Home: Members' Area: Members' Introduction:
hello

gmaximus
Novice

Nov 3, 2002, 10:12 AM

Post #1 of 20 (2400 views)
Shortcut
hello Can't Post

hello lovely peoples... i'm a guy who wants to buy a dog as a pet.. and i'm a first timer.. i'm planning to have a toy dog.... please advise me on what dog should i be choosing as i have not much knowledge in pets.

luckey
ALPHA

Nov 3, 2002, 7:35 PM

Post #2 of 20 (2395 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gmaximus] hello [In reply to] Can't Post

As a cocker owner, I recommend cockers, because they are the sweetest dogs ever, but they are also known to have "rage syndrome" especially the reds (golden). Parti-coloreds are more mild natured - so the books say - I am yet to witness that, my Luckey is cute but sometimes very feisty.

They need lots of exercise though, so if you're planning on doing lots of activities with your dog, cockers are great. If not enough exercise they can get very hyper.

They are not "toy dogs" though - but they are not so big that it gets difficult to transport them etc.

bingo
Novice

Nov 5, 2002, 7:02 PM

Post #3 of 20 (2372 views)
Shortcut

hi , first of all i would like to welcome u to this forum n as a first timer, let me ask u a few questions, cos currently i m keeping Miniature Schnauzer n he is so intelligent n alert, if u have time n patient for the grooming , may be u can try schnauzer! if not,u may be prefer short fur puppy like pincher, may be also poodle ( adorable but need grooming also) may be u go n surf at those doggies weebsite n look at those breeds that may suit u or go to book store to have a look!
anyway if u have any querries, u can always reply me n we can share our interest n experience , ok!have a nice day pal!

Khoobg
Webmaster

Nov 5, 2002, 10:16 PM

Post #4 of 20 (2363 views)
Shortcut

Welcome to the forum !

You may want to tell us the environment where you are staying. Is that Condo, Link Houses or Bungalow. The type of dogs that you wish to keep is to a great extend decide by the environment where you will be keeping them. For example, you will not want to buy a GSD or a Golden Retriever if you are staying at condominium. Please update us so that some of the experience members can assist you.

Cheers

Dog Obedience and Agility - http://www.puppy.com.my/ob/
Events' Pictures - http://www.doggie.com.my
Online Pets Memorial - http://www.rainbowsbridge.com.my

gmaximus
Novice

Nov 6, 2002, 12:59 AM

Post #5 of 20 (2353 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khoobg] hello [In reply to] Can't Post

hi to all. thank you for replying to me... anyway.. i'm leaving in a double story house where my car porch can accommodate 3 sedan cars in.... but i don't intend of getting GSD as it's too large and... i feel that this is my first time getting a pet.. i should be considering an easy care as first timer to experience and knows not much about pets...Smile

boon
Doggyman

Nov 6, 2002, 4:23 AM

Post #6 of 20 (2341 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gmaximus,

I have a lab and GSD with me, generally a double story house with enough/reasonable size of compound (after occupied by car(s)) a Labbie will be doing fine. But one thing about labbie, they need a lot of exercise. If the lab is happy with the environment then u will be enjoying the endless love and time that your pup share wiht u. My lab and GSD keep me bz enough when i;m at home.

Boon - I Love Fast Dogs That Hit Hard
You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

gmaximus
Novice

Nov 7, 2002, 11:02 AM

Post #7 of 20 (2327 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] hello [In reply to] Can't Post

hello boon.. thanks for your reply. wow an GSD.. i've always look up for that dog... i father had one before... that wa before i was born.... according to my elder brother he was killed by other ppl with niddles in his head..poor dog even i have not meet him beforeFrown.. anyway i was wondering should we buy a puppy that is 3 months and above or the other way. and all those vacination are done by the breeder it self or are we suppose to do it our self.

gmaximus
Novice

Nov 7, 2002, 11:07 AM

Post #8 of 20 (2326 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
hello boon.. thanks for your reply. wow an GSD.. i've always look up for that dog... i father had one before... that wa before i was born.... according to my elder brother he was killed by other ppl with niddles in his head..poor dog even i have not meet him beforeFrown.. anyway i was wondering should we buy a puppy that is 3 months and above or the other way. and all those vacination are done by the breeder it self or are we suppose to do it our self.anyway do anyone breeds BICHON FRISE.. it looks kinda cute...

boon
Doggyman

Nov 8, 2002, 6:12 AM

Post #9 of 20 (2318 views)
Shortcut

Hi gmaximus,

sad the hear that ur previous GSD was killed by the niddle Pirate. My 2 cents of getting a pupies, i will normally get the pup when he/she is about 8 to 10 weeks old, during this time the pup should have the first jba injected. The following vaccination will mostly bare by the new owner. U can also ask the breeder recommend the vet for u, if u don have one in mind.

You Ask Me To Fight For You, I Give You Freedom & Protection And Then You Question The Manner In Which I Provide It, I'd Rather You Just Said -- "Thank You" --

gmaximus
Novice

Nov 8, 2002, 7:50 AM

Post #10 of 20 (2316 views)
Shortcut

hi boon... what is a JBA jab?... consist of what?... welll... i'm really confused about all the vacination thingi..... can u tell me in details what is what and what should be done at what age and so on..... i dont want to buy a pup and end up dead of some dieseses called distemper...Smileplease i'm begging u sifu boon... teach me something... coz from what i read here... it's really confusing me... i cant really understand things written .... anyway.. i'm a second year student in APIIT.... finishing my higer diploma soon... by next week.... then merdeka...hahahah....then can take care of the pup more frequently when i buy one

valery

Nov 8, 2002, 5:18 PM

Post #11 of 20 (2310 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I have an Australian Sily Terrier and he's simply adorable. Easy to train and is obedient even without much training from us. Real entertaining too with their many adorable ways.

