Home: Dog & Puppy Health: Canine Hip Dysplasia:
Lameness / Hip Dysplasia in GSD

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 7, 2002, 5:40 AM

Post #1 of 14 (7937 views)
Shortcut
Lameness / Hip Dysplasia in GSD Can't Post

I have a GSD that seems to suffer from weak legs, she keeps getting lame all the time... but the vet cannot tell what it is, there is no injury so it must be internal...

she is very finely bred (show quality dog) so we suspected perhaps it was due to hereditary defects.

But recently, just as she was recovering from her lameness on one of her back legs, she went and hurt one of her front legs.

She doesn't mind us touching her leg, continues to be very boisterous and jumpy, but just that she walks with a definite limp.

The other problem is that she has to be kept in a small compound at the back of the house during the day (so she doesn't run out of the gate) and only gets let out to the whol garden at night. The back compound is mostly concrete, with a ratehr steep grassy slope.

sorry for the lengthy post, but just that we don't know what to do really...

Derrickok
Novice

Nov 7, 2002, 6:05 AM

Post #2 of 14 (7931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luckey] Lameness / Hip Dysplasia in GSD [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, can't help you out here, you'll have to wait for GSD expertsSly
I am a Dalmatian, but I do know for certain that a show quality dog cannot be finely bred - in order words it must have substance - and no ethical breeder would use a sire or dam with hereditary defects to breed. My 2sens worth of opinion

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 7, 2002, 6:25 AM

Post #3 of 14 (7927 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Derrickok] Lameness / Hip Dysplasia in GSD [In reply to] Can't Post

When i say show quality i dont exactly mean she is of show quality (although i must admit she is very beautiful)... just that her dad was imported and was champion in germany as well as here... her mum was a local GSD.

we just suspected hip dysplasia coz we've never had a problem with lameness in any of our previous GSD's - all of which were from friends rather than purchased - this was our first GSD in a long time where we paid quite a bit for, with show champ parents etc.

Derrickok
Novice

Nov 7, 2002, 7:21 AM

Post #4 of 14 (7923 views)
Shortcut

If your GSD is above 8 months old, an X-ray will certainly confirm if it has HD. To carry out an x-ray your dog will have to be GA (general anaesthetic), this will cost you RM 100 - 150. x-ray will be RM50 per picture left and right hip in two positions. 4 pictures in all.
Here again, any technician could perform an x-ray but if the vet is not competent enough to interpret the results, the bottom line will also be zero.
This is all I could tell you. However, there are posts and discussions between me and Leopui last year on HD. If you care to make a search, you will find the answers there.

leopui
K9 Maniac

Nov 7, 2002, 7:43 AM

Post #5 of 14 (7922 views)
Shortcut

Luckey, Do a search from previous posting ... it may help.

If your GSD is below 14 months old, the lamping may be due to high protein intake or over feeding, which affected the bone proper growing. This is known as Pano or what we call "growing-pain!!!
LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

(This post was edited by leopui on Nov 7, 2002, 7:45 AM)

evehock
Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2002, 8:14 AM

Post #6 of 14 (7918 views)
Shortcut

Dear Luckey,

How old is your GSD? I'm not good in advise you about the matter but I would like to share something with you....Smile When Tigger was still puppy, he also had the lameness at hind of his legs... but when he grow bigger, his leg also grow stronger... When I brought him to vet, I always told the vet to check his hind legs... So far, he only show the lameness of his leg 1 or 2 days after he jump and run too much...cos he is hyperactive kid anyway Tongue... I think all GSD prone to have weak hind legsUnsure.

eve

leopui
K9 Maniac

Nov 7, 2002, 8:28 AM

Post #7 of 14 (7917 views)
Shortcut
Re: [evehock] Lameness / Hip Dysplasia in GSD [In reply to] Can't Post

Eve said ... I think all GSD prone to have weak hind legs ...

And Leo's comment: No really ... with proper breeding planned ahead from healthy lineages and proper handling, you will almost never have the chance to own a weak hing leg GSD Smile !!!
LEO PUI
Get REAL, Train REAL & Be REAL! Do RIGHT and FEAR No One!

evehock
Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2002, 5:56 AM

Post #8 of 14 (7898 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leopui] Lameness / Hip Dysplasia in GSD [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear Leo,

Most of the GSD I saw and heard including one in Australia... Have weak hind leg.... I agree with what you say... no properly breed and properly handling...Tongue

Eve

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 11, 2002, 4:10 AM

Post #9 of 14 (7890 views)
Shortcut

Hi everyone... thanks for all your help. Seems like Venus my GSD is ok again (no longer lame)... it's really funny how her lameness seems to go on and off so easily...

evehock
Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2002, 5:40 AM

Post #10 of 14 (7879 views)
Shortcut

Dear Luckey,

Glad to hear that... But you have to watch your Venus....not to gain too much weight( this is for long term... or when they are old...the hind leg might fail to support their weight) and not jumping too high or use the hind leg with great impact... or you will find it limp again... just like mine... Unsure

eve

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 12, 2002, 6:14 AM

Post #11 of 14 (7876 views)
Shortcut

hmmm... Unsure yeah... i don't jump Venus, just my cockers. She was a little bit scared of crossing things like drains etc when young, and i never taught her to jump as a pup, so don't think she'll be starting now. Well, esp with her leg problems as well.

Zoe
Novice

Jan 13, 2004, 9:58 AM

Post #12 of 14 (7648 views)
Shortcut

One reason I find my dog not wanting to cross drains is not because of being afraid. Because she has HD-like symptoms, she feels less confident in doing that. When she was younger, she wont even jump up the car, she'll put two front paws on the back seat and turned around expecting you to help her up. Now, after supplements, she jumps up car back seats but is still warry crossing deep drains. Previously, she wont even climb the stairs and will not even jump up the sofa. She does all these now, climbing stairs daily to sleep with me.

May I suggest you dont push yr Venus to jump (and cross drains) just because she ok now? Let her be and just help her across like I do for Zoe. Once she feels confident enough, she'll do this on her own.

Zoe is on Glucosamine HCL (not sulfate) hip-joint daily supplement. May I also suggest you check with yr vet if this can be useful? Zoe shows marked improvement after going on this - started when she was only 6 mth old.

If you intend to go on Glucosamine, I may have some stories to share.

kaizer
Novice

Sep 21, 2004, 7:15 PM

Post #13 of 14 (7338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zoe] Lameness / Hip Dysplasia in GSD [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a 2 month old GSD and would like to know more about gluocosamine. We were advised to give him that but not sure when to start. Care to share your stories?

Thanks.
Kaizer (GSD), Ceezer (Shih Tzu)

beyond

Nov 7, 2004, 3:25 AM

Post #14 of 14 (7089 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kaizer] Lameness / Hip Dysplasia in GSD [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi..I wonder if u are the 'kaizer' from KVpug?

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my