arthur
ALPHA

Nov 5, 2002, 9:29 AM

Post #26 of 277 (170466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ccsy98] Grooming of M Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ccsy98,

You asked..

"Q1. you mentioned size 10, but mine doesn't state the size, it just say 1.5mm, is it the same?"

A1. Yes, it's the same. #10 blade will leave hair 1.6mm in length. Generally, the larger the number, the shorter will the hair be eg. #40 blade leaves hair 0.25mm whereas #3 blade leaves 0.5inches.

2. I can't clip the ear as short as the groomers (both inside and outside) so how can i do it?

A2. Have you tried to clip going AGAINST the hair grain? This is how they achieve a close clip. Otherwise, you'll probably have to #15blade.

3. Do you think it is advisable to go to a professional groomer to take up lesson? (I know of a place that charge RM300 for a 5 hours "how to groom your own dog" course)

A3. If the groomer knows how to groom a schnauzer properly and you have seen his/her handiwork, then I suppose RM300 for 5hrs seems reasonable. Definetly worth it if they allow you to test on a live subject as well. The art of grooming does not only includes the grooming proper itself, you must be able to handle the dog properly especially the "difficult" ones who bites, won't stand still, etc...

Hope this helps. Rdgs Arthur

elizatye
K9 Senior

Nov 6, 2002, 5:39 PM

Post #27 of 277 (170455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [arthur] Grooming of M Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Arthur,

Yes! I had visited the website you mentioned. I almost understand that what equipment I needed for grooming my puppy and I already have a simple idea how to groom my puppy. Tongue

A few more question to ask. Smile How often should we groom our puppy? There are many large knots found on his hairs the time I brought him back and I was used the scissors to clip off all the knots. Is this the correct way? Or I should only have to brush off the knots by using the comb?

Thanks a lot Wink

Best Regards

arthur
ALPHA

Nov 6, 2002, 6:07 PM

Post #28 of 277 (170449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [elizatye] Grooming of M Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Eliza,

You asked "How often should we groom our puppy?" Ans: No fixed time as it is determined by how fast your puppy hair grows out. But generally, between 3-6weeks period.

You also asked "...used the scissors to clip off all the knots. Is this the correct way? Or I should only have to brush off the knots by using the comb?" Ans: Try using your hands to separate out the knots as much as possible followed by a comb with medium teeth. Remember to hold the fur close to the skin while you untangle the knot to prevent pain for your puppy. Sometimes using a mink oil spray helps to ease the knots by adding lubrication to the fur. If it's really hopeless, then only use a scissors to trim off the knot. Try to snip the knot lengthwise, do NOT cut across the fur. For further info, read the section on brushing from the AMSC website under pet grooming. Hope this helps.

Rdgs Arthur

elizatye
K9 Senior

Nov 6, 2002, 7:32 PM

Post #29 of 277 (170442 views)
Shortcut

Would like to say thanks again to you (also on behalf of my loved puppy). There were really many things learned from you. Smile

Best Regards.

Eliza

arthur
ALPHA

Nov 6, 2002, 7:51 PM

Post #30 of 277 (170439 views)
Shortcut

Hi Eliza,

You are most welcome.Smile It's always a pleasure to help out another fellow mini schnauzer owner. Here's hoping your puppy's eyebrows will grow back to their original length soon! Another thing, it is not necessary to bath your puppy too often as this will result in their fur becoming very dry and frizzy. Once a week should be enough. (unless your puppy is super active and keeps getting into messy situations!Wink)

Rdgs Arthur

ccsy98
Dog Kichi

Nov 6, 2002, 8:19 PM

Post #31 of 277 (170424 views)
Shortcut

Thanks Arthur,

Will tried that the grooming her ears this weekend. Bought her a little swimming pool, wonder will she enjoy it....