Valery

boon
Doggyman

Nov 9, 2002, 4:56 AM

Post #12 of 20 (2303 views)
Shortcut

Hi gmaximus,

Sorri to confuse u, JBA...hehheBlush is typo error, is jab, not "jba". Normally a breeder will give their litters first jab when the pup is about 5 to 6 weeks, this is the parvo virus jab. 3 weeks to a months later, u have an option of getting a 6 in 1, 7 in 1 or 8 in 1 vaccination. 6 in 1 is the minimum that the puppies require, for 7 in one, this protect ur pup from one more type of virus called Corona, the 8 in 1 will cover whatever 7 in 1, plus the kennel cough (thanz to uncle Derrick for sharing wiht me the xtra one Wink)

Bonney had her firsst jab when she was 6 weeks of age and 10 weeks for her first 6 in 1, 14 weeks her second 6 in 1, 18 weeks for her third 6 in 1. A month later, she had her corona virus jab as well. Now she is going to 6 months of age this coming 17 of Nov. She is also on heartworm prevention tables as she is still growing, so she may not suitable for the annual jab for heartworm.

By the way i'm still new in this dog's world and knowledge is limited, i learn so much from this forum and the Internet. If u do a search on the vaccination topic, u should be able to find a thread that our belove webmaster posted the time and duration between injection.

gmaximus
Novice

Nov 9, 2002, 5:50 AM

Post #13 of 20 (2300 views)
Shortcut

hi vilary and boon... thank you for the information... i'm my self are so so new in this... now as my parents are giving me green light to have a pup... i would like to learn not befor egetting one... vilary u having a silky????...if u dont mind me asking... where did u purchase your silky?...as i was searching from this web the breeders are only the common dogs that are available in easily..i'm looking for a breeder or a person owns a BICHON FRISE... i like that breed.. looks nice.. and i was thinking for a companion dog for my family expescially my dad since he's retired 3 month ago to keep him company..do u all know any more other companion breed available in malaysia?.... i heard that akita dog are ban from malaysia.. it's it tru?... one of my father's friend having an akita in his gudang in klang... look very very garang...scared me off.... are both of u(vilary and boon) in an IT industry?... i'll be graduating next week... after final paper... for higer diploma....Laugh great thing huh....

boon
Doggyman

Nov 9, 2002, 6:36 AM

Post #14 of 20 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Hi gmaximus,

yeap i am from the IT line. Congrat to u....

gmaximus
Novice

Nov 14, 2002, 7:04 AM

Post #15 of 20 (2278 views)
Shortcut

hi boon

wow... what a papper i had yesterday..... damm....anyway... i've found out something from my dad... that day he was watching a show on astro about dogs i think.... not sure what tittle it was... he dog was like helping ppl around and stuff like that.....i notice that he like's a dog breed called golden retriver....i'm going to the website to get more info on golden retriver...going off to do some research...

TILL ALL ARE ONE!!!!!

gmaximus
Novice

Nov 14, 2002, 12:20 PM

Post #16 of 20 (2274 views)
Shortcut
something i found out [In reply to] Can't Post

hi boon agian....

i founded something on golder retriver about their health problems....

Prone to hip dysplasia and congenital eye defects. OFA and CERF certification are important from both parents. Parents should also be checked for Von Willebrand's disease and heart problems. Skin allergies are common in Golden Retrievers and require immediate veterinary attention.

what are the underlines are actually?... boon... since u have a labardor retriver... maybe it have the same health problem... i'll check it out more and will be back with the results...

TILL ALL ARE ONE!!

boon
Doggyman

Nov 15, 2002, 2:01 AM

Post #17 of 20 (2259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gmaximus] something i found out [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Gmaximus,

OK for OFA and CERF is a checkup on the retriever when they reach the year of two. In US, before the breeder decided to breed the female dog, the OFA cert is very important to get the dog "certified" at least with the grade of "Normal/Average".

Check this our for more info : www.offa.org

gmaximus
Novice

Nov 15, 2002, 6:06 AM

Post #18 of 20 (2255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] something i found out [In reply to] Can't Post

boon taiko

does that means all retriver must have that certs?.... meaning that in malaysia it's also been implemented?... ehmmm.... i have a question... since mka has already certified that a dog is a good breed with thier cert, why do we still need the dog license?.... i really need to know the diffrent..... even if we have a toy dog, do we still need a dog license?.....

i'll check out the website u have given it to me.. .thank you....

gmaximus
Novice

Nov 18, 2002, 7:25 AM

Post #19 of 20 (2232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boon] something i found out [In reply to] Can't Post

hello boon.....

i've check out about the von willebrand's disease where most of the animal have the potential to be infectted.... basically it's about bleeding disorder... i dont really know what is that actuallyCrazy

anyway... i have some website for those who own JRT..that might have it....

http://www.terrier.com/breed/vonwill.php3

here's another link on the disease.

http://www.vetinfo.com/dvonwillebrands.html

TILL ALL ARE ONE!!!

boon
Doggyman

Nov 20, 2002, 4:40 AM

Post #20 of 20 (2220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gmaximus] something i found out [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,

OK a cert from MKA or AKC (if in US) is to tell u that the pup is purebreed and it parents, grant parents and way up of the pup's bloodline. The OFA cert is some sort of the "evaluation" of the hip and HD problem. For those who, plan to breed the dog, need this to show or prove to the potential puppies owner taht their sire/dam is "free" from the common and know issue for most of the large breed pedigree.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my