Home

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
FAQ FAQ & HELP FAQ PHOTO GALLERY Who's Online WHO'S
IN

Home: Dog Sports, Schutzhund, Protection, Tracking,.....: Schutzhund & Protection Dogs:
German Shepherd

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

prodog
Novice

Oct 31, 2003, 12:31 AM

Post #226 of 251 (6457 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mackmack] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi ,

Couldn't make it last Sunday. Did you manage to meet any of the working dog 'kakis'?

Polluxx
Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2003, 4:04 AM

Post #227 of 251 (6451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prodog] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Prodog,

No problem...!

Sorry to hear abt ur dog's experience wt this bad trainer. I thk these ppl should be named for the harmed they have done..! Mad

Anyway its good to hear that ur dogs has improved a lot alredi. So how did u calm his bite..?? ...more running wt the prey item..?? Tongue

as for me , I m still trying to improve my dog's focus & attention, though the bite is much firmer now. But not setting my hopes too high though....Wink

BTW how old is ur dobbie ...? where did u get him..?

"Show me your dog and I'll tell you what manner of man you are."
(GSD Founder - Capt Max V Stephanitz)

prodog
Novice

Oct 31, 2003, 7:19 AM

Post #228 of 251 (6445 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Polluxx] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Polluxx

Yeah, had enough of these trainers. I've actually met quite a number and their technique is pretty similar. In obedience, its nothing but compulsion. In protection, its basically biting out of defence when cornered. My suggestion to people is even if they decide to send their dogs for training, they should first educate themselves in order to scrutinise the trainers.

I'd once worked a dog that was trained by one of the more popular trainers. This dog was so hectic and chewy that he'd literally typewrite from the hand to the shoulder. Just came to the conclusion that you can protection train in 2 months but don't expect too much.

My dobe is 3 yrs old and is of local breeding from mixed bloodlines, neither 100% show or working. Just calmed his bite with more running with the prey, gentle stroking while in my arms and only outing him occasionally.

mackmack
Doggyman

Oct 31, 2003, 11:25 PM

Post #229 of 251 (6435 views)
Shortcut

Hi prodog~

I met Azman with his Petra, and Boon loh. They showed LIFE DEMO in KK!!LaughTongue

--I have Howling Bean and Lazy Mack.--

(This post was edited by mackmack on Oct 31, 2003, 11:25 PM)

Polluxx
Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2003, 4:53 AM

Post #230 of 251 (6422 views)
Shortcut

Hi prodog,

Quote:
""My suggestion to people is even if they decide to send their dogs for training, they should first educate themselves in order to scrutinise the trainers.""
---------------------------------------------------------
Now that is where this board comes in, to educate & inform so that in the future no such "trainer" can take any of us here for a "ride". Mad

Quote:
""Just came to the conclusion that you can protection train in 2 months but don't expect too much""
-----------------------------------------------------------
There is no short cut in protection training....instead of getting a trained dog ...we might end up wt a major LIABILTY problem ! !

Anyway keep working your dogs, & good luck to your training ! ! Tongue

BTW do e-mail me : Polluxx@puppy.com.sg

vicfion
Ultra ALPHA

Nov 12, 2003, 6:15 AM

Post #231 of 251 (6383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stanleywong] German Shepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

I may not own 1 but I get to babysit my friend's mix German Shepherd whenever they are out of town back in the States (unfortunately she was killed by a car accident)... I had been seeing so many nice ones around my area here in Malaysia... you have a photo of your dog to share? Just wondering... Fiona
Attachments: babysittingforfriend.jpg (18.7 KB)

GSD
Dog Kichi

Nov 28, 2003, 6:21 AM

Post #232 of 251 (6350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PSD] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, I can find alot of useful info here. Great work.

Steven
Penang Island.

Polluxx
Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2003, 7:10 AM

Post #233 of 251 (6329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GSD] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Steven,

Glad U can join us here ! Cool

Feel free to chk out the goodies here...he he he ! Wink

Have fun ! Tongue

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 17, 2003, 11:52 PM

Post #234 of 251 (6288 views)
Shortcut

Polluxx,

You are right that this board tries to serve as desktop help....lol. But remember, at best it serves to strengthen the understanding. To train still needs some physical guidance, unless there is someone with a natural talent......I have not met that person yet....lol

You are right again that protection training is more than a 2 months rush job. Always remember, a protection dog is a courageous dog, a companion, a socially able dog, confident and always reliable under command. He reacts only under threat otherwise he is your furry nice golden retriever wagging his tail around.

To train a dog to bite needs only 2 months, to get a reliable companion who will be willing to give his life for you takes a lifetime. Therefore, if anyone is a person whom is truely looking for a fearless companion, you have to make an effort and be a part of his training. This is meant for all aspiring people whom really enjoys great relationship with their dog, you have to make this choice.