Thanks again!

arthur
ALPHA

Nov 6, 2002, 8:34 PM

Post #32 of 277 (170420 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ccsy98] Grooming of M Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Ccsy98,

Let me know how it turns out (the ear grooming). So you got her a little swimming pool? How nice!Smile Is it a solid wall type or a fully rubber plastic thingy? I havent tried it yet on my mini schnauzers but I have a feeling they don't like water very much... What they like is to chase birds, bark at cats and play catch with each other.

Rdgs Arthur

bingo
Novice

Nov 6, 2002, 9:13 PM

Post #33 of 277 (170415 views)
Shortcut

hi eliza i m bingo here also a schnauzer fans , may i know u bought your puppy frm pet shop or???
n if u have time, better massage his ears so that wont stand up later like a bunny as mine , but mine he is proper trainned by breeder last time when i ought him , cos his mother only give birth to one, that is mine baby! any yours is salt n pepper or???
mind i f we can share our experience ?
anyway hope to hear frm u soon

elizatye
K9 Senior

Nov 7, 2002, 6:25 PM

Post #34 of 277 (170403 views)
Shortcut

Hi Arthur,

I bath my puppy twice a week, because he like to play around in the garden at the back of our house. And the garden there is quite dirty Unsure . Instead of bathing him, can I just give him a 'dry clean'... like clean with wet tissue or wet tower ?

Thanks and Best Regards.

Eliza

elizatye
K9 Senior

Nov 7, 2002, 6:32 PM

Post #35 of 277 (170401 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bingo] Grooming of M Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Bingo,

So you are another schnauzer fans ah. Your puppy is very cute ah. Are you groomed him yourself. Your puppy's ears not only stand up firmly but also seem quite big and cute! You sure you didn’t cut it? Ei.. Somebody purposely sent their MS to vet to cut their ear, so that they will stand up loh! But I prefer let my puppy’s ear grow naturally lah!

I bought my puppy, yippi, from the pet shop 3 months ago, now he is already 6 ˝ months old. His is a salt & pepper, male schnauzer. Before I bought him, I already knew about MS in the TV show. I knew that they are very playful and active. I also love his eyebrows and muzzle whiskers very much. That’s why at the first sight of him, I already decided to buy him back.

Good ah! So now you no need to train your puppy ah! I have to. Now yippi knew where to pee pee and poo poo, shake hands and sit. He is very greedy. He likes to eat human foods like bread, buns and … moon cake. Now he seems not so interested in his own dog food, except the biscuit, which he loved very much. Did you fed your puppy with fruit? I didn’t fed yippi with fruits but last week he 'curi makan' Crazy, completed almost a full fuji apple. Fortunately nothing happened to him, like plek plekkkk......Smile

I’m still quite new in Schnauzer. Mind to tell more about your puppy? How old is your puppy… what you feed him… what he love much… what he dislike… is he easy to bath … and etc. Where you bought him ah?

Eliza

bingo
Novice

Nov 8, 2002, 7:04 AM

Post #36 of 277 (170390 views)
Shortcut

hi Eliza, nice to hear frm u ! By the way i did the grooming myself! cos i like to design the own pattern heheh!Smilenow i feed him on Eukanuba Lamb n Rice n i didnt give him fruits.. cos scared may be cirit-birit, n i used to give him Boiled eggs n a little sugar mixed with dog biscuits !! is good for fur n i think u shdnt pampered your puppy , give him only dog biscults , he will sure eat when he is hungry n give me the food , make sure he know that is his n eat when u give him , if he just ignore n thougt can have that meal anytime cos u put it there, so u sdh train him like once u give the food , he shd know he have to eat it n wont hanging around n playing, if he dun wanna eat, take it away ! then he will know , when u give him the food , he have to eat , stop playing!

i bought my boy frm breeder, where u used to know how to obey during bath , he wont jumping aorund when i m trying to dry him up! that is advantages of buying frm breeder, i saw that is one breeeder in penang, even teaching her male puppy schnauzer to pee n poo on paper! that puppy is only 2 months old! but unfortunately she dun have female, only have male , so i , actually love that boy so much , so broad the body structure n nice body! emmm may be no fate for me to bring him back!
so i think if u can ,snapped your puppy photo n u can post it here so u can show your puupy to us!!
Anway thanx for your reply Eliza n what brand of dog food u feed on him?

stephee78

Nov 8, 2002, 10:45 PM

Post #37 of 277 (170380 views)
Shortcut

Hi Elizatye

I Just brought a Minature Schnauzer , he about 3 months old (Male). They look so cute when they were young.

