Home: Dog and Puppies Talk: General:
Puppy eating his own stools

Gin
Novice

Jan 4, 2002, 7:21 PM

Post #1 of 4 (3167 views)
Shortcut
Puppy eating his own stools Can't Post

My Shih Tzu tend to eat his own stools occacionally. How to deal with this type of bad habit ? I have stopped him from eating it by shouting NO when I am around. At time, he will eat is before I manage to stop him. Please advice

Derrickok
Novice

Jan 4, 2002, 8:20 PM

Post #2 of 4 (3163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gin] Puppy eating his own stools [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Gin,
U have a mammoth of a problem here. I also have one such shit eater and I am at wit's end on how to solve it. Some will tell you that your dog is suffering from mineral/vitimin deficiency. But I don't think so. It is just a bad habit it has developed along the way.
There are 2 possibilities you could eliminate this loathsome act. (1) try to clean up immediately so that your shih tzu has nothing to eat. or (2) sprinkle pepper and chilli powder on the stool and let him learn a lesson the hard way. I am using the second method and it worked to a certain degree, but there again, dogs have such powerful sense of smell that they seemed to know which are spiced. Since you have only one dog to take care of its stools it is not the same with me when I have eight!
Keep me informed if there is any improvement.
Regards.

Rainbow
Canine Addict

Jan 5, 2002, 5:08 AM

Post #3 of 4 (3153 views)
Shortcut

I read in a book that dogs may eat their stool because " of lack of vitamins, poor appeitite, not enough vegetable matter in diet, also not enough meat." Eating of stools can be also done out of boredom....You might want to look into the diet of your dog..eating poo is like recycling food that has been digested..

I think this has been discussed in the forum before..you might want to do a search..

¸..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ ·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Rainbow -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

jason
Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2002, 6:23 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Hi Gin,

The behavior of stool eating among dogs is called Coprophagia. There are many information and correction methods in dealing with it that you can find in the web. Just try to type in the key word in the search engines and I am sure you can get them.

regards

ear;docked tail;born 11/2001.

Copyright 2001~ 2002 Hileytech Sdn Bhd , All Rights Reserved.  Disclaimer  Privacy Statement
For comments and Suggestion, Please contact the Webmaster at puppy@puppy.com.my