PSD

"Take this trouble for me:
Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

Rittmeister Capt. Max von Stephanitz (1864-1936)

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 18, 2003, 12:13 AM

Post #235 of 251 (6286 views)
Shortcut

Steven,

Were you the one whom enquired about GSD's and Rotts some time ago?

Have you finally got your pups?

PSD

Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim ."

GSD
Dog Kichi

Dec 18, 2003, 7:25 AM

Post #236 of 251 (6271 views)
Shortcut

PSD + doggy lover,

Yes, I'm looking for GSD and rotts. But for some reason, I think I will get a GSD/3-4 months puppy only at around march 04. Now is the time for me to gether more info. about GSD (also rotts at the same time).

Another question, should I get a male (dog) or female (bitch) ? Thinking to go for bitch, I heard that bitches are in season -- every 6 months, right ? And during this time frame, will it be very messy ? What are the steps I need to take note during this time frame ? Any advise or experience ? I think I should restrict her from other dogs for 3 weeks, right ?

Last, I'm trying to search for a training book/guide for beginner, more toward step by step training working dog(like GSD). Example, like after 3 months, what are the common and general training for a working dog. And after how many months, I can start with some dog biscuit or meat ?, etc.... Any suggestion ?

Basically, I don't expect my doggy to be the 'expert' or 'champ', I just need to have a doggy which can watch my house, and listern to my command. Off course s/he must be a healthy dog. Cool

Steven
Penang Island.

PSD
ALPHA

Dec 18, 2003, 10:46 PM

Post #237 of 251 (6259 views)
Shortcut

PSD + doggy lover?????? I'm a bit lost here....Crazy Forgive my slowness, maybe had been mixing with too many dogs...lolTongue

You did correctly, not many people is as responsible in researching the breed and requirements so throughly first before buying. They just usually jump on the bandwagon and see where that took them.Unsure......

A male or a bitch is all a matter of choice. As a general guidance, most females are closer to the family, as such they could be easier trained and respond better more of feminity I think. The male on the other hand can be a bit more aloof and gung-ho especially the dominant ones. They need to be handled correctly. However if you have a good bond and treets your dog is an fair anf firm way then male of female does not matter. The heat in bitches in general comes every 6 months, some longer. In such time, you must be responsible to keep them safe from any would be rapistTongue. Some dogs are very clean while others will drips.

You can find out more about training books at another thread started by Reality Dreamer. For you I wouold recomend u go for Purely Positive Training. It is voted the best book of the year. Works both for beginers as well as professionals.

From what I see, you are looking for a great pet whom is expected to be a good watch dog. If possible in future you would want to see if he can be turned into a Guard dog whom would fearlessly defend your home from any intruder right?

My advice is, Look not for the sex of the puppy. Just go a see the whole litter. Then select a candidate whom is of good temprement, good nerve and social and it also appeals to you too in that order of priority.

Which state are you in BTW? You can reply me personally if you decided not to go public at

PSD

(This post was edited by PSD on Dec 18, 2003, 10:49 PM)

GSD
Dog Kichi

Dec 21, 2003, 5:14 AM

Post #238 of 251 (6238 views)
Shortcut

hello, I'm from Pg, what about U ? where U come from ? Mind to tell ?

Steven
Penang Island.

Landsend
New User

Jan 10, 2004, 2:58 PM

Post #239 of 251 (6137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mhazman] German Shepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Mhazman,

I have been trying to PM you but it will not go through. I just wanted to talk with you about your pup who is the son of Norbo. We are about to get a male whose father is Norbo and we wanted your input. We wanted to know how good he is with kids and the like. We wanted to do Sch and also train him as a therapy dog. Any input would be great

PSD
ALPHA

Jan 10, 2004, 6:09 PM

Post #240 of 251 (6134 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Landsend] German Shepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Landsend,

Welcome to the board. Mind introducing yourself a bit. Are you in Malaysia as at now?

BTW about Norbo he is known to produce hard dogs. Perfect candidate of Personal Protection work. However as in any breeding, magics does not happen because of only one dog. It depends on how strong the mother is and then how the interaction of genetics properties that will tell you if the progeny is going to be magical of washout. It would be good if you can find out if this is a repeat litter of the same sire and dam. Then you can know clearer. Otherwise your chances is mere guesses as good as mine.

BTW, in one same litter, you can get very outstanding puppy but as well as washout. Still a puppy for your selection if you are going into SchH needs to be specially selected on its own merits and not just Lineage alone. This is my opinion.