I'm sorry i couldn't solve your problem but i will face the same problme in future Tongue

Stephanie

elizatye
K9 Senior

Nov 9, 2002, 3:35 AM

Post #38 of 277 (170369 views)
Shortcut

Hi bingo,
I changed yippi for a few brands of dog food already, Pedigree, Purina, Eagle Pack, and now Science Diet. See. I don't know how many brands have I need to change for him again. If he didn't having his food for a day, I will very 'sakit hati' already. I'll try to give him some other foods. But even he doesn't like his own food, he can finished others in a very fast speed. Initially while he just back from the pet shop, he seems love the dog food very much. May be I really too pamper him already Unsure.
You know how to groom your puppy ah. Where you learn how to grooming from? How old is he? Is he still a puppy?

elizatye
K9 Senior

Nov 9, 2002, 3:51 AM

Post #39 of 277 (170368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stephee78] Grooming of M Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Stephanie,

Smile Congratulate! You made a very good decision. You will find out how nice, joyful and fun to have a MS. But don't like me loh, too manja my puppy already. If you don't know how to groom your puppy, want to send him to the groomer, better make a research first. And send him to a real grooming profesional. But it is good if you know how to groom your puppy. I'm now begin to learn how to groom my puppy. Wish you and me good luck!

boon
Doggyman

Nov 9, 2002, 4:25 AM

Post #40 of 277 (170366 views)
Shortcut

Hi Eliza,

Em....initialli Bonney was on Alpo (when she still with her parents), when i bought him back, i give pedigree, after a while and a little of research, i choose not to stick with this, and i move on to Eukanuba, at first she doesn;t seem to like it, but what to do, i gotta to hand feed her ever meal...heheheh manja too much, she was on Eukanuba for 2 15KG pack (about 2 months), but i still not very happy with this, so now i finally settle with the natural formulated kibble which doesn;t conitan BDH,BDT perservative that will eventuallu cause cancer for your furkids. So now i am about to change to Nutro Natural Choice with wil get rids of most of the _______by meal ingerdients. Innova will be in my list as well. I will try these two out one by one and see which fit Bonney best. Is up to her to choose anyway.

I will mixed with some milk (low fat milk) in the kibble if she don't feel like want to eat, for her dinner, i will either mixed with boiled chicken breast (boneless) or beef.

This make her happy enough to finish her meal in a reasonable amount of time.

Hope this help.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

arthur
ALPHA

Nov 9, 2002, 6:21 AM

Post #41 of 277 (170364 views)
Shortcut

Hi Eliza,

By all means you can dry clean him. After a walk round the neighbourhood, I will brush out the dirt and other stuff that gets stuck in their fur especially the leg furnishings. After that, I wipe them with a damp cloth starting from the muzzle, body, legs and finally their paws. Another tip, after their meals, try to clean the beard with a tissue paper, ideally the big kitchen paper towels. Minis are clean doggies. If they smell, it's normally either from their ears, eyes or beard. Maintain the cleaniless of these 3 areas and you'll get rid of the smell. Twice a week, I also brush their teeth.

