Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Eye Care and Conditions:
help my dog has gone blind

ann ford
New User

Dec 22, 2003, 7:10 AM

Post #1 of 9 (12410 views)
Shortcut
help my dog has gone blind Can't Post

I have a shih tzu who is 5 years old and has just gone blind. I also have a shih tzu puppy who is 6 months old. How do you cope with a blind dog? She seems to find her way around and after a couple of weeks where she seemed to be back to her old self, for 2 days she has been quite grumpy and is snapping at the puppy and growling a lot at the family. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 22, 2003, 7:35 AM

Post #2 of 9 (12407 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ann ford] help my dog has gone blind [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there,

is ur shih tzu completely blind?

from what i've read and learnt, ur shih tzu would do just fine in ur house if she's been living there for some time... this is becoz she would be familiar with her surroundings and would not have problem finding her way around the house... also, unlike human, dogs' primary sense is smell... so she'll sniff her way around... i think the puppy would be a good guide dog for the blind shih tzu...

send my hugs to both ur shih tzus...

Smile
Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

RealityDreamer
Doggyman

Dec 22, 2003, 5:31 PM

Post #3 of 9 (12398 views)
Shortcut

Ai Ney is right Smile

You could put a bell on your young shih tzu to help guide the older one.
,-._,-.
\/)"(\/
(_o_)

surchinmy
Ultra ALPHA

Dec 22, 2003, 7:01 PM

Post #4 of 9 (12395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ann ford, ai_ney] help my dog has gone blind [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello ...

Have several friends who have older dogs with failing or poor eyesight ... and blind dogs ... By and large these dogs dog do quite well ... As ai_ney mentioned their remaining senses seem to compensate for the loss of sight ... So - not to worry ...

As, for the grumpy bit ... the loss of sight would make any dog (or anyone of us) grumpy ... Give your dog a bit of time and am sure everything will settle down ...

Patience and lots of love ... best solutions to most problems ... Smile

Cheers Smile

Jenniko
Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2004, 2:47 AM

Post #5 of 9 (12321 views)
Shortcut

Hello Ann,

Why not you consult the vet and see what he has to say about your dog's behavior?

My bf's dog has one eye blind...and I guess the other eye is not that well too...but surprisingly he can walk anywhere and seems to have no problem seeing his things...just that sometimes he cannot see the people clearly and will start barking even at the family members...hehe...

I think I agree with the other member saying that unlike human, dog relies more on their smell ability to move around...

Anyway, I still think best if you can consult the vet...after all they are the professional...right?

Take care.

Love,
Jennifer

~Julie - My beloved mixed terrier ~
**Always in memory**
--Rest in Peace--

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

May 19, 2006, 5:14 AM

Post #6 of 9 (11342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jenniko] help my dog has gone blind [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey I have an one eyed dog too... She was using too much of her good eye and seem popping out.. I asked the vet he said.. nothing much he can do... He was the one who tried to save her eye.. My older female dog snap at her and bitten her eye out of the socket.. Such a horrible scene... Tried to save her eye but coudn't so in the ennd have to remove the eye ball... You think she will go blind her good eye. I heard people telling me she might go blind eventually and now I am very worry.. She already had such a hard life.. No thanks to my female dog.. I am still angry at her... I don't want her to be completely blind.. If so anything I have to prepare myself to when she really blide completely? Thanks.. Fiona

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

May 19, 2006, 5:14 AM

Post #7 of 9 (11342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jenniko] help my dog has gone blind [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey I have an one eyed dog too... She was using too much of her good eye and seem popping out.. I asked the vet he said.. nothing much he can do... He was the one who tried to save her eye.. My older female dog snap at her and bitten her eye out of the socket.. Such a horrible scene... Tried to save her eye but coudn't so in the ennd have to remove the eye ball... You think she will go blind her good eye. I heard people telling me she might go blind eventually and now I am very worry.. She already had such a hard life.. No thanks to my female dog.. I am still angry at her... I don't want her to be completely blind.. If so anything I have to prepare myself to when she really blide completely? Thanks.. Fiona

junwong
New User

Jul 24, 2006, 8:16 PM

Post #8 of 9 (11110 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ai_ney] help my dog has gone blind [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey There Ai_Ney, I notice that your little pug has one eye gone blind. My Peke had one eye gone blind recently. Eyeballs popped out. Just wanted to check on your experience on this. Was it traumatic? Did your pug have any problems using only 1 eye? You taking any special care/precaution in taking care of the good eye? Appreciate your advice Unsure

ai_ney
Ultra ALPHA

Aug 1, 2006, 12:35 AM

Post #9 of 9 (11082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [junwong] help my dog has gone blind [In reply to] Can't Post

hi there,

sorry to hear about yr dog... my pug still sees with both eyes, she is not one eye blind... does the picture look like she is? Crazy

so i do not have any first hand experience to share with you... however i have interacted with a few dogs who are blind in one eye... i must say it does not bother the dog as much as it bothers us... being the owner, i'm sure it was a traumatic experience... i hope other members here who has experience in this matter could share them here...

Sookie's Photo Gallery
DON'T BREED AND BUY, WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE.
EVERY DOG SHOULD HAVE A HOME.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my