Home: Members' Area: Members' Introduction:
Soon to be dog owner

KayNain
Novice

Nov 11, 2002, 6:30 PM

Post #1 of 10 (976 views)
Shortcut
Soon to be dog owner Can't Post

Hi folks. Great to see such an active forum on dogs here. I'm living in KL and am currently looking for a dog for my house this year end. My previous dog was a spitz which I had when I was younger. He was one hell of a dog. Totally independent and extremely intelligent.

Anyway, I'm currently interested in APBT's as my next companion. Have been thru plenty of websites and books about them and I think they are an excellent breed (unfortunately made notorious by the bad press). I believe there are a few APBT owners in this forum?

Anyhow, good to be here in this great forum and hope to get to know all you folks better.

eric

May
Old Hand

Nov 11, 2002, 6:36 PM

Post #2 of 10 (974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KayNain] Soon to be dog owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to the forum, Kaynain.

Good luck in searching for your new pet dog. If I'm not mistaken, there is one APBT's owner in this forum. Maybe he could provide a better idea to you about this breed.

Enjoy yourself here.

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 11, 2002, 7:01 PM

Post #3 of 10 (972 views)
Shortcut

Welcome KayNain,

Our member Kaerb own a few APBT. You may want to read some of those post which may be related to APBT.

Cheers

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

cdmoo
ALPHA

Nov 11, 2002, 7:59 PM

Post #4 of 10 (968 views)
Shortcut

hi Eric,

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck in searching your APBT..

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

KayNain
Novice

Nov 11, 2002, 9:35 PM

Post #5 of 10 (962 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Soon to be dog owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys. Wow so fast got reply already! Yeah, I read Kaerb's stories... His questions was what I was hoping to get answered. whether to keep one or two APBT... as I will be working the whole day, the dog will be left alone the whole day, I figured I wanted 2 so that they can keep each other company. Any of you guys leave your dogs at home the whole day unsupervised? Any solution to ease their boredom? What I do not want is to return to find doggie body parts strewn around my garden...

Btw, are all of you guys regulars to the Jln Gasing field training on sundays for the dogs? How do I join...

So many questions but this makes the hobby of keeping k9's great.

Have a nice day fellas.

cdmoo
ALPHA

Nov 11, 2002, 10:32 PM

Post #6 of 10 (957 views)
Shortcut

hi ,

Assumming u r to get two dogs. Have u checked with your local council on any such restriction?

I would say, typically, most owners will not get two dogs at once. Very likely, they will get one pup, then later (a few months or a year or so) get another pup. To keep them / the pup busy is relatively easy, just buy some chew toys. Since no one is left to take care of the dog(s) during day time, it's advisable to crate them / him.

If u need to join the training @ Padang Merbuk, u need to be a registered MKA member. Pls. check out for more info. Some of the puppy.com members are MKA members too.

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

wkser
ALPHA

Nov 11, 2002, 11:58 PM

Post #7 of 10 (954 views)
Shortcut

hi,
welcome to the forum........SmileWink........

regards
kangser and nous

KayNain
Novice

Nov 12, 2002, 12:32 AM

Post #8 of 10 (952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Soon to be dog owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi cdmoo, yeah, that was my plan... get 1 dog 1st then only introduce another... At least there's an adult to supervise the pup Wink...

Are u a member of the padang merbok training too? I've met one of the trainers there before by the name of francis.. he keeps beagles.

1 more question. When u say crate the pup, do you mean in a kennel or one of those "pet voyager" products? Wouldn't they protest... cuz my previous dog will start howling everytime we kennel him... he is used to roaming my house all day.

kaerb

Nov 12, 2002, 6:24 AM

Post #9 of 10 (942 views)
Shortcut

hello...nice to see that you r interested in APBTs and have read abt it. As you would already have known, it's not advisable to keep 2 males or 2 females together, better 1 male n 1 female. I think you already read one of my previous thread, my dogs fighting prob...not a pretty sight I tell you. People say, even when the two pups have lived and played together their entire lives..there is still a chance of them fighting. This is in born trait, and cannot be corrected, however, this is rather case to case basis.
But better think through if you want to get two puppies of the same sex...
Anyway, are you planning to get the fighting kind or conformation kind?

KayNain
Novice

Nov 12, 2002, 7:02 AM

Post #10 of 10 (938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kaerb] Soon to be dog owner [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Kaerb,

Yup, I guess if the dog breed's highly dominant then best not to aggravate it. I'm looking for the conformist type.

That was why I've actually begin searching first for a Staffordshire Bull Terrier first before considering the APBT. No offence to the breed in anyway. Its just that the SBT's are recogized by MKA and therefore has a family lineage to trace back to determine if the breed is bred for show or for other purpose. Its quite unfortunate that MKA does not recognize the APBT and therefore some unethical breeders may actually have bred the dog for other purpose.

That's quite a dog you have there, the sharpei-APBT mix. Did you know that the sharpei was once listed as the world's rarest breed?

Where did you purchase your dogs from by the way?

look forward to your reply.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my