Scared & Shy when out

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 11, 2002, 4:02 AM

Post #1 of 44 (5342 views)
Shortcut
Scared & Shy when out Can't Post

I've just started taking my puppy Luckey out recently (since she completed her 3 vaccines)... and she seems to be really scared when she goes out. She is ok when I walk her around, but particularly when she meets other dogs who try o sniff her, she literally shivers and shakes.

She is very bold and brave at home, she lives with her parents and her brother - all of whom are bigger than her and play quite rough sometimes - but at home she defends herself and is not scared.

She is fine with humans when they come to our home as visitors, but outside she is still a bit wary when strangers try to pat her (although she doesn't react like she does with other dogs).

What's the best & quickest way to get a pup over the fear of the big world outside, incl. other dogs and people?

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Nov 11, 2002, 5:53 AM

Post #2 of 44 (5337 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Scared & Shy when out [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the best cure is exposure Smile. She just has to meet a few more friendly dogs, so that she knows that they're not out to hurt her.

-= Tisha =-

cdmoo
ALPHA

Nov 11, 2002, 5:29 PM

Post #3 of 44 (5332 views)
Shortcut

hi luckey,

Bring her to the Padang a few more times will do the job!

Smile
regards,

CD Moo

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 11, 2002, 5:50 PM

Post #4 of 44 (5330 views)
Shortcut

hello luckey. normally most puppies will get rather timid during their walks at early age. my dog too was scared out there when he was a pup - crouched on the ground, head bent down and refused to budge. he gets more scared when a cars pass by. i guess you could start out by short walks, then slowly increase the distance.

as for socialization with dogs out there, if she don't quite like the idea of being sniffed by other dogs, just let it be. walk away as if no big deal happened. as they said, you could get her more used to it at padang merbuk - during training.

i guess everything out there is just too scary for them. but they'll get used to it anyway Wink

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 12, 2002, 3:44 AM

Post #5 of 44 (5314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Scared & Shy when out [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah i think so... looking for excuses to take her out to meet people! How are your dogs with outside dogs? have you tried?

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 12, 2002, 3:47 AM

Post #6 of 44 (5313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hunter] Scared & Shy when out [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the tips Hunter.

We've started walking ehr with our bigger dogs, and she kinda walks in between them coz she feels "safer" but she is getting braver by the day. ONly thing is I'm taking her to the melaka dog show - so hope she is not too overwhelmed by all the dogs there!

maybe since dogs at dog shows generally don't sniff each other (i hope) she might be ok .

thanks again

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 12, 2002, 3:47 AM

Post #7 of 44 (5312 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cdmoo] Scared & Shy when out [In reply to] Can't Post

haha... maybe i'll bring her to Kota Kemuning to meet Rex!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 12, 2002, 9:22 AM

Post #8 of 44 (5305 views)
Shortcut

glad to hear that. anyway dun worry much. she'll gain more courage as time goes, no doubt about it. you're going to take your dog to the malacca dog show? wow. i too hope to take my dog for a dog show one day... but fear that my dog does not reach up to the breed standards well...

is your dog bought from a breeder? or a petshop? mine is for petshop... so he's not quite the "champion" (although he's always a champion in my heart).

well. anyway, for me, i'm gonna go compete for obedience trials instead.. i heard the next one will be...... next year? sigh. long time to go. wanna take my golden boy for pre-novice and novice trials.

say.... who's rex?

boon
Doggyman

Nov 12, 2002, 10:48 AM

Post #9 of 44 (5304 views)
Shortcut

Hi Luckey, Hunter,

I have the opposite problem as what Luckey face today, Bonney is so brave to jump on those doggies that is bigger than her and sniffed till some doggies run away from her....if i sociliaze her more often will solve my problem ?

Hunter : By the way Rex is CD Moo's labrador.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

wkser
ALPHA

Nov 12, 2002, 6:19 PM

Post #10 of 44 (5299 views)
Shortcut

hi ,
i think you will solve you problem if you bring luckey to meet other doggie often.....there more luckey get to meet them she will be braver......

regards
kangser and nous

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 13, 2002, 4:56 AM

Post #11 of 44 (5287 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Scared & Shy when out [In reply to] Can't Post

wow how do you get your bonney so brave?!

