Puppies socializing ...

jason
Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2002, 10:35 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2076 views)
Shortcut
Puppies socializing ... Can't Post

Hello ...

I am trying to mix and socialize my two litter pups, one two months old and another one 7 months old (boxer) together. For the first few days, I dare not meet them and my elder boxer did do some barking on the younger one. Could they be mixed and played by now? or ... need to wait until the younger one grows about 3 to 4 months old? I scare the small one will suffer from physical contact with my elder boxer! Welcome for discussion and thanks.

regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Feb 11, 2002, 7:37 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2058 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Puppies socializing ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It depends on whether your older Boxer is a well-socialized dog. If not, he may try to attack your younger pup. What I did with my not-very-sociable dog was, I introduced her to my new pup to her gradually. For example, let the older one see the pup through the window or something. Once she's used to the idea of another pup inside the house, open the door and let her see the pup properly. (It's better if you have a grill door, so that the older one can't harm the pup).

Once the older dog isn't growling or barking at the sight of the puppy, I think it's quite safe to intro them properly (i.e. let them sniff each other). But be CAREFUL! Keep the older dog on a leash if necessary. Don't leave them alone together without supervision!

I have to stress that it is very important to keep on "spoiling" your older dog Smile (continue as usual, don't neglect her!). In fact, pamper her a bit more so that she doesn't become jealous!

-= Tisha =-

Derrickok
Novice

Feb 11, 2002, 9:31 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2057 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Puppies socializing ... [In reply to] Can't Post

SPOT ON!

jason
Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2002, 11:15 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Puppies socializing ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup ... I tried to introduce each of them together slowly and by now, I think it works Smile! Anyway, two of them will start to play around, pushing, grabbing when they meet. I have to look after them when they played. From my view, my younger male boxer is more aggresive than the elder female boxer and he is so brave to 'fight' with her even he is smaller in size Unsure.

Regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Feb 20, 2002, 12:15 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jason] Puppies socializing ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Think your younger boxer is more playful..my younger female dachshund likes to play...but my more matured male dachshund just sit around and look at her go crazy!!! Smile Kids will always be kids

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my