give his opinion. Apparently he has 3 GSD. Same result as the vet. Must have sugery and even that also not guaranteed. He said if detected earlier maybe got hope. We thought if humans who have spinal spondilitis and a chiropractor is able to help, then maybe there is hope for Shandy. Get the chiro to have a crack at her. Ah well..... shandy's doing fine with her medication. Loves to play now too. So sometimes after her bath, we'd wash the porch and then play wrestling with her there. She's like an overgrown puppy.

Rena, pixie, howler

xyne
Doggyman

Jan 30, 2004, 7:43 PM

Post #12 of 12 (1652 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cockercinta] Acupuncturist for Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

hi... could u pls give me ur contact? Are u an acupunctuarist?
amy@hnhoyle.com.my

thank u very much!

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my