Took Luckey to the office this evening to meet everyone there... she was also a bit wary at first (of the lift, then of this drilling sound, and all these people) but gradually she made friends and did tricks for everyone.

but she still ran back to me & my hubby when all the tricks and treats were finished!

hunter
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 13, 2002, 6:32 AM

Post #12 of 44 (5285 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Scared & Shy when out [In reply to] Can't Post

hey boon,

well.. as i said... my dog was so timid when he goes out of walk at first.... then.... as time grows he just loves walking so much - to the extent that he became..uhhh - a wee bit too brave.

well. i guess your dog's braveness should be defined as "over excited at other dog's presence" right? my dog too faces the same problem especially during young age. jumping around, pulling me like a puppet, and whining like crazy. well, if you socialize her more i guess it'll be better - at least she wouldn't go crazy i guess (but this treatment didn't work for my dog - he just gets wild like a monkey).

it's kinda weird. after a rough start at his classes he's been behaving well with other dogs presence (he used to be the butt sniffer in class). no more prancing on them. no more sniffing butts. i guess this takes times to make them get used to. perhaps exposing them to more dogs does help. however, it is advised that u don't let your leash loose and let her sniff as her wish and get too excited. a little restrain is required.
[reply]

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Nov 13, 2002, 8:41 AM

Post #13 of 44 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Luckey's allowed in the office? Sounds like she had fun though. Wink

-= Tisha =-

boon
Doggyman

Nov 13, 2002, 8:43 AM

Post #14 of 44 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Hi Hunter,

OK will try that.

Thanz.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

ginl
ALPHA

Nov 13, 2002, 11:32 PM

Post #15 of 44 (5267 views)
Shortcut

Hi Luckey,

When your pup is feeling scared or if she is shivering, try not to console her or pat her, this will only reinforce the behaviour....to her she might think you are telling her it's ok to feel like that....instead ignore her behaviour and continue walking....this may sound cruel to us but it's necessary for the dog.....this applies to situations like thunderstorms or anything loud that might scare a dog.

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 14, 2002, 12:42 AM

Post #16 of 44 (5262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginl] Scared & Shy when out [In reply to] Can't Post

ok, will try that thanks! Although she is now OK with the outsiders she has seen a few times, but still not when strangers stare at her. She doesn't shake now, but she is definitely uneasy when people she dont know stare at her.

i have three days till the show! eeks, hope i can get her socialized well by then! wish me luck!

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 14, 2002, 12:43 AM

Post #17 of 44 (5261 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PyRoMaNiAc] Scared & Shy when out [In reply to] Can't Post

haha... yeah. she's a sweetie and everyone there loves her. I cant bring her in too often though. guards won't like.

ginl
ALPHA

Nov 14, 2002, 12:45 AM

Post #18 of 44 (5260 views)
Shortcut

Good luck for the show! Luckey is a beauty....hope she'll win some ribbons and do u proud Smile

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 14, 2002, 12:58 AM

Post #19 of 44 (5258 views)
Shortcut

thanks Smile now we'll ahve to win one just for you!

hey (i mightve asked you b4) do you show Biscuit?

ginl
ALPHA

Nov 14, 2002, 1:15 AM

Post #20 of 44 (5255 views)
Shortcut

naahh....he doesn't hv a nice comformation for his breed....even if he had it wud also be hard coz all the excitement of the showing wud make him crazy lol....probably end up jumping at the judge and licking the judge's face!

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 14, 2002, 1:16 AM

Post #21 of 44 (5254 views)
Shortcut

i'm sure he'd get something... maybe waggiest tail. Or cutest dog! (better than best conformation prize me thinks!) WinkWink

cdmoo
ALPHA

Nov 14, 2002, 6:40 PM

Post #22 of 44 (5247 views)
Shortcut

hi Luckey,

Pls. do. Rex is looking forward to that! Smile

Smile

CD Moo, wet & cold Shanghai..

ashley
ALPHA

Dec 3, 2002, 12:34 AM

Post #23 of 44 (5223 views)
Shortcut

halo!! may be u can try to bring ur puppy to meet ur frend 1st, cos my chihuahua also like this.BlushShe very scared. When i bring her our she will shy and the whole body shiver. but at home she will be the "owner" of all the dog!! So may be u can try it !!Wink
~~~ AsHLeY ~~~

()""..()
("'( ,0)
( G_)

luckey
ALPHA

Dec 3, 2002, 7:12 AM

Post #24 of 44 (5216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ashley] Scared & Shy when out [In reply to] Can't Post

hi ashley... been trying to take luckey out as much as poss... she is getting much better now... no more shakes. Still a bit wary of strangers but I guess that'll take a few more outings to cure. What kinda dog do you have?

PyRoMaNiAc
Canine Addict

Dec 3, 2002, 5:42 PM

Post #25 of 44 (5211 views)
Shortcut

Just realized that Mocca's wary of other dogs... Maybe Luckey and Mocca could learn to overcome this problem together Wink

-= Tisha =-

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my