Rdgs Arthur

boon
Doggyman

Nov 9, 2002, 11:47 AM

Post #42 of 277 (170359 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] Grooming of M Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Opppss..correction, the write perservatives using by other regular dog food is BHA and BHT.....Blush sorri for wrong info given.BlushAngelicWink

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

elizatye
K9 Senior

Nov 9, 2002, 10:20 PM

Post #43 of 277 (170350 views)
Shortcut

Hi Boon,
I never heard about these two brands of dog food before. Can it be find in Penang? I used to hand feed yippi too, ha ha ha! Sly You mix your puppy's kibble with milk. Is it for human or for doggie?
I'll try the boiled chicken breast way. Hope yippi will love it.
Thanks a lot n Best Regards.
Eliza

(This post was edited by elizatye on Nov 9, 2002, 10:35 PM)

elizatye
K9 Senior

Nov 9, 2002, 10:39 PM

Post #44 of 277 (170347 views)
Shortcut

Hi Arthur,
Thanks, Thanks, and Thanks a lot. Smile

Best Regards
Eliza

boon
Doggyman

Nov 10, 2002, 11:30 AM

Post #45 of 277 (170343 views)
Shortcut

Hi Eliza,

I think u can't find it in Penang, i bought (actually reservered, thanz to Moo) from Taipan (USJ10), my friend will carry the 18KG pack sell at 15kg price for me this coming tuesday. U can check out more about Nutro on www. nutroproducts.com and Innova from www.naturapet.com

Will u be going for training tomorrow ? See u then. I will probably bring my digital camera to take some shots and upload it here.

Khoo : need ur help to publish it. Thanz in advance.

ccsy98
Dog Kichi

Nov 11, 2002, 7:13 AM

Post #46 of 277 (170341 views)
Shortcut

Hi Arthur and everyone who loves dogs....

The ear grooming went on real well, but I didn't clip it too near the skin, coz her ears are not like the breed standard (flat triangle), it's stick a bit high up, so I kept some of her hair to bring it down....

i tried clipping my mom's earings on her to bring the ears down but she didn't like it, so I gave up...(didn't know that her ears will turn up this way, or I would have brought her to the vet) but she look quite cute and alert now(has a effect of cropped ears)

And the pool, well she didn't quite like it, but she love the treats i threw into the pool for her to fetch!!!

ccsy98
Dog Kichi

Nov 11, 2002, 7:40 AM

Post #47 of 277 (170340 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stephee78] Grooming of M Schnauzer [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Everyone!

It seems that most puppies go through the stage of not eating their food. My Goofy also did that once for about a month....I tried everything from adding milk, rolled oat, cornflakes, a bit of sugar to make her eat....but no...she won't....so I took it away and feed her again at night....but she just eat a bit...started to worry and wanted to change her dog food....

But after a month....she started eating again....not just eat, she gobble her kibbles. Hmmmm....wonder why they refuse to eat?

elizatye
K9 Senior

Nov 11, 2002, 6:10 PM

Post #48 of 277 (170333 views)
Shortcut

Hi Boon,

I had tried to mix boiled potato and boiled egg into the kibble, yippi love it and finished in a few minutes Smile. But I don’t know whether this is the best way to feed him.

Thanks for your info.

Best Regards.

Eliza

khoodouglas
New User

Nov 11, 2002, 11:47 PM

Post #49 of 277 (170324 views)
Shortcut

Hi Bingo. I'm Doug. Currently I'm in Singapore. Intended to come back soon maybe beginning next year. was looking for a male Schnauzer preferably new born. Hope you could help me out. Thanks a bilion.

Let me know. khoodouglas@hotmail.com ;)

shiryne
Novice

Nov 15, 2002, 9:26 PM

Post #50 of 277 (170308 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I own a M schanuzer too, his is three months old, name Malcolm :):)

For the ear problem, i think should be ear mites, very common problem for puppy, you can bring him to se vet and they will advise you what to use. Malcolm have the same problem when he is 2 month old, took him about 2 weeks to recover, not too worry about it.

For grooming, i bring my Malcolm to grooming center once a week, to do the bathing, cleaning the ear, nail cutting and hair styling. I think malcolm hair style very easy to maintain, i only need to comb him once a day :):)

Hope i can slove some of your problem.

Shiryne

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my