Yes, saying that, Norbo is one such magical dog and nice to see in a pedigree. But I personally would want to see the puppy having the drives for the work before any pedigree which should be secondary. hope this helps.

Over to you Azman.

PSD

mhazman

Jan 12, 2004, 6:23 PM

Post #241 of 251 (6113 views)
Shortcut

Landsend,
Sorry for the late reply. What my friend PSD said is true for most dogs.
FYI, I got the dog as a young adult with PP training.
Although Norbo is hard, my dog also gets the hardness from the dam side ( Gero). His mother is also hard to the handler. But that's just my dog. He's the type I need when my family is threatened.
With all that's was said, he is handled by my children between 4 - 12 yrs.
Depending on the dam and your training, Norbo's son would do well in sports or service dogs. But if you wanna do therapy, it may require the right temperament for the task. Puppy test should be done to get the right candidate for the job.

BTW, is this your 1st pup. Are u in Klang Valley ?

Tell us abt yourself.

cheers

Azman

Landsend
New User

Jan 12, 2004, 7:26 PM

Post #242 of 251 (6108 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mhazman] German Shepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for the reply. A tad about myself first:

I live in the US in Texas with my wife and 2 kids. We have another dog but have never owned a shepherd. The litter we have found is with Norbo as the father and another Czech shepherd as the dam. I guess the big question is we know that we can do Sch which we want to do but how will they be with kids? This pup is not the alpha of the litter he is in the middle. He was very good in the temperament test. Had strong drives but was social and stayed near the tester when he was supposed to. So, having the dog that you have with the experience that you have do you feel that with the right socialization a male from this background can be good with kids and good with other dogs? Let me know what you think. I love this website. Lots of great info!!

Lands

mhazman

Jan 13, 2004, 1:28 AM

Post #243 of 251 (6100 views)
Shortcut

Hi Lands,
You're quite a long way from here.

If you've done the puppy test then early socialization to kids, strangers and new environments should make him/her social.
Most czech dogs can start their training earlier, so you should develop the drives and watch for these signs when it comes out.
One thing I notice abt my dog is that his willingness to do anything you command ( such as jump or go into an unknown place) may hurt him. Mine is also a bit overzealous in protecting me which may hurt others.But then I wanted a PP dog.. hee .. he...
Otherwise he's fun to be with.

Good luck on your pup.

cheers

Azman

boon
Doggyman

Jan 13, 2004, 8:46 AM

Post #244 of 251 (6093 views)
Shortcut

Hi Landsend,

In Reply To

I guess the big question is we know that we can do Sch which we want to do but how will they be with kids?

A good and well trained GSD, be it in the service dog like PP, Patrolling, Police Dog, or Sport like Shutzhund, when they're in 'work' u will see the real them. But when they're at home with kids and friends, they're just like your normal pet. This is the beatiful part of GSD, a well trained GSD.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

Kowpa

Jan 13, 2004, 9:52 AM

Post #245 of 251 (6090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] German Shepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

You have see it, feel it, touch it They are well controlled, That's what we called working dog and not crazy dog. Like what I heard from SCHUTZHUND DOGS are killer. Now Tell them thru your experient

boon
Doggyman

Jan 13, 2004, 4:23 PM

Post #246 of 251 (6087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kowpa] German Shepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Kowpa,

Yeah....well trained, u have control any all time and obey to command without fails. A happy dog, happy end product..........

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

inter K9
New User

Nov 11, 2004, 8:10 PM

Post #247 of 251 (5157 views)
Shortcut

No Blek is no longer in the U S .I have purchase himSmile at the moment he is on lease in Sweden and had bred Irsa z Lipin who should have puppies on the ground sometime this week.And he just bred to Saprina Policia .Blek will stay in Sweden and then soon will come to my Kennel here in Australia.If every thing go well .you can view his info here /

Inter K9

boon
Doggyman

Nov 12, 2004, 8:17 AM

Post #248 of 251 (5140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [inter K9] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jim,

Is Blek now in Kottorp ?..... whe do u think he will be in down under ?

(This post was edited by boon on Nov 12, 2004, 8:19 AM)

inter K9
New User

Nov 12, 2004, 4:19 PM

Post #249 of 251 (5129 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Boon

If every thing go well in the next six months if not I will bring in semen from Blek for future use.At the moment puppy from Blek and Irsa is on the ground as we speak.I also have a bitch that just mate to him and she should be here in about four weeks.She is Saprina Policia if you are interest let me know.

Jim (Inter K9 Solutions)

boon
Doggyman

Nov 13, 2004, 2:14 AM

Post #250 of 251 (5114 views)
Shortcut
Re: [inter K9] germanshepherd [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Jim,

Wow congrats...

Will do so....keep in touch...

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my